Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #1
byrdr1

Questions about WLS & Camping

you ask what is WLS? I am opening up on here to see if anyone has any thing they can add to my journey and its all camping related.
WLS is Weight Loss Surgery. I am scheduled for this surgery later this month. Its the newest procedure SIPS.
I am only asking what do you do if you have had this as far as camping eating goes. Basically I know what I cant eat going forward and I know what I can eat going forward but how do you handle it for the rest of the family and just plan ole' what do you eat now versus what you did eat.
I am not throwing this out for a discussion of should of, could of, etc.
This decision was not made haphazardly, its the end of over 2 years of study, research, soul searching and I have done the should of's and could of's. Its a jump start to a healthier life style.
So even if you have had this and want to keep it on the down low, message me.
I am really excited for this journey to start and spend more quality time with my family.
So this is why I ask. I have 3 trips the rest of this year, This is why I have not camped in over 3 months now. I just really want to KNOW what has changed other than the eating habits. better or worse let me know.
thanks and if you Believe or not, thoughts and prayers are appreciated.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

For us, eating while camping is no different than eating at home. Sometimes we eat the same things, sometimes we prepare two different meals, etc. We don't have kids, so it may be easier. Good luck to you.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
GaryWT

I would say it would be the same as at home and yes either the family follows you or 2 meals are created. The extra snacking is an issue while camping and sitting around the fire. If you don't buy it, you don't have it. Good luck with everything.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Randy -
I'm sorry to hear about your health issue and the problems you are now facing. Since none of us here have the necessary medical knowledge and qualifications to give guidance or advice on what changes you may or may not be looking at "down the road", I would suggest that you speak to your family physician or other health care professionals. They are the folks who are qualified and who would be the best source to discuss what effect this procedure might have on your camping future and your eating/snacking habits.

Here's wishing you a successful and speedy recovery and hope that you can continue to enjoy camping.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Festus2, a "RV Forum" is not the place to obtain medical advice. That being said, it's pretty simple to keep the same regimen in a "modern Keystone RV" that you follow at home. The fully equipped kitchen, adequate counter space and refrigerated storage give the user "all the conveniences" found in the "home kitchen".

How's that for a "Keystone advertisement" ????

Honestly, the way RV's are equipped today, there's not much difference in staying home or dragging an RV to a "campground" for the weekend. Between the stove, refrigerator, running water and a sink to clean up the mess from cooking, about the only thing that's not already included is a garbage disposal for the egg shells and potato peelings.

Good Luck with your surgery, follow your physician's advice and don't try to do "too much, too fast"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
byrdr1

I am not seeking medical advise. I got all that covered over the last two years of study and research. I have a great DR and he has been more than willing to answer questions. I just wanted a real life experience answer if there was one.
I was just asking if anyone had any input on how it changed their camping habits. IF no one does so be it. I will leave it alone.
I understand the two meal thing and I really had not thought of that. I do all the cooking on the camping trips as it is. BUT no more sitting round the campfire looking at roasted marshmallow and chocolate with graham crackers. NO more dew drop inn beverages either.
Once the healing takes place I can eat mostly soft low fat,no sugar foods for several months and then it opens back up to most foods. BUT it must be high in protein and lots of liquids in between.
Thanks for the comments.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
jtyphoid

We have found that we have to make more frequent grocery runs while camping.

This is mostly due to having less storage space, but the RV fridge also contributes due to it not working quite as well as a home style fridge.

The RV fridge/freezers that we have used don't recover as well from having the door opened, so we have found that certain foods, like fresh lettuce or salad mix, just don't keep as well.

Perhaps the new RV units (helium based, I think) work better than the older ammonia ones. I don't know.

That's it for the differences we see between home and RV camping.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote