Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #21
Ddubya

Another day another answer.
I received an email from the "Executive Team" informing me that service had been set up with "XYZ" company. Turns out "XYZ" has already turned down the repair twice.
Called Samsung "Customer Care" and after being placed on hold three times for the nice lady to contact lord knows who she informed me a member of the "Executive Team" would be contacting me in 3 to 5 business days to let me know if they would either refund the purchase price or replace the unit.
HANG TIGHT!

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

All I can say is WOW!! I'm sorry your having this much trouble, I just hope your frustration is aimed at Samsung not keystone. Please keep us in the loop.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #23
CaptnJohn

Local couple bought their 1st RV, a 5er by FR. Samsung stopped working on 1st trip. Dealer removed the fridge doors and had it in their shop for the repair guy. They had to remove it through the rear window~ would not fit through the door. Now comes the 3rd short trip and not working again. Back out into the shop through the rear window for the tech. Their dealer said 'never again' and now it is not cooling as well as it should. They can get their option price for it. So do they get a new Samsung or a different make? I'd try for a different make at least and maybe an RV fridge at that.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #24
Ddubya

ZCaptnJohn
You stated in that above post that they could get their "option" price. Do you know how much that is?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #25
kfxgreenie

I know of a Frigidaire Side X Side that was in a Jayco that had a cracked liner at first and then the replacement unit was not cooling once de-winterized. Thankfully for the customer the unit was a Counter Depth unit and was able to come out the RV door once the doors and hinges were removed from the refrigerator. The new Kitchen Aid went in the same way. The Kitchen Aid carries a 5 Year Sealed System Parts and Labor Warranty and a 10 Year Sealed System Parts. Biggest thing as discussed on this forum is that the extremes these units can sometimes operate in, are extremely hard on them. It is my personal belief that the Variable Speed Compressors that use inverter's are even at a greater risk for failure in these environments. That is why I recommended the Kitchen Aid to the Jayco owner.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #26
Ddubya

Well today I decided to contact Samsung again since the "Executive Team" had not contacted me in almost 72 business hours. Surprise! The phone bank person said that they had no record that the "Executive Team" had been contacted and that she would have to schedule a repair company to service the refrigerator. I explained that they had already tried to schedule several service companies but they refused to work on the unit. She said that was all she could do.
I hung up and tried to find a person in the USA to speak to. There is no one. You can ask for a US rep but they say they cannot transfer a call and they have no US number.
I called a number at Samsung in N.J. but had the same evasive action and was transferred to the Samsung service number which I had received zero help from.
I have never experienced a company that was so difficult to deal with.
While still trying to find an Email address or another phone number my phone rang and it was the "Executive Team" calling from the familiar Samsung 800 number. The same "Executive Team" that I had just been told had not been contacted by the phone bank.
The man ask for me to fax the bill of sale for the refrigerator and when I tried to explain that I had no specific bill of sale that it was purchased in an RV he simply did not understand . He did not know what a RV or Motor Home was or could not understand anything that I tried to tell him about how I obtained the refrigerator.
Finally I told him I would send the purchase docs for the RV along with the as built sheet showing the model and serial number of the refrigerator.
Now it will be interesting what happens next????? Stay tuned.
I can assure you of one thing. I will never purchase anything again that requires me to go to Samsung for warranty service.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #27
Ddubya

NEWS!
I have been able to contact a Samsung rep on Facebook Messenger that is in the US and knows what a RV is. He understands the problem and is contacting a management team to come up with a solution that should help all RV'ers that find themselves in this situation. He will contact me when they come up with a plan. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

And the saga continues, my hats off to you for having the patience to deal with this for as long as you have. Keep us in the loop

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
Ddubya

Around and around!
Received a call a couple of days ago from a Samsung person and they wanted my bill of sale. I sent the info that I received with the RV which showed the model and serial # of the Samsung. Received a text message from Samsung telling me that XYZ company would service the refrigerator. Called XYZ. They said no, not if it is in a RV.

In a previous post I stated that I had contacted Samsung via Facebook Messenger.
Below is their response. Luckily I was able to copy it before they erased it.

Samsung SupportSamsung Support
https://facebook.com/samsungsupport/
Samsung SupportTue 4:05pm
Are you in the USA?
Hi, David, how can we assist you? ^Rosi
Tue 5:55pm
Are you in the USA?
Yes, david, we are in the USA. ^Lou
Is there someone I can talk to by phone about a refrigerator that I have been trying to get serviced for three weeks?
For voice support, you would need to call 800-726-7864. ^Lou
That is not a USA number. I have talked to them at least 15 times
This is the only number for support of US devices. We will be happy to assist here. Can you provide a ticket number? ^Lou
My ticket number has been canceled for the fourth time. \From my limited knowledge of US consumer law I believe that I am entitled to speak to a person in the US should I ask .
We will be happy to look in to this. Please provide the most recent ticket number. ^lou
Understand that this refrigerator was purchased with a new Recreational Vehicle (RV) and was not purchase from a retail company. I have been refused service from all available service agents in my area because the refrigerator is installed in the RV. No one at your 800 number has any idea what I am trying to tell them about a RV.
Is the refrigerator still in the RV? ^Lou
Yes
Ok, bear with me. we do not get a ton of RV appliance calls. ^Lou
Thanks, the RV manufacturers have started using a lot of residential refrigerators so I would think that this will become a big issue
Understood. The way I understand this to work, we need to set it up so the RV is serviced through an RV dealer, or a certified service center that works with RV's. I could be wrong on that, though. I have some of the management team looking at how this will work, but it might take a day or so to get it all prepared for you. ^Lou
Thanks, I have the refrigerator out of the inset that it was in and could be easily serviced but the local service companies still would not work on it. I look forward to what your management team comes up with. This has been most frustrating but if Samsung can put a program in place to solve this issue it will benefit a lot of my fellow RV'ers
No problem. We will get back to you as soon as we know something. By the way, when was the RV purchased? that will allow us to adjust you warranty, as that would be the sell date for the refrigerator. ^Lou
Nov 30, 2016
Tue 9:13pm
Thanks, David. We'll get with you as soon as we have answers. ^Lou
11:33am
I have been assigned a repair ticket on this 4143873517. The repair company has already declined to service my refrigerator two times and has again refused because it is in a RV. Why can't someone at Samsung get their act together and realize that assigning the same companies that have already refused to do the service will not work.
Hello
3:54pm
Hello, David. My name is Justin. I'm part of our upper management team with social media. I have reviewed your case, seeing as the unit came with the purchase of your RV the appliance would have to be returned to the RV Dealership for service to take place. ^Justin
If I take it to the RV dealer they cannot service the refrigerator??? That still does not solve the problem of your service agents not working on the refrigerator if it is in the RV???
I apologize, David. Due to them being a third party contractor they do have the right to refuse service. More than likely the reason why they did not agree to the repair, is there is very little room to perform needed services, and if anything was to get damaged in the process they would be held liable. ^Justin
I understand that but there are a lot of RV/Samsung owners that are going to be just as upset as I am to find out that there is no way to get to get their unit repaired. The refrigerator was purchased from a dealer but the RV manufacturer purchased the refrigerator from Samsung as an OEM.
I should have said that the RV was purchased from a dealer.
Keystone Manufacturing is the OEM that is purchasing refrigerators from you.
I apologize for any inconvenience. ^Justin
So that is all you (Samsung) have to say???
Type a message...

Not another response and the thread was deleted.

I spoke to Keystone today and they are looking into the issue and said they would call me back.
More to come.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Samsung Refrigerator

I don't like to advocate legal action, in this case it may be warranted. Take a deep breath and start documenting the time line including dates/time and person contacted. Don't leave anything or anybody out.

Granted legal action will probably delay resolution of this specific problem, but can you afford a different brand if it fits in the coach? If so maybe get it and include cost of replacement in action.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
kfxgreenie

Nothing is going to change. Most Appliance service centers warranty work is at low rates, and are definitely not going to work in a confined space where it will take even longer than normal if it can even be repaired in the RV for the same rate, and they are not going to take the liability or time or manpower to get it out of the RV for chump change. Samsung probably almost gave the units to Keystone. My expectation would be for Keystone to get the unit out of the RV and Samsung to then fix it, which depending on the dealer could leave you high and dry for awhile. I realize it is not the easiest solution and not the one you want to deal with, but it is probably the best, take the refrigerator out, and then take it to the repair center that offered to repair it if you brought it there. Otherwise around & around you will go on the "merry" go round.

I also do not believe that you have a case with legal action until you were to leave the RV with a Keystone Service Center and the service center attempt a repair, or have a Samsung service center come in and attempt a repair. At this point from what I gather the unit has never been to the dealer or sat in the dealers lot. I know why it has not, but to have legal course of action that would have to happen I would believe.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #32
Ddubya

Legal action is not an option in my opinion. That only fattens the lawyers pocket book.

My reason for pursuing this is to have the RV manufacturers realize that they need to have a policy in place to take care of warranty repairs on residential refrigerators. It does not matter to me what that is as long as it is in writing. At this time there is mass confusion when it comes to warranty work on these appliances.
We as RV owners have not been told any of these issues could exist when we signed on the dotted line.
I am sure that I am not the only one that has or will be faced with this.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

I understand, but I think your asking for something that probably isn't going to happen.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #34
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I am sure that I am not the only one that has or will be faced with this.
For Sure you are not the only one. Keystone is not the only RV brand with the issue, and Samsung is not the only Appliance Manufacture that has mass confusion with Residential Appliances in RV's. I applaud you for your persistence.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #35
Ddubya

Well I just received a message from Samsung that they will purchase the fridge. The amount is enough to replace it.
I hope to receive a call from Keystone next week with some information concerning warranty procedures for residential fridges in their RV's.
If I hear anything I will post it.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

That's nice to hear. I'll be waiting to hear what Keystone has to say. Any idea what your going to replace it with?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #37
Ddubya

Not sure what I will replace it with. I have to look at how to secure it to the wall. The method used on the Samsung is really good. Not sure if I can adapt it to another brand.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #38
chuckster57
Site Team

I can tell you the LG fridges I see in the Tiffen motor homes don't seem to have issues.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #39
Ddubya

I have a LG at home and it has only had one issue in three years.
Problem is finding something that will go in the space without major mods. From what I am seeing I may have to go with another Samsung. If I purchase through Lowes and get their extended warranty at least I won't have to deal with The Samsung third party repair people and it will fit with no mods.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds good but does it make a difference to Lowes if it's in an RV?