Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
DougMoffat

Detached Shower Wall

Hi all,
Just took possession of a new Cougar 28SGS and the molded shower surround has come loose from the wall by the shower base. I understand that it is held in place with double sided tape. When you press on the shower surround, it holds for a few minutes and then the tape releases. This creates a gap between the base and the shower surround which could allow water between the show surround and wall proper. I am concerned, that mold could develop here.
Higher up on the shower surround are push-pin clips(?) that hold the shower surround tight to the wall. Should I uses some of these near the bottom? Does anybody know if there is anything important (like electrical or plumbing) inside the shower walls by the shower base? Once affixed, I plan to silicone to make a flexible but permanent seal.

Any suggestions or comments to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Doug
DougMoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The base of the shower side walls on many RV's, including ours, is loose and does not adhere to the side wall. It probably hasn't come loose - it is installed so that it overlaps the lip of the shower floor basin and is not glued or clipped to anything. The shower floor, if you were to look at it, has a lip that extends upward against the wall. The shower sides extend over this lip but do leave a "gap" between the two.

Some members have applied silicone caulking to this gap as a means of preventing any water from splashing up and over the lip. I've never done this with our shower and have not yet experienced any issues.

The water, during showering, runs down the sides without splashing up into the gap. There is enough of an overlap to prevent this from happening.

If you are concerned, apply silicone to the gap.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
gearhead

Our 28SGS shower has the floppy walls too. I haven't done anything with it. Just more of the cheapest materials and labor costs they are famous for.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
theeyres

Festus2 has explained it well. No need to worry about it. Silicone it for your own peace of mind.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote