Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
daveinaz

Replacing flooring in Montana 5er

I know we're getting ahead of ourselves, but we definitely have "replace the carpet" on our to-do list. I'm reading a lot of good stuff about the Aurora vinyl planking and we are thinking of going with that.

Have any of you tackled this project? I'm pretty sure that our Montana with its through the frame slide-outs has sliders, not rollers.

Did you have to jack the slide up to get the vinyl flooring installed, or could you partially open the slide-out and get the carpet out and the vinyl flooring onto the main floor that way? I was also debating whether to replace the carpet in the slide-out with carpet again or if there were any significant issues in putting the vinyl planking in the slide-out too.

Thank you.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Can't find anything on recommend temp ranges for the Aurora plank flooring you mention. Since the RV will get cold and hot when not used, the floor tends to separate on vinyl plank flooring. I installed Allure flooring from Home Depot and have had a bit of this occur. That is, if the Aurora product is floating floor type planking as is the Allure. Doing it again, I would use sheet vinyl. My ol' 2002 needed the carpet gone.

Taking the carpet out of the slide is kind of sketchy. The slide will rub the floor you put on in many cases. I have minimized this by putting 6"x3' pieces of 1/4" plywood (four in all) under the places that showed signs of scratching when pulling the slide in. Many other report this so the thicker the flooring material, the more likely the scratching. As far as new flooring IN the slide, go out and look at your slide carefully by pulling up the carpet a bit where it slides into the trailer when retracted.

You have a big ugly black piece of rubber stuff running end to end. The only way to put flooring over that to hide it would be if were LOOSE like the carpet. Maybe someone knows how to get around this issue but I sure don't.

When you pull the carpet, you will likely have sheet linoleum below fasted with about 7 million staples and pulling staples will be the bulk of you job. Good luck! Use the search function for more experiences than what I had.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, montana