Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
KCSA75

How is your "Smart Tile" backsplash holding up

DW is wanting to put up a tile backsplash behind and to the side the stove in our Cougar. The peel & stick vinyl or "Smart Tiles" seem to be a good choice. I've read lots of posts from folks who did this. Everyone seems pleased with the results and ease of installation.

My question is how is the backsplash holding up after a few years? Specifically, I'm curious about two things:
1. The manufacturer recommends not using Smart Tile within 15 inches of the stove. If this is a problem, it's obviously a deal breaker. To those of you who have violated that "rule" has it been a problem.
2. We don't normally get the extreme heat in the summer or prolonged sub-zero temps in the winter, but in Kansas it does get plenty hot in the summer and plenty cold in the winter. Has anyone had any issues with the peel and stick stuff falling off the wall.

Your thoughts?

TIA.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
vampress_me

I used the SmartTiles on the backsplash behind the stove and behind the bathroom sink in our camper in either the summer of 2014 or 2015, can’t remember which. They have held up very well since then and still look like they did when I installed them. When I’ve used the stove, I’ve put my hand on them to check how warm they get and it’s never seemed overly hot, even using the back burners. They have been in the cold here in winter (down to -30’s in winter storage) and in summer getting up to close to 100 (if not over a little) when it is closed up when not used, so I give the SmartTile brand a thumbs up.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
gregrc75

I installed them in the same location you want to, and in a similar climate as yours here in Mass...I put them up about 2013 perhaps and were holding perfectly when I traded my camper in back in Sept 2017.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
busterbrown

4th season ready to start. They look like they were on day 1. I tiled around the stove top (definitely less than 15 inches from the burners) and around the sink in the bathroom.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
ajk170

I installed ours in 2016 but not around the stove. But we lived in southeast Ga and since moved to El Paso and we’ve had extreme heat and humidity and they’ve stood up perfectly. I want to do more in ours but it’s a matter of where to do it!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote