Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #81
jasin1

I watched the “big truck big rv” Andersen video and they have an in bed camera ..it looks like it would be less stress on the frame because it articulates ..but what do I know
Old 04-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #82
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The B&W 5th wheel hitch uses a standard pin box and plate; it is not a gooseneck adapter...

Also, the word BALL is not found in the memo...
Agree with Javi, and I do use the B&W Companion hitch for my 5th wheel....it is NOT a gooseneck though so really doesn't belong in this conversation and based on this thread the B&W Companion is fine to use from the perspective of Lippert and Keystone.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #83
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I had previously posted that I sent LCI an inquiry. I received their response today. Initially it said they would respond in 24 hours which they didn't. After a 2nd prompt I received the below;

Customer Service <[email protected]>
Thu 3/25/2021 9:01 AM
Danny,

Thank you for reaching out. We would advise against any adapters or extensions to be used on our pinboxes. The use of these can cause damage to the upper deck that Lippert would not be able to assist in. We do endorse the Reese Goosebox, and if you have a Rhino style pinbox, we also have the Gooseneck Connect available.

I hope this is helpful information. Thank you for reaching out!

Lippert Care Center Axle/Chassis Tech
w: 432-LIPPERT (432-547-7378) | f: 574.534.7161

I consider the answer above a non answer. I have resubmitted my inquiry asking for further clarification of what Lippert considers an "extension" or an "adapter". If literally interpreted the B&W Companion, which used the goose ball hole (adapts) and any number of other available hitches would not be covered. As I have pointed out to them, the lack of clarity places new owners, potential buyers and dealers in an unneeded predicament. At the moment those folks want to choose what would work best for them and their particular situation then "guess" at what the wording may or may not mean. Unfortunately some very well could find out in 10 mos. when the frame cracks that their "guess" (crystal ball) didn't interpret Lippert's vague rules correctly. Notice that the only 2 options listed are Lippert and Reese products. At the moment, if interpreted literally, the only hitch options would be the 2 listed or a regular 5th wheel hitch attached through the frame. All the rest "adapt" in some way.

As an aside, which only makes the situation more murky IMO, is the fact that many failures are of the side wall which Keystone makes. If it fails was the failure due to inferior wall construction/defect or Lippert frame flex? How many fingers can point how many directions in those kinds of situations and who is left holding the bag?

I'll post back with any additional responses. I doubt they will clarify because to do so is going to alienate some manufacturers and owners....so they won't Vagueness and ambiguity is their friend.
...wrong these replies by Lippert are about Gooseneck Style Adapters......which B&W Companion is not.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #84
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSisemoreTX View Post
...wrong these replies by Lippert are about Gooseneck Style Adapters......which B&W Companion is not.

As I've explained previously, in effect, literally, the Companion attaches to a "goose ball" not a standard 5th wheel mount. This is an "adaptation" of a goose ball type mount and in effect literally "extends" the goose ball connection up to the kingpin. Until they gave some clarification that specifically stated adaptations to the pinbox, which the Companion doesn't require, an adapter could have been anything. Here is an excerpt from the original Keystone memo;

" Before Keystone would consider covering under its limited warranty any damage to a fifth wheel caused by or associated with a goose neck adapter, the adapter would need to have been approved by Keystone. Otherwise, the “unauthorized” attachment, in this case the goose neck adapter, would cause an exclusion from warranty coverage.

There are various brands of goose neck adapters in the industry, none of which have ever been “authorized” or “approved for use” by Keystone, except for the Reese Goose Box and the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Goose Neck Adapter."

The above could be interpreted in any way by a party that wanted it to read whatever might be in their interest. With the clarification of what it meant and identifying that the adaptation they were talking about was specifically to the pinbox, it then eliminated hitches like the Companion, Demco Recon etc.

In situations like this I like to KNOW what is being talked about other than assuming or making my own interpretation of vague terms. As one of the Lippert respondents said, "yes, we know it is confusing". Yep, and there's a reason for that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #85
kckettridge

[COLOR="red"]"If you don't use those use rail attachments. I would never dream of just tightening the hitch down on the ball in the bed then wait to "see what happens"."
[COLOR="Red" I don't use the rail attachments; just the goose ball in the center of the bed and attach the Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch according to Andersen's instructions. I also check the torque before I hitch up every time to make sure nothing has loosened up.
kckettridge is offline   Reply With Quote