Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Jim7411

Sticky grey water valve

I have a 2012 Laredo 324rl with a very stiff grey water valve. My dealer suggested running some antifreeze through it to loosen it up. He says the antifreeze has a lubricant in it that might help. The only other option would be accessing the valve and repairing or replacing it, which is a bit of work since the propane line would have to be dropped before the belly cover can be removed. Any ideas?
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
mguay

Check out the pics in this http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10892 thread. This is what I found in my 2010 underbelly. If the valves have been like that since new....it is probably a cable issue like mine was.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7411 View Post
I have a 2012 Laredo 324rl with a very stiff grey water valve. My dealer suggested running some antifreeze through it to loosen it up. He says the antifreeze has a lubricant in it that might help. The only other option would be accessing the valve and repairing or replacing it, which is a bit of work since the propane line would have to be dropped before the belly cover can be removed. Any ideas?
Do you know if yours is a remote valve with up to 6' of cable or is the handle connected directly to the valve? You may have to peek above the coroplast to verify this.

I ask because if it is a remote cable model, there's also a fair possibility that the cable is binding and not the valve. The end result is the same and so is the feel when you try to open or close it.

Once you know which you have, then you can plan how to fix it. A while back we had a detailed discussion about how to deal with a sticky cable so you can use the search function to find that. If the handle is connected directly to the valve, then you can try the antifreeze trick. Others have reported good luck with coconut oil, too.

You may not have to fully drop the propane line. If you just remove the hangers, it may sag just enough to get the screws out of the edges of the coroplast and pull it away. As we've recommended many times, you really don't have to drop the whole belly. Once you can see up in there, you can determine what is where. Most folks will cut the coroplast and only expose the area they need to work on. We always recommend cutting no more than 3 sides so that you have a flap. Generally the hinge of the flap should be to the front of the trailer so that if it does come loose, it won't act like a scoop when traveling. Since you're working from the edge, you'd only have to cut two sides. Again, there are already quite a few threads with details and hints on working with the coroplast.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
chuck&gail

If it is the valve, try this. FIRST EMPTY the waste tank. Then shoot a little silicon spray on the pull rod, then fog half a can of silicon spray back up the dump outlet while working the valve.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
theeyres

If it is just a lever connected directly to the valve (no cable) I just squirt a whole bunch of WD 40 onto the shaft and work it back and forth. It has always worked.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Jim7411

It's a cable operated valve, so I guess I need to do a little more digging. The cable routing seems like a good probability. Looks like it's time to get on the ground and start looking. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Jim7411

Thanks Steve. I crawled underneath and took out enough hanger clips so that I could squeeze my arm into the underbelly. I was able to pull the cable enough to lessen the tight bend in it. Works just fine now!