Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Berg570FE

My Wife is considering this for a Raptor 426?

I am considering this, but would like to hear your thoughts on the structural limitations of the rig.

2017 Ford F350 Platinum Crewcab SRW
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
notanlines

I'm sure it would work great. Bear in mind the smell of the horses will NEVER go away. Upon resale you would need to find a horse lover who wanted your trailer. Smoking would be nothing in comparison to horses in your RV.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm sure it would work great. Bear in mind the smell of the horses will NEVER go away. Upon resale you would need to find a horse lover who wanted your trailer. Smoking would be nothing in comparison to horses in your RV.

^^^^What he said! In my part of the country I can imagine that this might be a super popular item. That said, I can see how you could turn a 100k plus toy hauler into a 15k horse trailer.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Pull Toy

Works for me!

Beats the h*ll out of my '82 Tracer Goose Neck Trailer, but that was an 8 horse gooseneck with a live in "cubby". The horses lived better than I did, with a combo shi**er / shower (you could do both at the same time ((sorry)), and you slept on a pallat on the overhang section, but it payed the bills.

As already mentioned, keep the stable and the living quarters separate with a good quality door seal.

As far as resale value..., don't worry about it, you will have the "Complete Kit" for a back country boon-docker with horses, or the casual show family, who just needs to get them there, and still have a place to live! Besides... Horse People like HORSE SMELLS! LOL!!! You may actually see a major increase in resale $$$, due to the customization, for the family with horses, on a budget!

Good Luck!!!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Tunnel_Vision

Not to mention the urine rotting the floor out... or starts cribbing the walls...
2004 DCB W/TWIN MERCURY RACING 300X'S
Tunnel_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have the Raptor, it might be an "only way out"... If you have not yet bought the toy hauler, there are some pretty luxurious horse trailers available: http://www.bisontrailer.com/?utm_sou...edium=referral

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I have a customer looking at the same setup for a Fuzion. It’s a pretty nice deal. Has different matting for the floor as well. I’d just make sure you take the floor mats out often and clean the back out well. The structure of this is designed to keep the horses off the walls of the RV, which structural integrity was my biggest concern since an RV is not designed to have a 1,000 lb horse leaning against the wall, but it appears they have taken care of that. It’s an expensive kit, but appears to be well designed/made.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
vampress_me

Personally, there is no way I would ever consider doing something like this with our horses. I love them too much. I would buy a living quarters horse trailer first.

When you compare the build quality of a camper to a horse trailer, there is no comparison, especially when it comes to putting a 1000-1200lb unpredictable animal in there. And even the most bomb-proof, laid back horse still has its unpredictable moments. A horse trailer is either steel or (most of them nowadays) aluminum skinned, with a steel main frame and an aluminum or 2x solid wood floor. A camper is thin fiberglass sided, with the minimum floor type for people and inanimate objects to sit on, not made for a living animal to be stomping, kicking, or pawing at the floor. And horses have pawed through (ripped up) rubber floor mats. What happens if that horse rears while in there and gets a foot or its body over the divider and a foot through a glass window? No bars on the windows in a camper like in a horse trailer. And then there's the pee. I don't mind the smell of horse pee for a little while - in the appropriate place, like a barn. Not my camper. And there would be no way to wash that out when it gets into the cracks and crevices of a camper, unlike a horse trailer that is designed to be washed out.

If you really want to travel with a horse, do it safely (or as safely as possible with a horse) and do it in a living quarters horse trailer. Exiss makes some that aren't horribly expensive, or if that's not enough, there's Sundowner, Bison, Lakota, etc.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Personally, there is no way I would ever consider doing something like this with our horses. I love them too much. I would buy a living quarters horse trailer first.

When you compare the build quality of a camper to a horse trailer, there is no comparison, especially when it comes to putting a 1000-1200lb unpredictable animal in there. And even the most bomb-proof, laid back horse still has its unpredictable moments. A horse trailer is either steel or (most of them nowadays) aluminum skinned, with a steel main frame and an aluminum or 2x solid wood floor. A camper is thin fiberglass sided, with the minimum floor type for people and inanimate objects to sit on, not made for a living animal to be stomping, kicking, or pawing at the floor. And horses have pawed through (ripped up) rubber floor mats. What happens if that horse rears while in there and gets a foot or its body over the divider and a foot through a glass window? No bars on the windows in a camper like in a horse trailer. And then there's the pee. I don't mind the smell of horse pee for a little while - in the appropriate place, like a barn. Not my camper. And there would be no way to wash that out when it gets into the cracks and crevices of a camper, unlike a horse trailer that is designed to be washed out.

If you really want to travel with a horse, do it safely (or as safely as possible with a horse) and do it in a living quarters horse trailer. Exiss makes some that aren't horribly expensive, or if that's not enough, there's Sundowner, Bison, Lakota, etc.

^^^^My thoughts exactly. If the purpose is for the horse....get something that's made for it.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Berg570FE

I really appreciate the responses.

We ride dirt bikes and ADV bikes, that is primarily what the rig will be used for. My wife wants an LQ Horse trailer, but I can't see having $100K or more of trailers in our driveway. Owning both does not seem practical.

The LQ portion of the nicest horse rigs still has a gooseneck bed you must crawl up into. The living area is just too small.

When she came up with this, I thought it may kill two birds with one stone.

I believe the stall kit has "pans" that both reinforce the floor as well as contain horse waste?

I also think one would need to run the AC in there as they would likely get hot in there ?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Here's my thinking;

There's folks that want to have a nice toy hauler to haul toys....and spend a lot to do so. There's lots of folks that want to haul horses...and they do..a lot in our neck of the woods. They ALL use the horse haulers with the living quarters simply because the unit, tainted and all, will be wanted by HORSE people. Taking the toy hauler, wanted by those that love the outdoors and their toys, and filling it with horse stuff for months, then trying to sell it will, well, really limit the number of folks interested in your trailer. I've raised horses....in the proper environment; a cramped people trailer sitting for days on end with horse "stuff" isn't my idea of "nice". JMO
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg570FE View Post
I believe the stall kit has "pans" that both reinforce the floor as well as contain horse waste?
The kit has 16 gauge aluminum to lay down below the rubber mats. That's about 1/16 of an inch thick aluminum plate to "reinforce" the floor. And nothing to contain the waste. That will splash and seep onto/ into everything.

At $8700 for the kit, have you considered a Brenderup horse trailer that you could pull with a lighter weight vehicle? And the 2 of you just have to travel in separate vehicles to bring both the horses and camper? Might not be ideal, but not quite as expensive as also buying a living quarters horse trailer, and better than possibly ruining an expensive camper. I've never driven with a Brenderup, just have been told they are a fairly nice, lightweight bumper pull horse trailer that I've not seen people have problems with.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #13
Tinner12002

Well I have to admit that it looks feasible, but not sure about the setup being able to completely contain wastes. Not sure what the weight of the setup is plus the weight of horses but I can see where you might overload the garage area of a lot of toy haulers being they usually have a #3000 or so weight limit plus the weight of the horses footprint on the ramp door. Not even considering the horse smell as others have mentioned and if selling the unit down the road, the smaller purchasing audience. I probably wouldn't do it but then I don't own horses.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:11 AM   #14
jsmith948

Why not get a LQ horse trailer that is designed to safely haul horses and then, when you want to haul the ATVs, just fold the gates out of the way, hose out the trailer and load the toys? I'll bet the ATVs won't care.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
Berg570FE

Ok, what if:

We only haul two horse at 1000 lbs each, and the kit weighs say, 500 lbs. This would keep us well under the 3100 lb capacity of the cargo area.

Then, what if I installed a urethane coating back there, and installed larger, self containing mats. This would waterproof the area and allow it to be rinsed out. I think I can resolve these issues.

I guess my largest concern is the structural integrity of the trailer itself? As a previous poster mentioned, even the most laid back horse can throw fits. If they get to "moving" around back there, Im wondering how strong the frame that this kit is bolted to is?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not a horse owner, so don't consider my opinon that of an "expert" but rather as someone who has been reading this thread without any experience in what you're trying to do.

In the previous post you indicated that the garage weight limit is 3100 pounds, the horses (2) 1000 pounds each, the adaption kit 500 pounds, giving a total of 2500 pounds, which leaves 600 pounds for "other stuff". The "urethane coating" (I'd guess you're thinking of something like spray on bedliner). The typical spray in bedliner weighs around 150 pounds for a pickup bed. That's around 75 sqft of surface and about 2 pounds per sqft. So, to spray a 8x12 garage to a height of 4' on all sides would be around 256 sqft. At 2 lb per sqft, that would be 256x2= 512 pounds. That would leave about 88 pounds of your "left over garage limit" and so far, no saddles, bridles, blankets, grooming equipment, hay or other necessary equipment has been included.

Given that, you're probably looking at much more than 3100 pounds of cargo for two horses and the adapter plus the support equipment needed.

Now, as for the structural integrity of any toy hauler, they are all built with minimal aluminum tubing bonded to 1/8" luan and covered by 1/16" fiberglass composite. The only thing between those two thin luan sheets is spray foam sheeting. Trust me when I say that any sizeable man can kick a hole in that wall with one swift foot. A horse weighing 1000 pounds rocking or bucking in a aluminum stall will definitely apply much more pressure to the wall/roof/floor integrity than a man's foot. Most toyhaulers are designed to carry "stationary, well secured loads" that sit on the floor and do not place any weight or stress on the walls.

While a horse, under "ideal conditions" would stand in the stall, calm and unmoving, it's probably safe to assume that any bump in the road, any action that causes the horse to become agitated or any input (sound or sight) would likely cause even the calmest of horses to move around within the stall, possibly kick or buck, placing movement stress on the attachment points of the device, pulling and pushing on the thin aluminum wall studs that are probably not designed or constructed to withstand such movement.

I guess what all the above comes down to is that you're probably going to need to carry more than the anticipated 2500 pounds, likely well over the 600 pounds that's left over, so you'll likely be overloaded. Accepting that, stressing the walls and overall structure at the extreme rear of a toyhauler not designed to accommodate wall movement caused by horses moving within the structure would, at best be ill-advised and at worst, likely cause broken welds within the aluminum framework and other damage that would be very expensive to repair, and that's under ideal conditions. If the horses are leaning against the walls of the stable kit, being swayed and are off balance, if they become agitated or start kicking/bucking, will the aluminum structure of the trailer withstand the stresses?

Finally, have you corresponded with Keystone Customer Service about the proposed project? If so, what has their engineering section offered as the factory's suggestion on whether it would be appropriate?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
rhagfo

Based on the video I would say it could sworn, I think I would lay down some 6 mil plastic in addition to the floor pans to contain urine, chips and sawdust just don’t always work.
Seems like a workable solution not sure which smells worse, a barn of garage?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
Tinner12002

Besides the overall safety factor, I'm sure Keystone will tell you their haulers aren't designed for live weight being in the garage. Which I think I'd have to agree with.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
MerlinB

It seems to me that your mind is already made up. I don't believe anything anyone has said here is going to change your mind so, why bother asking?
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Before I made this big of a jump, I'd be talking to people who have already done it. Ask the manufacturer for a reference sheet of current owners and call them. Especially ask if they'd do it again.

I hate being first and like to learn from others experiences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor