Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
bailey1575

Question buying carbon 33 have hitch and weight question

I recently had replaced my hitch with a class 4 it says 10,000 gross trailer weight 1000 lb tongue and 12,000 weight distribution and 1,200 weight distribution tongue weight and the carbon 33 specs say the trailer shipping/dry is 8885 hitch is 1315 and my weight distribution is 10,000 with out bars and 12,000 with bars. we go to pick up the carbon 33 soon I should be safe or should I be concerned thanks for feed back.
bailey1575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 AM   #2
xcntrk

I think you may have answered your own question. With a 13k GVWR, that trailer calls for a Class-5 hitch and isn't really intended to be hauled by a half-ton pickup.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey1575 View Post
I recently had replaced my hitch with a class 4 it says 10,000 gross trailer weight 1000 lb tongue and 12,000 weight distribution and 1,200 weight distribution tongue weight and the carbon 33 specs say the trailer shipping/dry is 8885 hitch is 1315 and my weight distribution is 10,000 with out bars and 12,000 with bars. we go to pick up the carbon 33 soon I should be safe or should I be concerned thanks for feed back.
I have a very similar trailer, Keystone Fuzion Impact 303. The weight of the trailer is significant and when loaded to near capacity (mine crossed the scales at 12,400 lbs), you are in the F350 truck range
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Hitch tongue rating is 1,200 lbs, dry tongue weight on the trailer is advertised at 1,315.....that pretty much says everything that needs to be said and you haven't added anything to the TH yet.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Hitch tongue rating is 1,200 lbs, dry tongue weight on the trailer is advertised at 1,315.....that pretty much says everything that needs to be said and you haven't added anything to the TH yet.
The problem with Toy Haulers, based on my experience, when loaded in the rear (garage area), the tongue weight is less than when they are empty. This produces its own set of issues.....trailer sway because of not having enough tongue weight. Of course the common sense things to do is to:
1. Redistribute the weight at the rear to a more forward location.
2. Add more weight up front to increase tongue weight.

The first solution has it's own set of problems. In my case, two motorcycles aren't going to be relocated towards the front of the trailer ( wife won't let me put them in the bedroom....even if they would fit). Roll-around toolbox ain't going anywhere else either. So, with garage items, most of the time there are no choices on where they get to ride.

Second number (add more weight to the front) is achievable in different ways. In my case, I now travel with the fresh water tank full...100+ gallons of water. I also replaced my one 12V battery with two 6V Trojans....then added a 35lb barbell weight under my baggage slide, and secured it so there is no movement/bouncing around. I still needed more weight up front, as I was still having some swaying issues. The problem I had then, is that my 3/4T truck was right at the GVWR, so I went with a 1Ton truck. I then added another 120 lbs of weight up front and finally got to about 11.5 % tongue weight. That increase, plus buying the Dually (more stability), I now have a Toy Hauler I can load up the way I need to, tow safely, and..be well under ALL of the weight ratings of the truck and the trailer.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
xcntrk

^shoot, now you're probably over the trailers GVWR. You just can't win with these things.

I have that issue with my 5'er. Load up my RZR and kids 4-wheeler in the toy hauler garage, fill the water tank (adds another 1k lbs full!), partially fill my fuel tanks, and bam I'm over the trailer GVWR and I haven't even left the house.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #7
bsmith0404

I know that happens with THs, but the OP cannot count on or try to calculate how much weight he is going to remove from the tongue by loading up the garage. Starting out over the rated hitch capacity is not a good place to start.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 07-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I know that happens with THs, but the OP cannot count on or try to calculate how much weight he is going to remove from the tongue by loading up the garage. Starting out over the rated hitch capacity is not a good place to start.
Additionally, the OP has to get the toyhauler home (unless he's going to take everything with him to pick it up) so without the garage being full, he's going to go for his "first tow" being overweight. He realistically can't get it home with that hitch. Don't forget that the published data on Keystone's website doesn't include battery or propane, both that are on the tongue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
whitescrew77

He needs a bigger truck. Sucks, but that is the fact. I had gas f-150, gas f-250, before I finally got the picture and went with a diesel f-250. Camping can be expensive if you want to learn the hard way.
whitescrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitescrew77 View Post
He needs a bigger truck. Sucks, but that is the fact. I had gas f-150, gas f-250, before I finally got the picture and went with a diesel f-250. Camping can be expensive if you want to learn the hard way.
Doh you didn't get the picture too well. WP I bet he's over TV GVWR, quick slap him up with citations.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
^shoot, now you're probably over the trailers GVWR. You just can't win with these things.

I have that issue with my 5'er. Load up my RZR and kids 4-wheeler in the toy hauler garage, fill the water tank (adds another 1k lbs full!), partially fill my fuel tanks, and bam I'm over the trailer GVWR and I haven't even left the house.
Nah, CAT scales show the trailer at 12,400 the way I travel and the trailer is 13K GVWR. But I agree, it's a balancing act for sure.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
bailey1575

I have a 3/4 ton Silverado crew cab short bed with duramax I have been hauling 2 quads on an atv deck on truck and a 5900lb dry trailer 76550 gvw. Now that being said I had class 4 I went and purchased the class 5 extra duty curt hitch with new weight distribution. the new hitch and weight distribution are plenty enough to cover weight of trailer also found out truck is recommended max at 12000...I am a by the numbers guy when I load up to make trips so unless I figure out how to convince wife into 1 one ton I think I should be fine. I appreciate feed back I have been a GM mechanic for several years and I see plenty of scarey stuff whyen it comes to what people are pulling with. Again thanks for feed back ,,,great group to be in
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Doh you didn't get the picture too well. WP I bet he's over TV GVWR, quick slap him up with citations.
You know, some of these comments get old. Doh?? What is that? Some millennial secret speak? You know, grownups talk grownup talk. Doh ain't there. Whitescrew posted real life experiences and suggestions; you, the normal (ignore).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I have a 3/4 ton Silverado crew cab short bed with duramax I have been hauling 2 quads on an atv deck on truck and a 5900lb dry trailer 76550 gvw. Now that being said I had class 4 I went and purchased the class 5 extra duty curt hitch with new weight distribution. the new hitch and weight distribution are plenty enough to cover weight of trailer also found out truck is recommended max at 12000...I am a by the numbers guy when I load up to make trips so unless I figure out how to convince wife into 1 one ton I think I should be fine. I appreciate feed back I have been a GM mechanic for several years and I see plenty of scarey stuff whyen it comes to what people are pulling with. Again thanks for feed back ,,,great group to be in

I know you're trying but the numbers you're throwing out (if I understand) say you are WAY overweight, GM mechanic or not. Not trying to be ugly, I understand trying to "fit" what you've bought into "what you have" sometimes things don't work out. Trying to "convince" the wife that a 1 ton is the way to go isn't optional; that's exactly what I told my wife, gave her the numbers and told her "YOUR name will be on whatever happens due to your decision"....we don't have that conversation anymore, and we've been married 50 years.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
bailey1575

Ok so I guess the words I must say are thanks for the FEED BACK time to move on.......................
Old 07-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #16
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You know, some of these comments get old. Doh?? What is that? Some millennial secret speak? You know, grownups talk grownup talk. Doh ain't there. Whitescrew posted real life experiences and suggestions; you, the normal (ignore).

I am FARRRR from a millennial, but even I get the reference. Maybe you're dating yourself sourdough

Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #17
xcntrk

Quote:
Ok so I guess the words I must say are thanks for the FEED BACK time to move on.......................
Sounds like you're in a good position to give it shot and run what you brung (now sourdough has me speaking in metaphors ). Might as well, you already have the trailer and existing truck. But I would seriously start warming the wife up to the 1-ton idea. A lot of us here have experience and feedback to share, but Xrated's comments are the ones (IMHO) you should listen to most. He has this exact size trailer and went round and round with 3/4 ton trucks and trying to control sway. Maybe look up his posts on the subject for input to your situation.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #18
notanlines

Bailey, first, welcome to the forum. You'll get all kinds of info here; not all of it will put a smile on your face. There is a large number of experienced haulers on this site who post most every day. As a group they are very, very opinionated, very knowledgeable, and seldom agree. We would be happy if you would hang around long enough to learn a little and to add your tech info to the group.
Humor me for a short period of time. Kindly add up item by item the weights of your ATV's, ramps, passengers, gear, fuel, etc. and get back to us.
Thanks, and again, welcome to the forum from Tennessee.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #19
bsmith0404

I think what the OP is saying is that he used to put ATVs on the bed of the truck with a different trailer (no need for that with a TH). He had a class IV, but has now purchased a class V to give him the needed hitch capacity for the Carbon. The tow capacity of 12k is good and his 3/4 duramax is definitely capable of towing the trailer. The only information we don't have at this point is actual weight vs payload with the Carbon. I suspect that he is over payload numbers as well, but real numbers from the OP are the only way to verify.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 07-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #20
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Wow, just wow. xcntrk hit the nail on the head, show has been on for almost 30 years. Whitescrew says he got the "picture" and now has a F250 diesel pulling a Fuzion Impact 351, an RV with a GVWR of 16,000 LB's and advertised PIN of 3040 LB's. We all know for a trailer that size you are pushing your luck with any SRW and especially an F250 if not properly equipped. I don't know about you but he is running quite possibly an unsafe equipment combo and is on here posting "real life experiences" that I choose to (ignore). You know my stance on weights but this is clearly even beyond anything i would advocate and why I choose not to "ignore".
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch