Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Nankipoo

Satellite Dish Question Will This Work

I have a King Quest Pro dome dish that I use when we go camping. It is hooked to a Directv HR24 receiver. I am getting the standard def, satellite and that's fine with me. I love the setup. The satellite dish on the house is a high definition dish. If I bring the receiver back in the house to hook it up, it takes forever for it to switch between the dishes. Same thing happens when I put it back in the RV. I have got to where I just leave it in the RV. If I don't hook it up every two weeks it loses it programming. I don't like leaving that expensive King dish out in the weather and sitting close to road when we are home. I'm looking at getting an inexpensive round dish to mount on a pole out by the rv to leave hooked up when at home. I have called King twice and they have no idea what round dish to tell me to get so I want have to go through the swapping dish thing. They said theirs uses multi switch. Would one of these dishes work? I've got two of them on hand that were here from back in the old days. I would probably order a new one because I have no idea if they still work. Here's one like I'm thinking about getting if it will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SLFQS6I0&psc=1
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
DocP

Any DirecTV dish will work with the H24 receiver. if you only want SD, you can get an 18" round dish. If you want HD, you will need an Slimline dish with either 3 or 5 LNB. The 18" round dish (SD) you listed will work with the receiver: https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-06020.../dp/B000HRQXQQ
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:38 AM   #3
ChuckS

I’d opt for the HD antenna and if you are mounting to a pole make sure it’s as perfectly plumb as possible else you’ll have issues with the 103 bird...

101 bird is fairly easy to find and get SD channels..

Also eventually...and it’s been talked about for over 2 years now the programming is gonna move off the 101 bird and only be on the 103 bird...when this happens you won’t receive Anthony with that round 18 inch dish

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
Nankipoo

Thanks for both replies. If I get an hd dish I will have to go through the 30 minute set up to swap between dishes. I have an extra hd dish at the house that will work with it. You have to tell the receiver what type dish to look for. My question is will the round dish be plug and play and use the same receiver settings the King dish uses. I've heard about the 101 going away but haven't heard anything lately on when this will happen.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:01 AM   #5
ChuckS

If the receiver setup is correct for the Kingquest Pro then looking at antenna selection setup for the KingPro or 18” round dish (Non HD) you do not have to change antenna configuration settings 8n the receiver...

See attached pics of setup for King Pro and 18” round...

I’m not sure about the power inserter you have inline that is used for the King to provide DC power to it... you might be able to leave the inserter inline and off or maybe on when using the 18” round dish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32DB188F-225E-475A-9D99-E67A8A59ED33.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	30263   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B396898-E8FA-4CD3-B35B-15707CFE2875.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	30264  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If the receiver setup is correct for the Kingquest Pro then looking at antenna selection setup for the KingPro or 18” round dish (Non HD) you do not have to change antenna configuration settings 8n the receiver...

See attached pics of setup for King Pro and 18” round...

I’m not sure about the power inserter you have inline that is used for the King to provide DC power to it... you might be able to leave the inserter inline and off or maybe on when using the 18” round dish
Thanks. I'm going to order one of them dishes and see what happens. If the hurricane wasn't headed up to Tn tomorrow and Sunday, I'd try my old round dish just to see if it would get a signal.

Tags
dish, satellite