Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
Desire:TheCabana

Red face Soft floor, wondering where to start

Hey all!

Last summer, my wife and I purchased a 2001 Keystone Cabana that was in decent shape. The floor was a little soft but nothing too alarming in 2 spots, right inside the door and under the dinette table. We got to work cleaning the camper, which we decided to name Desire (since she was a little dirty and needed some work) and once she got back on her feet and cleaned up, she would be Lola (cue the Barry Manilow tunes).

Fast forward a week of cleaning and we noticed that the previous owner just placed down a layer of plywood on top of the previous floor when putting down new flooring stick on tiles. Not a big deal, kind of curious why he did that but to each their own. We finished cleaning and decided to get the camper smell out using some dry rid and a dehumidifier, and it just so happens, that the flooring he covered up must have been nice and waterlogged because once the moisture was removed, our flooring really sagged and there are a couple spots it creaks and cracks.

As winter begin to roll in, I decided to put her away and store her for the winter and will be getting her out this weekend. We have a cross country camping trip planned for June and I need Lola to be safe for my toddler daughter.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start to work on her?
Desire:TheCabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

It’s unfortunate that the previous owner decided to hide things, but all is not lost.

I would start by removing his “repair” and then access the damage. Post pics when you get a chance and I’m sure the members here can have her ready to rock and roll by the time you leave.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
mikz86ta

As already said, I would start by removing what was repaired an look for the source.
And if the water spots are near an outside wall or slide, I would look at slide seals and roof to begin with
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor