Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Pmedic4

Understanding TV / Antenna Connections

Have a Cougar High Country, and I'm slightly puzzled by the TV antenna connections. There are several connections in the RV, and not sure where and how they connect. First, there is a coax connector in the Storage compartment, which has 12V car type power connection. Then in the main living are, there are 3 coax jacks, where 2 on a single plate are connected together with a Jumper. The other plate single coax connect is connected to the TV. Then in the bedroom area, is another single coax connector, with a 12v car type power connection, and also the on/off push button switch for the amplifier, and finally there is the outside SAT connection in the rear area of the RV.
Since the RV came connected, I assume this is proper for normal operation. I imagine their is some splitter somewhere, that connects to three coax jacks: bedroom, storage comparment, and TV. Where is that splitter to check the connections?
Also confusing, the jumper plate with 2 coax connections. If one of these is the SAT cable coming in, what does the jumper connection provide an input to? Another input port on the splitter, so it goes to the other 3 coax ports listed above?
Would really appreciate someone explaining the logic and connection methodolgy. On our trips to our local spot, we've barely had any reception, 2 channels, but with another RV, we got 15 channels.
Thanks!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
therink

Based on the two Keystones I have owned, my guess is that the splitters or hub of coax connections may be inside the wall behind the antenna amp (everything sort of hangs loose inside the wall) . Try removing the amp wall plate and check inside the wall. That is where all of my coax wiring intercepts before feeding off to the various other points in the trailer.
Good luck.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
MarkS

I just spent some time with a signal tracer to figure out my new trailer. It should not be this hard, but it is.

In general, the SAT connector on the outside of the trailer, goes directly to entertainment center. This is where you connect it to the satellite box.

In general, the outside cable connector goes to one side of the jumper. The other side goes to the antenna amp. From the amp, the cables get split to the other television outlets.

The jumper lets you insert a cable box into the system.

A few labels would really help the consumer understand how it works.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Pmedic4

Antenna wiring diagram

Thinks for the comments.
It sure would help if the manufacturers would just provide a simple one page diagram of the antenna layout, and examples of connections. Problem is you can't tell if you have a wiring issue, are camping in a dead reception area, or want to add a satellite box/cable box.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
SlowPoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Thinks for the comments.
It sure would help if the manufacturers would just provide a simple one page diagram of the antenna layout, and examples of connections. Problem is you can't tell if you have a wiring issue, are camping in a dead reception area, or want to add a satellite box/cable box.
They are nice to have, but as a past service electrician,never having plans readily available... I've troubleshoot problems in homes, and businesses after jacklegs have been there and tried to find flying joints in walls, broken wires, blown joints in boxes, rat/mouse bitten romex, cut and hid wires in ceilings...I've seen it all...(I think). Surely even a good set of plans have never shown jack-legged additions ROFL...

My TT isn't THAT rough and seems to be a breeze after years of the previous paragraph, but I agree sometimes ya just would like to have SOMETHING to go by. I've spent alot of time in my TT just tracing wires,cables, and pipes to see where they go, and what they do. Whether to rework it for my benefit or to check and make sure it was installed safely. Even found an option or two I didn't know I had. Like the black tank flusher...I asked, and the walkthrough tech said the connection outside was NOT a flush...but it WAS.( Stupid lil boy, didn't know his stuff, so I got someone else to walkthrough with me )

I've always said, owning a camper isn't for the "Non-do-it-yourselfer" unless you have alot of spare money floating around...

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
rfinglet

OPERATION: To receive cable signals
from outdoor receptacle: Press switch to
OFF position. Light on wallplate will go (OFF)
showing that power is no longer connected to
the amplifier and that both TV sets are receiving
signals from outdoor receptacle.
To receive signals from antenna: Press
switch to ON position. Light on wallplate will
come (ON) showing that power is connected to
the amplifier and both TV sets are receiving
signals from the antenna.
rfinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Quad

I'm going through this now figuring my camper our. Labels would go a long way!

Tags
antenna, tv reception