Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
oldcrow

Trip to Halifax NS

Hi we are planning a trip from MD to Halifax NS in early Aug.2010.Any things we should watch out for and other things to see of interest.
Thanks
oldcrow
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
wheelygoode

In New Brunswick: Hopewell Rocks to see the 40 foot tides and walk on the ocean floor. You can see both tides in a 6 hour period, check online for tide times.

In Halifax:
We have stayed at Woodhaven RV park, nice owners and convenient, although not on the water.
You may like to check out Shubie Park (busy on weekends but has bike paths etc.) or one of the parks on the coast - we stayed at Murphys on the Water a few years back and it was great. The KOA in Mt. Uniacke is not far from the city either.
Be sure to spend time on the waterfront in Halifax - the busker festival is on from August 5th - 15th. Also Pier 21, the Citadel, the Museum of the Atlantic....
Is Halifax your destination, or will you be going other places in the province? How much time do you have? A trip to Nova Scotia isn't complete without seeing Cape Breton (leave your trailer in Wycocomagh and drive around the Cabot Trail), and you can go home via Prince Edward Island. Take the ferry from Nova Scotia, drive down the island and then cross to New Brunswick - a few dollars cheaper as you only pay to get off the island, and the bridge is marginally cheaper than the ferry.
There is the whole rest of the province too - from Halifax to Yarmouth either along the south shore or through the valley, all lovely country.
Check it all out online before you come - you'll end up with more ideas than you will have time for
Our home is Nova Scotia, so feel free to ask us any questions! Also, each province has a tourist guide that you can have them mail to you. Mail from Canada to US takes extra time, so you'll need to do that right away.
A note about crossing the border: check online to see what you can and can't
bring across. No guns! The crossing at St. Stephen/Calais is more scenic, but we've found less hassle at Houlton, but that's just our experience. We used to have a bigger rig, and I think the border guys just wanted to check it out. Houlton is a larger crossing and they are more used to big rigs there. Our present rig shouldn't be a problem anywhere
Happy travels!!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
SlowPoke

I'm gonna resurrect this thread from the dead...

I'm planning on visiting next year, ever since my wife saw that darn series of movies "Anne of Avonlea" she has bugged me to go! (22 years) and now that we have a camper, I reckon it's time to make good on all those "I promises"...

Anyone been lately? has much changed in 2.5 years that I could still use the advice of wheelygoode??

Of course, I'm heading to Charlottetown, but still. What will I need to expect to cross the US border? Haven't been across since I was about 12, and didn't need to have anything but my birth certificate then...how about now?

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

When crossing the border into Canada, you will, of course, have to pass through Customs and you will require a current Passport to gain entry. A Passport is required by US Customs officials as well when you return to the U.S.

If you have any animals with you, they will have to have appropriate vaccinations/shots. Check with your vet for what shots are required.

I know this is a contentious issue in your country right now but Canada has different laws with respect to guns. For example, if you are on a hunting trip and have done the necessary paperwork and obtained the necessary permits to have hunting rifle(s) with you, you would be allowed to bring those across the border. It does not appear however, that you are visiting Canada to hunt so rifles and/or shotguns would not be permitted.

You would not be permitted to enter Canada with any type of handgun. Being in possession of or carrying a handgun for personal protection is not an acceptable reason for bringing it into our country. It will be confiscated and you may be subject to further penalties.

My advice to you would be to leave your guns (handguns, rifles, shotguns) at home if you have them and are used to carrying them around with you when camping in the U.S.

I am not telling you this for any kind of political statement nor am I wishing to start any kind of debate or commentary here on the forum about guns. Our gun laws are not the same as yours and I am just saying that you need to be aware of those differences.

You might also want to check with our border officials about what kinds of food or agricultural products are acceptable. When we enter the US, we are always asked about this. Not sure about the rules coming the other way. Oh yes, check about the alcohol and tobacco requirements.....

You can Google Canadian Customs and see what other border issues there might be. I think I have covered the most important ones.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
x96mnn

SlowPoke,

I am from Nova Scotia and feel free to private msg me for some details on what to see and do. Depending on your time I would highly recommend where you are this close to take a few days or a week to visit Cape Breton. The Cabot Trail is rated as one of the top natural wonders of the world and to be that close and not take it in may be a regret. Plus they have 3 of he top 5 golf courses in Canada.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/novasco...ape_breton.htm

In Halifax decent shopping, Peggy's Cove s nice.

PEI is just a nice little province all together. More great golf course, beaches and just an overall tourist province. Anne of Green Gabels is their staple so to speak but lots more to see ando.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
SlowPoke

Great info guys! I don't carry a gun, YET...but will be when traveling around the US, but when time to visit the great North, I'll leave it behind . I'll be hunting for a good time, but won't need a firearm for that...lol My DW will certainly extend her thank you as well, as she is frothing at the mouth to go and as soon as we get Disney, and Gatlinburg out of our system, we'll plan the trip to PEI. I'll have to include to plan some extra time to take in those other well. If not , I'm sure it won't be my last trip up there ;P

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote