Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
cajun69

Slide out cable broke

Assistance please. I have a 2017 outback 334rl. One of upperThe main slide out cables broke and now the slide is cocked with the slide partially extended. Taking to repair shop not an option. How can I replace the cable? Slide went out no issue but when trying to go back in cable broke. No obstruction noted. I was not present when issue happened. Any assistance greatly appreciated
cajun69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
craign

cajun69,

Our trailer suffered a cable break in 2015 while far from home. In this instance we were able to operate the slide while I pushed the slide inward. Fortunately I was able to repair the break without replacing the cable as the break was close to the cable\chain connector.

If you have an Accuslide cable system, the service manual provides instructions on cable replacement. See page 9, Cable Replacement. Cable Replacement parts and kits are available online, though I can't remember where I ordered mine. For more info a Google search should turn up lots of videos on the subject.

The biggest flaw I have seen with my slide is the cables stretching or somehow falling out of adjustment and having them tangle while moving in opposite directions. Every Spring I adjust things and then watch for cable interference every time we operate the slide. It seems a little obsessive, but we have had no other failures.

Best wishes to you with your project as a cable failure and repairs was a little unnerving to me. Your skill set may be lots better and you will repair the slide easily.

Regards,
Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 AM   #3
AbbyinTN

Video on youtube:

AbbyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
OHIOJERRY

I have learned to not like cable slides. My 2016 Outback 326RL has 3 slides, 2 of them cable operated. On pickup of my new Outback, the dealership said they needed to adjust the cables of the large main slide. After waiting several hours I took my new camper home, 100 miles from the dealership. Once home I went to open the slide and it would not move. The next morning I made 100 miles back to the dealership and waited for them to open. After checking out the cables they told me the cables were installed backwards by the factory and they would have to redo them. 2 days later I got the camper back.
6 months later after my last trip of the season, the top outside cable snapped as I opened it in my driveway. The dealership was busy with winterizing at this time of year so we agreed to repair it in the spring when I removed it from storage. They put a new cable on and said they had no idea why the cable failed.
This past season while on a trip to Maine, the same cable snapped again. On return they fixed it again still not knowing what the root cause is.
While waiting for repairs I was talking with a salesman and he said he would have talked me out of the Outback because of the cable slides. He thought cable slides sucked. Maybe he's right because when I walk around the campgrounds mostly all of the cable slides I see are on Keystones.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
cajun69

Thank you for your replies. Was able to change. After so YouTube and research. Everything seems to work fine. Will have spares from now on.
cajun69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide, slide out