Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

dumping rear gray water tank

We have a rear kitchen model and the sink drains into a gray water tank that runs across the rear of the trailer. The tank dump valve is conveniently located under the trailer behind the rear wheel on the driver side. My slide is on that side so it means crawling under the slide and trailer to dump the tank. The nice thing is that most pedestal areas in a camp ground in Texas are infested with fire ants attracted to the hose spigot. This means crawling through those nifty little guys to dump the tank. I have already added an extension to the dump valve arm and it can't go longer due the proximity to the tire. Anyone have a clever way of working a dump valve that is situation so poorly? I have already tried to get the missus to crawl under there but that didn't get far!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
MarkEHansen

Electric dump valves? https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/E85-8.html

Ooof, they're more expensive than I remember...
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Thanks for the tip... will look into those electric valves. The tank dump valve is the smaller size (not 3"); I think that would be 1 1/2"? Anyway, there is a long PVC run to the junction with the black tank/rear gray tank and I just got to thinking it might be easier to cut in a new dump valve in that area which is more easily accessed. Wouldn't need to be electric. I would love to change out the rear gray and black dump valves but the whole thing was glued as a piece and there just isn't enough give to get new valves in there easily with out tank removal. The black tank valve leaks a little bit so I have one of those end-of-outlet valves installed to keep any leaks away.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You've got a couple of options.

First, you can install a "terminal valve" (twist-on type) from Valterra. Then you can leave the "hard to reach" tank valve open and just dump from the terminal valve. The only "drawback" to doing that (I do it all the time) is winter camping. With the terminal valve, there's water in the exposed pipe, so that would possibly freeze. With spring, summer and fall camping, it's usually not a problem. Here's a link to one place to get the terminal valve.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...y&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The second option is to use the awning rod to "hook the end of the valve handle" and pull it open/push it closed with the awning rod. It can get "tedious" to keep the rod in place on the handle, so for me, using the terminal valve is easier and makes for much fewer "angry verbals"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Already have one of those "terminal valves" that twist on. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try and leave the galley tank valve open and use the terminal valve to dump. I am a bit gun shy about leaving the galley tank valve open as we left it open last year (with the terminal valve open as well) and ended up fighting little gnats for a month or so. After repeat gnat bombings I got rid of them. I guess if the terminal valve is shut, they won't be flying up the sewer drain to make my acquaintance again.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
rhagfo

How about a cable operated dump valve, that is how our rear grey tank is drained.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Canonman

Our galey dump valve is in the same "convenient" place as yours. When the slide is in i.e. at the dump station, no problem. When the slide is out, I use one of these, Barker Vent Stick https://www.amazon.com/Barker-29070-.../dp/B0027XEGOO. I need it for the living room vent and it works great as a hook to pull the valve on the galey tank. Turn it around to push the valve back in with the handle portion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1082.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	22733  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water