Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
TallEddie

Keystone Drilled a hole in my water tank.

I have a 2014 Keystone Laredo 303TG, and for some reason this issue didn't appear until now. We take about 4-6 trips every year, and I usually keep some water in the onboard fresh water tank. Before our most recent trip (just got back today) I added water to the fresh water tank. That was on a Wed, then on Sun morning I noticed water dripping under the RV. I removed some of the screws holding the under belly to investigate, and when I removed one that was about 18 inches in from the outside edge, a steady stream of water starts coming out. Turns out, the screw holding the under belly was drilled into the water tank.

Any ideas of how to repair the tank? I could take it to the dealer, but I an good at fixing stuff and would rather not have it sit there for a few months.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Double b

I have the same trailer same year. I don't have A problem but can you post a picture of where this screw/hole is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Fresh water tanks are made of a material similar to milk cartons. That makes repairs a bit tricky at best IMO. I would contact the dealer, E mail some pictures and let them order a new tank. Then when it comes in your not without.

In the meantime, if the hole isn't right above a brace, maybe ask the parts department for a tank sensor. Takes a 1/4" hole and then you insert the sensor and tighten the nut to expand the rubber portion. It may hold forever, but I would still figure on replacing the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
scottz

Same thing happened to my last 5th wheel (FR). They supported the tank with metal straps which allowed the tank to bulge when full. It bulged right into a screw. They sent me a new tank. I don't think tanks are that expensive; I would replace it. You could take this opportunity to beef up the tank supports which usually are not that great. I used angle iron braces with a piece of plywood between them to provide a "floor" for the tank to sit on.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
TallEddie

Double_b: I attached two pics of where the screw is. It is 12.5" behind the drain line for the tank.

Chuckster57: Unfortunately, the screw did hit the brace, so the hole is above the brace. I will contact the dealer and see what they say.

scottz: I do plan on beefing up the supports on all my tanks, as I have read on here the supports are usually flimsy. I'll also check all around the tank to make sure it will not bulge and hit another screw.

Thanks for the feedback.

The first pic is of the screw outside the underbelly, I stuck and extendable magnet to it so it is easier to see in the pic. The second pic is inside the underbelly, to show where the screw went into the tank.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
TallEddie

Old 07-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks like the factory caught the corner so putting a sensor in the hole isn't going to work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, led, tank, water