Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
gr8fulgrandmim

Hot Water Heater recommendation

We just purchased our first 5th wheel. It's a used 2005 Keystone Laredo. We purchased from a friend, the condition is immaculate, but we knew the hot water heater needed replaced. Any recommendations are appreciated! Brand? Tankless? Install ourselves vs repair center?

Thanks!!
gr8fulgrandmim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
Bob Landry

One of the two major brands, and I can't think of which one, has a plastic tank liner and does not require periodic changing of an anode. Size is going to be determined by how much hot water you use. It's only DW and myself, so the 6 gallon one does us fine even for back to pack showers using propane and electric heat for fast recovery. Given a choice and if this one ever fails, my preference would be a 10 gallon. The price difference is nominal .and the extra capacity would be nice. Also, we camp in CGs with hookups, so heating the extra capacity tank would not be a $$$ consideration. JMHO.
Installation/swap should be easy. It's only a couple of electrical and plumbing connections. I don't know a lot about the tankless, on-demand water heaters except that my understanding is current draw when heating is considerable.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
therink

There are 2 major brands, Atwood and Suburban. While Suburban requires an anode, that is not a big deal. If you already have a suburban, I would stick with that brand as the outside cut out for the cover and venting should be the same and require less modifications for replacement.
The only difference would be maybe the wiring as the newer units have electronic dsi ignition (12 v) and optional 115v heating element. What model heater do you have now?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Steve, If you change brands, you will have some required modifications of plumbing and probably RV frame modifications. Keeping the same brand and size will pretty much allow for a 1:1 exchange with the possibility of having to wire 115VAC and 12VDC to the new model (if the old one doesn't have this already available.

Changing out the HWH for a "same size and shape" replacement is usually nothing more than disconnecting electric/water/propane connections, removing the outside faceplate, unscrewing the old HWH, checking the condition of the wood/frame/siding in the RV, slipping in the new HWH, securing it in place, reconnecting the electric/water/propane connections and turning it on.

If you currently have a DSI capability, the wiring for the inside switch is already installed. If you currently have a manual light (with standing pilot light) HWH, then you'll also need to wire the indoor switch to a convenient location in your RV. You may not want to do this, so it is a consideration in deciding what type of replacement to buy.

For ease of installation and to do a 1:1 exchange, stay with the brand, size and model you currently have. But if you're wanting to upgrade features, now is the time to do it.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
Javi

Go back with the same brand and size, too much work to do otherwise.

The Suburban is a steel tank and requires an anode, the Atwood has an aluminum tank and does not require an anode. The use of a sacrificial anode is not a big deal and generally the maintenance is pretty much the same. Normally the anode is replaced once a year for nominal cost.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
lifecamper

Suburban / Atwood

I have a SW6DE Suburban in my 2007 Springdale. I just referbed it for $152. New annoad, new electric 1500W element,and new gas valve. Flushed and fixed in about 2 hrs. not counting the trip to Ogden to get parts. Thought of changing type and size but there wasnt enough room but for the original. Much easier way to go.JMHO
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote