Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
DJ85

Why is there so many bugs

We have been experencing this for quite awhile, just wanted to see if anyone has come up with something to keep it from happening every single night. We notice a large accumalation of small bugs that gather at the top of the camper underneath the awning right above the door every night. They get into the camper when the door is opened. In the morning they have all passed on to a better life and it make a mess when you try and sweep them off leaving bug juice trails all over the side of the camper. I have sparyed in the early evening and all this does is keep them for flying in the camper but I still have a mess in the morning. I know they gather seeking the warm for the night or is there some other kind of problem. We don't leave any outside lights on so that not a problem. We do have a rope light on the ground to light up the area, but I have disconnected that before dark and the only thing I accomplished there was a banged up knee Anybody got any idea's I was also wandering if anybody every used the outside hook up for like a spray hose to maybe clean off the bug juice? Not sure if I would have enough pressure or would just end up messing something up .

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Sorry, can't help. If we aren't outside under it, awning is rolled up, so we never see them. We aren't brave enough to leave awning out and go to sleep. Heard too many horror stories about winds and awnings.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Englishman

Try putting a light on away from the camper this should draw the bugs towards the light and away from your camper. Good luck.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

good luck.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

When you sit outside with even minimal lighting, the body heat, heat from the refrigerator, water heater, etc causes the side of the RV to be warmer and brighter than the surrounding forest. With the awning extended, it forms a "trap" which collects insects as they migrate toward the bright, warm object. Once they hit the fabric of the awning, they tend to stop flying, settle down to explore their new surroundings and the under side of the awning/trailer wall becomes their new home.

How can you stop it? Essentially you can't, but as said earlier, a light away from the awning, turning off inside lights that shine through windows and doors will help. If you're not opposed to chemical control, spraying YardGuard or a similar insect fogger around the RV and under the awning may help to some extent. If you do this, read the label carefully and avoid breathing the fog. Watch your pets as well, they can easily be affected by the chemicals. Citronella candles, Tiki torches with citronella will also help to some extent, but you're still going to have some insects that are persistent.

This past winter was one of the warmest on record in North America. The natural "insect control" caused by freezing temperatures, ice and snow was not as effective as in past years and we started the spring with the insect population that normally is present in late summer. So, as the breeding season continues the number of insects will most likely grow even higher. What you've experienced so far will probably get even worse as the summer continues.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
DJ85

From what I have been reading I am pretty sure I am going to start rolling the awning up at night. This is our first unit with the power awning and it just doesn't seem to be as secure as the manual units do. Once again thanks for the input.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

If you have full hookup a small fan moving the air under the awning will help. We use a box fan on low blowing over our chairs to keep all the little vampires from feasting. It also helps with other bugs that think you have invited them to your trailer too.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
golfpro

I read the post twice, did I miss as to what color your light lens is. it it white of amber? amber seems to attract less bugs. the suggestion of moving the light away from the TT is the best way to keep them away from the TT. Or no light at all
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
richf28

We were told by another camper to spray Listerine mouthwash around your camper on to the grass. So we buy large bottles of it or generic brand at the dollar stores and have a handheld sprayer. Not 100% effective but sure helps quite abit and its safe for the our dogs and other animals too.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
camper 2010

Best of all withe the above suggestion, the bugs don't have bad breath when they bite you.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
DJ85

We do not have any lights on outside the camper other then the white rope that is laying on the ground. I was just asking if everyone has alot of bugs that seem to gather where the awnig and the camper meet at the top. I was just wander if this was a normal occurance and if so has anyone found something to shew them away at night.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up