Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Smitty

Mattress Upgrade question

DeanRV,
What type of mattress upgrade did you do. Our's came with the comfort queen but we do not like it. We have been looking at new mattresses but are concerned that the thickness will make it too high into the slide section. My wife always sleeps on the left, and in that model, you need a small ladder to get into the bed. My winter project is making her a box that will secure to the floor that will be the same level as the step-up inside the bedroom. She says she gets a wedgee everytime she slide out of bed. LOL. My problem is that I hit my head on the upper part of the slide when I sit up, so I have to be carefull when getting in and out of bed. I looked at a pillow top mattress but it is almost 13" thick whereas our measures about 9" thick. Is your upgrade thicker than the factory installed mattress? I really like the idea of the slide topper's too. How do they work and what brand did you get?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
RdRmr

Upgraded ours to a sleep number mattress, is a bit taller but not much. Have bumped my head a few times also on the edge of the slide ceiling.
Works for us. Mounted the air pump under the head of the bed. Took a little over an hour but everything is hidden.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
deanrw

We upgrade to the sleep Number RV Mattress. It was more than I really wanted to pay to upgrade, but so far its been worth it. (only used the trailer once this year now since we got it, but for about a week. It is alittle higher than the other one is. I am tall and my wife is shorter , So it does make it hard to get into bed on that side if your fairly short.
I do the same as you, wake up and hit my head on the slide every dang time I got up on this trip. I may learn after using it more, I hope.... Almost knocked my self out , wife burnt the toast and I handnt woke up yet, smoke alarm went off, and well being a new trailer, it really awoke me in a hurry, that one hurt.
As for the slide toppers, I am not sure of the brand of them, I think they are A&E though. They worked great this trip. With all the leaves falling off the trees sure kept the slide clean and leaf free. No problems when the slides go in and out either. I think they were a great purchase.
deanrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Smitty

Thanks deanrv. I'm not real tall 5'11" but have managed to hit my head a few times too. I'm learning the dip and twirl now to get out of bed. Winterizing the trailer last week, I was walking under the nose and didn't dip far enough and hit the edge so hard, I landed right on my as_. Had a lump the size of an egg. At least one thing for sure, these RV's sure can knock some sense into you. The trailer just went into storage so I can't get into it but In the spring I'm going to check out the box frame under the bed and see if it can be cut down. I've had the plywood off already as my bedroom slide had quit working and the motor wires were exposed and all wrapped together so I had to recap them and retape. That's in another post that I made. Anyway, if I can even cut the frame down a couple of inches that would make up for the difference in a higher/thicker mattress. Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
Jim W

In our first 5er (bought used) the previous owners had upgraded to a memory foam mattress. We have never slept better with this style of mattress and it was only four inches thick. The biggest issue was trying to find sheets to fit this mattress.
We now have a pillow top mattress in our 318SAB Cougar and this is very similar to the mattress at home. My DW likes this because the sheets can be interchanged with the ones from home if needed. She can also find sheets at the local stores to fit this mattress than buying special sheets for the memory foam mattress.
I also required the dealer to install the slide toppers for free in order to close the sale on the 318SAB Cougar when we bought it. Our first 5er had them on and I wanted them on this one also. The dealer installed Dometic slide toppers since this was what is sells.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Smitty

JimW, Is your new mattress thicker than the stock one that came with your Cougar. If so, does your fiver also have the smaller slide like the 327? I imagine most of them are similar. Being that the nose is not real high on our trailer, it makes the slide height narrower. How is your head clearance on yours with the new mattress installed?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
ktmracer

we upgraded ours to a paramount pillowtop. Just got back from a 3 week trip and boy what an improvement over the OEM mattress. Put it on par with our home mattress, very comfortable. CW had them on sale just before we left.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
JimW, Is your new mattress thicker than the stock one that came with your Cougar. If so, does your fiver also have the smaller slide like the 327? I imagine most of them are similar. Being that the nose is not real high on our trailer, it makes the slide height narrower. How is your head clearance on yours with the new mattress installed?
Smitty,
The pillow top mattress was standard with our 318SAB Cougar (at least the dealer ordered the camper this way). The mattress is the same thickness as our Sealy pillow top mattress at home. The only thing missing is there is no box spring, has you have at home.
I am 6'0" tall and I have had no issue with getting out of the bed. I have between two and three feet of clearance with the ceiling. I tend to sleep on my side on the left hand side, if facing the escape window. So I do not sit up straight as I tend to get out of bed. I tend to roll out bed lowering my legs and then sit-up at the same time. So when I am sitting up straight now I have cleared the ceiling by then.
Make any sense?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
mhs4771

We went with the Sleep Number. Originally thought the OEM mattress was quite comfortable until we spent 3 months on it. We're planning on upgrading the house mattress to a Sleep Number when we return in the spring. As for bumping heads, guess we're lucky, I think the Montana line has more head room. Was a requirement of ours to have plenty of head room in the bedroom, but we do have to be careful of low clearances as we a little of 13 feet with the front AC.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
eds451

Our Cougar came with a 4 inch thick foam (I would not call it a)mattress. Also it was a 74 inch "trailer queen". I am 6'2" and need a real queen at least. I bought a Sealy mattress and extended the wood base an additional 6 inches to support the full 80 inches. I see now many trailers are coming with true queens. My friend saw what I did and went out and bought a real mattress for his 2002 5er. His DW is still thanking me.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
W5WI

We left the stock mattress in our 326MKS and bought a 1 1/2 inch thick theropedic mattress pad at Sam's Club. This doesn't raise the mattress too high and provides heavenly sleep and excellent support. Cost was less than $120.!!!!!
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Charli

We just purchased our Cougar this summer and find the mattress lacking in support. In previous trailer we had a foam mattress made and we could customize the depth. I think we had 7" of medium density foam topped with 3-4" of memory foam. Its a simialr mattress to what we have at home and found it very comfortable. Added bonus of a foam mattress is when one preson gets out of bed there is no motion transfer to the other side of the bed. We will replace the stock mattress with a foam mattress in the spring.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Smitty

I've heard that the memory foam is really nice. There is a local mattress factory that makes Restonic mattresses. I am going to check with them to see what type of custom mattress they can build. My fifth wheel just went into storage for the winter so it looks like another spring project in the future, yay
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
dksd39

some very interesting reading...my new 260FL is in need of some mattress help...much to my surprise since my 2000 Forrest River truck camper has a far more comfortable mattress and I wish it was the same size but since its not. I will be making some changes on the new camper. I am a fan of a latex mattress so I will probably go in that direction.
dksd39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
michael

I bought from a company called bed in a box,

The model i purchased is Natural silk elegance 13 " memory foam mattress,

Queen Rv We paid $929.00 included shiping.

We love the the bed. Bedinabox.com

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
chuck&gail

TempFlow makes a great mattress, and will cut it to most any size. Kind of like Temperpedic without the stink and sweatiness. Not cheap though. We love ours.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote