Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Scorn

Dealer Question?

Well I am about to buy a new TT, 2014 Bullet 241BHS, its a new floor plan and a dealer in another state that I had been working a price on a 2013 22 Premier told me about it.

I have another dealer in state one hour away but will come within $700.00 of the other dealer's price.

I kind of feel bad for the one 3 1/2 hours away since he told me about the trailor.

Should I buy it closer or the one 3 1/2 hrs away and $700.00 cheaper.

I know final decision is mine but just wanted some input.

Thanks
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
RGRTim

Others might not agree but i would stay local if it were me. I like doing business with the guy right down the street as I am close enough that I can drop in regularly and build somewhat of a relationship. Just my 2 pennies. Good luck with your new purchase, wherever its from.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
davidcyndi

buy local for sure especially if its only over 700$. You hear too many horror stories of people being refused warranty service because they did not buy the unit there. buy local

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcyndi View Post
buy local for sure especially if its only over 700$. You hear too many horror stories of people being refused warranty service because they did not buy the unit there. buy local
+1 on that.

There are a number of threads here already with horror stories of folks buying a trailer at one dealership and then being refused warranty service at another. If it's not an outright refusal, they sometimes will accept the work with the clear understand that it goes to the back of the line and other customer's work will be placed ahead, even if it comes in after yours.

It just plain stinks, but we've chewed on it a lot and there does not seem to be any resolution.l

One gent bought his trailer up north and then moved permanently to the south somewhere and had the same crappy experience.

Keystone should demand better of its dealers.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Having a "local" dealer, one hour away really isn't a "local dealer" but is much more convenient than buying 3+ hours away. That especially holds true when you need service and it's an all day trip just to get it there and another all day trip to bring it home. When you think about the expense to even go pick it up the first time, much of the $700 savings will already be spent just in the trip. ( a day off work, fuel for a 200 mile round trip, food and possibly lodging)

I'd buy locally if possible for all the reasons previously stated. You will most likely regret buying so far from home if anything significant happens and you need service.

You may also want to shop around and see if dealers even closer to your home may compete for your business.

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Bob Landry

$700 spread over the term of your loan is going to have a negligible impact on the monthly note, but could have a major impact on the relationship you have with the nearest dealer, considering you have already talked to him about the trailer. Sometimes the economic impact of building a business relationship is less that you would think, especially if you were to need service on a short notice to save a trip.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
azlee56

ask him to go down 700.00? I agree the fuel savings would be worth it closer to home.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

3-1/2 hours away isn't 3-1/2 hours...

It's 7 hours each time.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
wbatto

Weigh it all out

The first time we purchased a camper we found one locally we liked. The next thing I always do is go to the web and start Googling. We came within $200.00 of the same unit, when I told the local dealer we found a unit 2 HRs away and asked if he would match or beat that price the answer was no. The reason was he could provide great service and would treat us like loyal customers if we ever had to bring it back for a problem. Turns out two months later we would put his word to the test. We were on vacation and the main 12 volt hot lead was between the frame and the floor joist. Needless to say no 12 volt power would work in the entire camper as it rubbed through and caused a dead short. we were only 45 mins away and they would not make a service call. Even worse this happened in early June and if I packed up and brought the unit back to them, it couldn't be looked at until late August!!!!!!!!!! I ended up repairing it myself and Keystone reimbursed me three years later when I found out about a recall on the unit. My advise is to get the unit where you will get the best service after the purchase. Ask If you bring it back can thay fix it in a timely manor, ask around and see what quality of work they do. I wish you luck and am sure you will enjoy your new camper.
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
fla-gypsy

I am fortunate that there are many dealers close by to me and I have good choices. Definitely go where you will get treated right. Price is not everything!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
blackhound1

In the same boat

I'm in the same decision making boat right now. Buying local or going to Jacksonville, 4 1/2 hours away, but mine is for a $1500 difference. That's a big difference. I talked to my local dealer service department and pretended that I had a Keystone that I purchased in Northern Alabama and asked would they warranty service it since I didn't purchase from them. They said they don't play that way and they have no problem doing warranty work.
blackhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhound1 View Post
I'm in the same decision making boat right now. Buying local or going to Jacksonville, 4 1/2 hours away, but mine is for a $1500 difference. That's a big difference. I talked to my local dealer service department and pretended that I had a Keystone that I purchased in Northern Alabama and asked would they warranty service it since I didn't purchase from them. They said they don't play that way and they have no problem doing warranty work.
You should have taken it a bit further and tried to make a warranty fix appointment. Sure they might fix it but they will tell you that either you have to pay up front or they can not get you in until September. But I could be wrong and this shop could be one of the few that is worth a lick. The choice is up to you. I could have got my tt for 3000$ less if I would have traveled up north. I made my choice and stayed local.

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
jsmith948

Interesting thread. From what I have read, I don't know if it matters where you buy. The DW and I went to the Pomona RV show in 2011 and walked into a really great (in our opinion) deal. We were concerned about the 4 hr drive to the dealer for warranty work, but, we only needed warranty work one time.
Our local Keystone dealer does not have the best reputation for service work.
We do have a local RV repair company that does not sell RVs. All they do is repair and service. I will give them a shot if there is something that I can't repair.
Unless you plan on running back to the dealer with every loose screw, I would buy where ever you can get the best price. JMHO - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
chris199

I would appeal to the local dealer and tell them the scenario. See what they say. If they say no.....then counter with something like let's split the difference.

Bottom line: I would buy local and establish the relationship.....assuming the local dealer's reputation is good. If their reputation is bad...I would buy from someone else.

Just my 2 cents.....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
campingcpl

We are looking at purchasing a new 5th wheel and we have a local dealer for the brand we are looking at but we still went to a dealer that is about 2 hours away. The local dealer is the same dealer we got our Sprinter from and I wasn't overly happy with this dealer or the service we have gotten so we are probably going to do buisness with the out of town dealer for this reason. I'd say do buisness with the dealer that will give you the best service and you feel comfortable dealing with even if it is a little farther of a drive.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
apr67

All things being equal buy local.

However all things are never equal are they.

For $700 for a 3.5 hour trip vs a 1 hour trip, all other things being equal I would buy local.

Local dealers service sucks and remote dealers service is better? Then I would buy from the other guy.

When the fit hits the shan the $700 will be meaningless.
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Scorn

Went with the Local Dealer

The local dealer has been in business for over 50 years and has a great reputation. It's been fmaily owned for 3 generations and they came down to $200 differnce so I went with them. Top 50 Dealer Award

The salesman was very nice over the phone and stated he wasn't making very much on the deal competing with the Wholesalers of the world.

But I feel more assured that it was a good move. I do feel sorry for the other dealer as the salesman was the one who told me about the Bullet's new model, the 241BHS.

I am every excited and look forward to some great camping with the wife and grandkids.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
billb800si

I always negotiate price. To start with 30% off of MSRP is mandatory. I usually get three quotes from dealers within a reasonable distance. I do the research in regard to customer service. You will find some dealers have a policy that after the sale the salesperson is NOT the one you complain to about lousy service, it's the service department.
If a dealer told me he would refuse to do warranty work if I bought elsewhere then that dealer would never get my business. That's not the way to deal with the public.
If possible go back to you local dealer and talk with the sales manager (they are the ones who ALWAYS okay a deal) and tell him you're ready to buy if they will match the price. Be polite but firm
Good luck,
Bill B. (Michigan)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
bjbatman

Buying local

I would have loved to buy local but prices in Alaska are very high. Picking up a Fuzion 342 in the lower 48 in 15 days and the savings are well worth the drive.
bjbatman is offline   Reply With Quote