Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
alexsbuddy

Low Point Drains

I started winterizing my 2001 Sprinter 274 RLS today (first time for me....just bought it this year) and could not find the low point drains for the hot and cold lines. I looked everywhere underneath. I did locate the drain line for the fresh water tank. Did the 2001 model not have low point drains?

Also, my hot water heater has what appears to be a single valve by-pass. The valve is located at the junction of the by-pass line and the cold water line. Is one valve all that is necessary? I assume if it is that the water heater must have a backflow preventer on the hot line.

I am using the compressed air method and a water pump suction kit for filling the lines with anti-freeze.

Any help would be appreciated.
alexsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Somewhere underneath your Sprinter there must be low point drains. Have you actually crawled underneath to have a really close look? If not, try that and they might be located just ahead of the front axle. They should protrude from the black Coroplast but if not they might be cut off level with it so they can't be seen by a casual inspection.

If you are not the first owner, they might have been modified in some way by the previous owner.

A single HW bypass valve is common.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
alexsbuddy

I went underneath on a creeper and looked everywhere....can not even find a place in the coraplast where they might have even been. Will contact Keystone and see what they can tell me. Very interesting!

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Our 1972 Jayco didn't have low point drains. All the water lines were inside the unit and ran through cupboards and walls to get to where they were needed. Of course that was before the days of PEX and even before most of today's plastics. The water lines were all 3/8" copper with flared fittings, not even compression fittings.

So, it is remotely possible that you don't have low point drains on your RV, but I'd at least look once more with a "keen eye" toward looking to find evidence of where they might have been, things like empty holes in the underside of the floor, patches applied to the underlayment, or foam/silicone "bumps" in the underlayment. If you don't have (or simply can't find) the low point drains, you'll be forced to use RV antifreeze to winterize your system, otherwise, you won't be able to get all the water out and it will freeze if not diluted sufficiently with antifreeze.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
alexsbuddy

Well, I corresponded with Keystone and they said it definitely should have low point drains. Given the fact that I have scoured every square inch of the underside and cannot locate them or any place where the coroplast has a hole for them to protrude through, I am betting that, if they exist, that they are tucked up behind the coroplast. I am going to loosen the coroplast in one small area and take a look....they said to start near the water heater. I sure hope they are there.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

It seems that many low point drains are located just in front of the front axle and about 2 feet in (on the driver's side). I would look in that area before looking near the HW tank but if that is the advice you got from Keystone, I would hope that they have some knowledge of where they should be located for that year and model.
Since you RV is "older", the drains may indeed be near the water heater.

Let us know if and where you found them. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Jager

I have had old campers that did NOT have the low point drains. It wouldn't surprise me at all if yours doesn't have them. There is no hidden compartment or anything like that . . . you either see them or they aren't there.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
famoussenior

Low Point Drains

I have a 2014 277 RLS Sprinter and had a hard time finding mine but I did! Mine are located directly underneath the water heater just inside the skirting but outside the frame and underbelly of the trailer. Mine are about 4 inches long and hard to see but they are there with black end caps.

I felt I had purchased my first trailer without low point drains until I decided they had to be there. Finally, I found them while conducting winterizing.

Hope you find yours.
famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Dadstoy

Our 1890 has the low drains in the rear by the back bumper. One red one black with caps on them.
Dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote