Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Mentor for new 2004 3685fl owner?

Hello, posted an introduction in the forum for it. Quick synopsis, new full timers, mid thirties, working from the road, two dogs, 2003 Dodge Cummins, 2004 Montana front living fifth wheel. Never rv'd before.

I have so many questions, that it seems overwhelming. I was on another forum, but realized that I had a lot of rig specific questions, and thought I should sign up here. I have not had time to browse this site, or do searches for my questions, but wanted to run the mentor idea past you all?

I am looking for someone with a similar rig (not sure how long this floorplan was made) who has spent a lot of road time in it, and possibly has done some modifications to it. I am hoping this someone would be willing to take me under their wing, and answer a lot of seemingly stupid questions, to help me get up to speed? Our rig was bought private party, so I did not have the chance to have everything explained to me as I might have at a dealer.

I'll post a list of questions and thoughts I am running into. Not looking for answers necessarily on this post, just giving and idea of where I am at mentally. I fully intend to read the faqs, and wear out the search button.

Systems:
I have this nagging need to know all about the systems I have, how they work, where they are, what I should be planning for, etc. I am having a hard time finding it. The manual is fairly generic, and it seems that Keystone has a strict, no schematics release to the public. I know next to nothing about this rig, and it is making me nervous. I do not know what the walls, roof, or floor is made of, where the plumbing gas and electrical are, where joists are. Do not know anything about the appliances, do not know how the slides or jacks work, or how I am supposed to maintain them. I am scared to even hang a picture on the wall, because I do not know how the framing is done.

Modifications and upgrades:

I have questions about after market upgrades, such as slide awnings, and hydraulic levelers.
We want to change the finishes, but have questions about painting over vs stripping wallpaper, and can the cabinets be painted, and how hard is it to re-carpet, and can we paint the gold foil highlights on the fireplace and shower.
We need to put in office spaces, I want to tear out the front cabinets, put in a flat screen and a desk system for me. Not sure if I can hang the flatscreen from the front structure, or if I need to make it floor supported, because I cannot find structural layouts of the rig. We want to put a king size bed in the bedroom, but see that it will not fit when the slides are closed. Could we put a fold out extender, and use two smaller mattresses that would stack on each other when close? Is there a better system? Could we also incorporate some sort of half murphy bed to increase office space?

Improving existing systems:
I have questions about water filters, and pressure regulators, and surge protectors, and on demand water heaters, and composting toilets, and solar panels, and generators. There is only one battery, should I put in more? Do I need to put jack stands under the slides for support, if so where? Can I put hydraulic levelers in the back, can I separate the front ones to be independent?

As you can see, I am all over the place, and those are just the rig specific ones. I have questions about insurance, and parks, and traveling with the dogs, and my truck, and........As I said, I am not necessarily looking for answers in this post, just wanted to ask about the mentor idea, especially for best practices and things to watch out for with my specific model. I can probably find answers to everything be reading old questions, and fiddling with my unit. Thanks to all
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Dave -
Hello and welcome to the forum. I would suggest that find the most appropriate section of the forum and then post your question(s) there. This section is for "Odds 'n Ends" and may not get you the responses you are looking for.

I see that you have some questions that would be more suitable in the Modifications & Upgrades while others appear to be Repairs & Maintenance. Keep in mind that placing the same post/question in 2 or 3 different parts of the forum is considered a "No - No".

The forum Search feature is a handy tool and before asking a question that has been asked and answered numerous times already, I would recommend that you become familiar with this function although it seems as though you have already done this. If you can't find the answer after having searched the forum, then jump in and ask - there are lots of members who have the experience and knowledge to help you get through the learning curve.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Dave -
Hello and welcome to the forum. I would suggest that find the most appropriate section of the forum and then post your question(s) there. This section is for "Odds 'n Ends" and may not get you the responses you are looking for.

I see that you have some questions that would be more suitable in the Modifications & Upgrades while others appear to be Repairs & Maintenance. Keep in mind that placing the same post/question in 2 or 3 different parts of the forum is considered a "No - No".

The forum Search feature is a handy tool and before asking a question that has been asked and answered numerous times already, I would recommend that you become familiar with this function although it seems as though you have already done this. If you can't find the answer after having searched the forum, then jump in and ask - there are lots of members who have the experience and knowledge to help you get through the learning curve.
Hi Festus, I was not actually asking any of those questions. I was just looking for someone with a similar rig who might be able to hold my hand while I get a handle on what I have, and what I need to do. I just posted the list of things on my mind so any one who was thinking about it could see where I was.

A perfect example is that I just about tore my awning anchor bolts out of the wall right now trying to figure out how the awning worked.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Dave,

I did a forum search for 3685FL and found 9 threads containing that term. That may be a way for you to identify anyone with the same RV. Once you do identify them, click on their name, go to their profile and under their name you will see a comment, "Last Activity..." That will indicate when that member was last signed onto the forum. If it is relatively recent, you might try to PM them to ask if they are willing to "mentor" you. If they haven't signed onto the forum for a year or more, chances are they no longer are interested in this forum or they have "moved on" to some other interest.

As you use the search feature, keep in mind that most of Keystone's RV's are built using the same techniques, materials, appliances, furniture, plumbing, heating, cooling, electrical systems. The light fixtures you find in an Alpine are the same as those you'll find in a Vantage, so "from A to V" they are pretty much the same RV, only fancier, more features, different floor plans. I say this because what works to repair one of Keystone's RV's will almost always work to solve a similar problem on most other models. As for information on appliances, basic plumbing, heating, cooling, gas and electrical systems, always remember that Google is your friend. You can download model specific owner's manuals on most items installed in your RV from the manufacturer's website. Armed with those manuals, you can pretty much maintain your RV in a manner similar to your stick built home. Sure, there are differences, but they are, for the most part, readily apparent to even the most "unskilled novice".

As for slides, go here: http://www.lci1.com/ and become familiar with the support section of Lippert's website. They are the manufacturer of most slide mechanisms, jacks, frames, and more recently, even the tub/shower, countertops, sinks, doors and windows in most RV's made by virtually any manufacturer. The information on that website will really be valuable in maintaining your RV's mechanical systems.

Another "awesome" website is: http://rvbasics.com/rv-technical-articles-1.html

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff. Life is an adventure, Once you get over your initial "fears of the unknown" you'll come to either love or hate RV living. Here's hoping you join the ranks of those who find it the best way to travel and see the great things in our part of the world.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Many thank John, fantastic idea about searching for members with the same model. Even without bothering them, I can read their posts. Also, thank you for the links, I will take a look at them this evening.

That is part of my problem, balancing my time to do research, with work and other time sucks, with my massive volume of ignorance, and my fierce desire to get out on the road.

As you say, do not sweat the small stuff. Thank you again.