Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
lifecamper

anyone added a secound landing motor?

I have a Springdale 5th wheel that uses one landing jack motor and a connection shaft. I would like to change this to two individual landing jacks by adding a motor and control switch to the other side and removing the connection shaft. Has anyone done this. It would appear the unit is already made for this set up as there is a manual crank access on both sides. I have found a motor and reduction gear that would appear to work and it comes with a switch. My goal is to have two independent landing jacks to level on uneven ground.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Use caution attempting to level the trailer by using the landing gear. Ideally, you should use blocks under the tires to get the trailer "essentially level" side to side, then use the pin extensions on the landing gear to adjust the gear to the length needed to maintain what you've achieved with the blocks under the tires.

Attempting to raise one side with independent landing gear is a very good way to "twist the frame" and cause your slides to malfunction.

There is a "very good reason" to have a motor on each side if you're experiencing slow or overloaded landing gear function, but the landing gear is not designed to raise one side in the front without raising the rear of the chassis on that same side (as with the auto-level system).

You risk damaging your RV if you're not very careful!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
WaltBennett

I replace the entire set with Bulldog dual motor ones. Separate switches and separate breakers. Yes, you still have to be careful, but I only use blocks under the wheels if there's more than a couple of inches difference. As for frame twisting, consider what a Level-Up system does and the frames aren't any different.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
lifecamper

That is exactly what I am trying to do. The level-up system is expensive so if I can make the landing gears individual for a small amount then add the rear jacks I can create a manual leveling system. I always try to get as level as possible before setting up but it would be nice to make this an easier task.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote