Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
jimmyv13

Replacing an Axle on the Road

Upon inspection at a stop, I noticed, what I thought was, a bad wheel bearing. Since this is #3 for this trailer in a little over a year, I had already prepared for this repair. New hub, axle grease, etc. I begin pulling the hub off and now realize what the real problem was. Either the brake malfunctioned and applied the brake heating the hub enough to cook the grease or the bearing went and cooked the wires for the brake. Either way, the hub is shot, brake is shot and so is the spindle. I found a Dexter axle close to me and had the spring perches welded to the correct location. I'm heading out to replace the axle and was wondering if it's as simple as measure it a bunch of times making sure it's square then limp it home to have it professionally aligned. The trailer is stuck in a truck stop about 2.5 hours away in CANADA, which complicates the repair slightly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I tackle this repair.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
dcg9381

Spring perches won't affect he alignment, other than camber, and only camber if you've got axles that are reverse-bent from the factory... Round axles that are not pre-bent for camber, just center them up on the perches.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
jimmyv13

I noticed the new axle looks pre-bent, the original, however, does not. I have not really noticed it before this incident, but could the original axles have been pre-bent and now just have been straightened with use and time?

This is going to be fun in a truck stop...wife and toddler are SUPER excited! [/sarcasm]
Old 07-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
dcg9381

Hey, if you get back on the road, you're doing well.
The question you are asking - I don't have an answer to. I'd want to ask Lippert. Assuming the axle is rated the same as the replacement, it should be OK. You understand that the bend goes "up" - it's to counter the inherent bowing / camber of a loaded trailer.

I've got 7k axles and no apparent bend, whatever that is worth... Not sure how they decide to pre-bend.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
jimmyv13

It was a relatively easy repair, once I had the necessary parts. 3 hours total with a breakfast break and a few 3-5 min coffee breaks along the way. The wife and I are very much considering trading this trailer in for something different. General RV, who sold us the unit, is trying to work with us. We will see what they come up with. We have had NOTHING but trouble with this unit and it's getting frustrating having to repair something every time we take it out. Ugh.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
dcg9381

I don't know the accumulation of all the troubles, but on an 08, I'd expect 1-1.5 years of getting it sorted (that's at my use rate). After that should be solid if you go through it.

I've only bought one new unit, but it's been almost as much trouble as the used units that I've purchased. Not sure you can buy your way out of having to do some repairs (new or used)...

Whatever that is worth... If you like it otherwise, consider keeping it. If I had one bad bearing on my trailer, I'd likely do them all at that time. Won't prevent a failure due to a brake overheat, but it might give a little peace of mind.