Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
raytronx

Lightbulb Waste Tank Valve Replacement Keystone Cougar 276RLS

Thought this may be useful to any forum members with the same tank valve arrangement.

My black valve cracked and needed changing but wasn't as simple as I had imagined. There was literally no clearance to install the valves properly. I had to modify things.

My Youtube Video detailing the replacement

You can read the full blog posting here.

Hope this helps someone,
Cheers Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
therink

Thanks for the tip.
I recently had to repair my black tank valve with a similar set up to yours. The only difference was that I did not have enough space between the valves and the Y fitting to install a 3" rubber coupler. I ended up using two lengths of 2 x 4 cut to about 1" longer than the width between the tanks and wedging the 2 x 4s up between the tanks on either side of the valves to literally push/flex the tank walls in enough to get the valve flange lips to separate and to lock into place. As you know this is hard considering you have to keep the rubber seals seated at the same time.
This worked well as I was able to get the entire Y fitting with the valves attached (as one single piece) into place within a few tries.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I recently had to repair my black tank valve with a similar set up to yours. The only difference was that I did not have enough space between the valves and the Y fitting to install a 3" rubber coupler. I ended up using two lengths of 2 x 4 cut to about 1" longer than the width between the tanks and wedging the 2 x 4s up between the tanks on either side of the valves to literally push/flex the tank walls in enough to get the valve flange lips to separate and to lock into place. As you know this is hard considering you have to keep the rubber seals seated at the same time.
This worked well as I was able to get the entire Y fitting with the valves attached (as one single piece) into place within a few tries.
I bet you were holding your breath hoping not to hear a cracking sound.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
therink

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
I bet you were holding your breath hoping not to hear a cracking sound.
You bet I was, but the only other choice would have been to replace entire Y fitting, nipples and drain pipe. The tank walls actually had plenty of flexibility. It worked out better than I thought.

Oh yeah, the reason I had to repair the valve was that a baby wipe became lodged into the valve seat not allowing the valve to close all the way. We had a "no baby wipe in the potty" rule but my 9yo DD must have forgotten.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
waste valve 276rls cougar