Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Pocketlake1

We are first time owners, lots of question.

Hello Folks, my husband and I have just purchased a new Montana High Country 318RE 5th wheeler. This is our first purchase of a travel trailer of any kind, so we are very excited and have lots of questions. I've been reading the different threads and they are very helpful, so thank you all. We live in Orlando and are going to VA to pick it up. We plan to spend two days coming back with it, and will not have a generator by then. Besides the generator, What should be some of the first required items we need to purchase? Thanks in advance for your help.
Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have a checklist for new RV owners right here on the forum. To find it, go to the Prospective Owners section and click on the Slowpoke's sticky right at the top of the listings. I think this is what you might be looking for.

Welcome to the forum too!!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Hercules1978

For now I will only suggest the basics as each camper has individual needs.
I would get a good sewer hose, drinking water hose, rv safe toilet paper. Depending on where you will be camping, a 25' extension for your electric cord and an adapter to go from 50 to 30 amp (or vice versa, or both). A 30 or 50 amp to 15 amp is nice if you load up at home just to run lights.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum from W TX! Going back to Orlando from Virginia you say two days...or are you spending two nights? I would take the time and do 2 nights if you can.

Sewer hose with clear end and adapter for the campground waste inlet; at least 25' fresh water hose; black water flush hose if you have the flush option; 50/30, 50/15 adapters (or 30 amp if that is what you have); rv toilet paper; black tank sanitizer; water pressure regulator; L for fresh water inlet; flashlight; basic tools including a #2 square drive bit for all the screws in the trailer; torque wrench with sockets for truck and trailer lug nuts; inline water filter (some places on the east coast have some really "fishy" water); PDI checklist from this forum for your walkthru before taking possession (***Important**). Depending when and where you want to get them I would recommend paper plates, plastic cups, some sort of coffee cups (if you drink coffee); a way to make the coffee, trash can for kitchen and bathroom, linens, towels/washcloths, toiletries....well, guess I'm going off the deep end. When you get it home you will find more things you will want....clock w/battery backup etc. (Sorry).

Have a good time coming home. Just put all your stuff in your truck and move into the trailer at your first campsite. Good luck and have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
GmaPaTime

from Virginia

I'd include all that has been mentioned but would include two additional items.
1. A role of Duck tape to patch anything that comes apart....
2. Pen and paper.... to start writing down all the things you'll realize you want or need.

One more thing..... An adult beverage. Enjoy
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
notanlines

We agree with everything said above, plus a bad with an assortment of zip ties. Maybe an extra 12 pack "just in case." But the one we agree with the most is what sourdough wrote, take an extra night. It will help you get acclimated to the trailer and your needs and also give you little "down" time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote