Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
ncbound123

I feel like an idiot.... lol

Since we took delivery of our FZ395 I was puzzeled about the two awnings. They only went straight out and had a flat even with the roof level. This morning I found the little push buttons on the leg supports that allows you to angle them down for better shade and water run off. I was almost about to give up being able to adjust the angle, but I just noticed the adjustment setting buttons this morning. Much nicer now. Now we just have to get the dealer to fix the LED lights on them and it will be perfect.
The finer things in life.
ncbound123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Maybe there's another one of those magic buttons that you haven't discovered yet which will turn the LED lights on.........
Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
ncbound123

The lights work, just a lot of them on the back awning are not lighing up and maybe a dozen or so on the front one are not lighting up as well. Still waiting to take it back to the dealer for our punch list and there are a few other things that we have found that need attention. We just want to enjoy the campoing season and then the dealer can take their time on getting it all done.
The finer things in life.
ncbound123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I've replaced lots of those LED strips. Had one that ALL LEDs worked at PDI. Detail kid, not knowing any better turned them on and left them on when he rolled up the awning.

I found the switch on a day later and when I unrolled the awning, about 1/3 of the lights no longer worked. Made for an awkward walk-through.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
05hd350

LEDs

Hello, we too have a 2014 395 that so far we love. Had a few issues and one being the awning lights are very dim. Appeared fine during our daytime PDI but now a candle puts out more light. Going to contact the dealer soon on this. Had a hydraulic leak (loose fitting) that I repaired. And I believe the check valve for the black tank flush my be installed wrong. Haven't gotten into that yet but it's next on my list. Please keep us posted on your issues and repairs. Thanks and good luck.
05hd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
Rabbit Sheriff

I'm on my third set of led lights, on both awnings, in a year and half. Dometic sent 2 sets no questions asked last time (so must be aware of common problem). I put heat shrink on the ends last time. Appeared moisture was getting in somewhere, even though they are (supposedly) water proof.
Rabbit Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
{tpc}

Do those led strips look like the kind you can buy at places like walmart...they come in a roll and you can get ones that come with a remote to turn them on and off and change color?

If so, I wouldn't say they are waterproof. They sold the ones I talk about around christmas time, and I have used them for various projects at work. Quite inexpensive for what they do which is nice, but not the most robust of designs.

I am sure most of these are made in china, and when your talking about led's, awnings, outdoors...etc...I don't think the folks making them really know what we expect out of something waterproof.

Even a led that is "sealed" is probably not sealed enough to withstand what it would need to in this application. FWIW, if you have a strip that lights from the powered side half way (or however far) and then just stops, its probably a broken line or trace making the rest not light. If just a couple are out here or there...its probably damaged LED's.

Led's aren't real fans of moisture. That said, its possible that when everything is completely dry they will work again. I also don't think rolling up the awning with them on or not would have any effect. Nor leaving them on for a long time.

I had a setup of 3 leds color cycling on my desk. Old technology mind you, and they lasted staying on for I would say something like 7 years? On the entire time. I only recently turned them off because part of the tri-color led burned out and it wasn't cycling like it used to. So given the right conditions, they can last a long time.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
BeaverRZR

I don't care for the awnings on my FZ342 at all. Like you said, flat with the roof line and not easily adjusted. I have to carry a 4' step ladder just for awning adjustment.

As far as the LED's go, I have one or two here and there in the awning light strip that don't work but for the most part they have been very nice. I am out of warranty so when they go I'll change them out myself. Can't be too difficult, Keystone did it lol
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
matandjen

I just realized the ability to adjust the awnings at a motorcycle rally we went to this past week. Feel stupid about not realizing it...oh well...better late then never
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
wbatto

I Feel your pain

We Bought a 381 last year (2013). The awing lights for both awnings went bad before the end of summer. The Dealer replaced them over the winter. This year the lights have slowly went out one or two at a time everytime we use them. As far as the awning adjustments goes when we bought our unit we asked the Dealer if you could adjust them. The answer was “No you can’t”. After reading the book for the awnings I also figured out yes there is an adjustment. Last fall we went to an RV show and the Dealer was there. I told them you can adjust the awnings and showed them how……………They asked me if I wanted a job………Lol
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
bduncan1231

I've got a few lights out on mine also. But by the time I take it to a dealer in Chatanooga that WILL actually work on it in a timely manner, I could have bought a few of the LED strips and installed myself. Also I just figured out the awning adjustment myself this past weekend. It would have been nice knowing about it when I got the tear in it a few trips ago from a sudden thunderstorm!

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4

2012 Polaris RZR 900XP
bduncan1231 is offline   Reply With Quote