Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Semiretired

Cougar vs Laredo

We have been looking at some of the shorter box Cougars, but online I have noticed that for our purposes there are some Laredo floorplans that look down right interesting. We do not have any local Laredo dealers and I would have to take an afternoon drive to see one in person, but if any of you great folks have any experience between the two manufacturers I would appreciate it...

Mostly I am interested in quality, workmanship and standing behind the warranty... I know they are both Keystone, but are manufactured separately and I do not know about the warranty aspects - whether it comes through Keystone or what.
Semiretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
davidjsimons

I can only attest to my own unit. I have a 2013 Cougar 28RBS. So far, I love it. To say that the build quality is any better than the Laredo would not be honest. I can not answer that question. All I can tell you is that I am completely satisfied with my unit. My advice is to buy the one with the best floor plan to fit your wants and needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
tdawg

i have had 2 Laredo's and loved them both
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
schwalbach

Laredo 275sbh bunkhouse, works good for us.

Quality has been so so but dealer has fixed the little things, had water leak, new panel, sliding door pulled from wall, fixed myself with inserts for screws, same with one window blind. water pump noisy, needed insulating, other small mods I found on here to tweak the unit.

I was spoiled with a Triple E we had bought used, was a top of the line in 1992-so downgraded on quality but also wanted a lighter unit.

I can provide pictures if you like.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
Semiretired

Thanks for the replies. We have looked at a lot of models in person and on the net. With all the perusing I have done on this forum and on other parts of the net - I am leaning towards a slightly used unit. We are very flexible with the floorplans - prefer RK for the counter space, but not mandatory - prefer private Bath and at least a wardrobe slide, but these are just now becoming common. Since I only have a F250 - I have to watch the pin weight...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
iamrwnut

The wife and I decided on specific floor plans within our weight and cost limits and decided on our new to us 2008 Laredo 311RL. For us, floor plan was more important than whether it was a Cougar, Laredo, Passport etc. These are all within the "same quality" grouping. We have been very happy with our trailer to date. It has pulled true behind us, everything works (black tank level indicator exception) and we love the layout. Personally, I could not be more happy with our decision on the Laredo but I believe if it was a Cougar we purchased with the layout we have, we would be just as happy.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Charli

I have been looking at some of the new floor plans with a view to upsize in a few years. I suspect the cougar and Laredo have similar build qualities with the Laredo having upgraded features. After a couple years of use the couch and chairs on the cougar are pretty low grade quality. The Laredo seems to have higher end fabric/leather and look to be more comfortable and durable. King bed vs queen in the cougar although this isn't that big a deal for us. A big deal is the double door fridge on the Laredo. Wish the website had the cu ft measurement. Love the larger showers in the new models. Downside with the Laredo is the pin wt. They push the limits of our truck. That may limit my choice to either the cougar or wildcat.
Happy shopping
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Semiretired -
As you have already pointed out, both the Laredo and Cougar are Keystone products and; as such, have exactly the same warranty. In fact, all of the Keystone makes and models have the identical, standard 1 year warranty.

While there may be some very minor differences in the quality of the furnishings and/or appliances, there are more similarities than differences. The build quality and workmanship would be the same. Keystone doesn't put any more time and effort on the assembly line into one model more than any other. Laredos aren't any better built than a Cougar IMO.

A model with a leather couch or chair doesn't get any more attention than one with a fabric chair. The differences are found in the type of appliances, furnishings and fixtures - not in the way they are installed. Some units have more "features and creature comforts" than others but the overall build quality is pretty much the same.

They all roll off an assembly line in large quantities.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
I have been looking at some of the new floor plans with a view to upsize in a few years. I suspect the cougar and Laredo have similar build qualities with the Laredo having upgraded features. After a couple years of use the couch and chairs on the cougar are pretty low grade quality. The Laredo seems to have higher end fabric/leather and look to be more comfortable and durable. King bed vs queen in the cougar although this isn't that big a deal for us. A big deal is the double door fridge on the Laredo. Wish the website had the cu ft measurement. Love the larger showers in the new models. Downside with the Laredo is the pin wt. They push the limits of our truck. That may limit my choice to either the cougar or wildcat.
Happy shopping
Both Dometic and Norcold produce 12 CuFt side by side refrigerators for RV use. Most of the Keystone RV's manufactured currently use Dometic products, however there may be exceptions. At any rate, both the competing models are 12 CuFt in size. One thing to keep in mind is the very expensive replacement cost ($2700) should anything happen. Also, there is a "caveate" in the Dometic 3 year warranty that few people realize. In order to keep the warranty in effect past 12 months from sale, the owner must have the refrigerator serviced at an authroized Dometic repair facility. The cost of that "service" is about $100. You may be required to provide proof of the annual inspection/service if anything should happen. On a replacement that costly, I'd bet Dometic won't honor the refrigerator warranty 2 years out if you don't have that documented proof on hand. As said before, the large print "giveth" and the small print "taketh away" This one is tucked away in the warranty in the 6th paragraph, usually skipped over by a new owner.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Semiretired

We have been around campers most of our lives and I have pulled TT on and off for several years. This is one of the reasons that we are looking for a fifth wheel and also why we want a shorter unit.

I guess what we are looking for is a nice weekender. We sometimes go off for weeks at a time, but most of the places we go - the camper is for stopping buy to eat and or sleep and that is about it. We are out and about all day - fishing, enjoying the sunset or what ever. A small 20 ft TT would be enough, but for towing a 26 ft FW is about the same when it comes to overall length of what you are pulling down the road... Having the extra room will be nice and why not...