Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #21
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Unhappy

We had our Passport in the shop for uneven tire wear. The manufacturer found that both axles were crooked, and would be replaced under warranty.
It took almost two months to get the new axle assemblies to the dealer.

Thank goodness we have our little 12 footer and old Bronco, or we wouldn't have had any summer RV fun this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190815_174228996.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	30135  
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #22
khosier

Bill I have a 2019 Cougar that my front AC fan motor burned up. I tried to get a new motor and that was ridiculous. I ended up having to get a new AC out of Camping World and had it replaced. I have been fighting now with Dometic trying to get some kind of warranty monies for doing it. We live full time in ours and the temperatures were reaching the 105 to 110F during that time frame. Did you have any luck on reimbursement for yours from Dometic?
khosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #23
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
I would like to know if anyone else out there is like me waiting for parts from manufactures to get work done on your RV. I waiting on a mattress and it's going on two months now before I take delivery of my 2020 315 RLS.
Why are you buying a mattress from an RV vendor?
Old 10-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #24
Roscommon48

there are thousands of rvs in the goshen area waiting for a piece or two so they can be shipped.

heck, if it is only the rv mattress get it shipped without the mattress and buy a good mattress for the new RV. this is what we do....rv mattresses suck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #25
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Ours wasn’t a mattress at all. It was just a piece of 4” foam covered with fabric.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #26
Mikelff

We use a 2” memory foam as the mattress (not factory) was a tad too hard. Now it’s just right. Good sleep and no aches or pains. No need for new mattress.... yet. If yours is too soft, probably need a new one.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #27
Lars

Not worth the wait!

I agree with the other replies. Why wait 2 months for a mattress they wouldn't allow in a Turkish prison. We went to a mattress store near us (Sleep Country Canada) and got a special order pillowtop mattress for our new trailer. It was delivered in three days. Your back will thank you, and you will be camping sooner, rather than later.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Just one final thought on "waiting 2 months on a mattress". If you financed the trailer then you may well be on your way to a third monthly payment without use waiting on a mattress that you will in all probability replace anyway.

I'd taken it from your dealer and ask for a credit for the mattress. If that's not possible, buy a mattress and when the OEM one comes in sell it on Craigslist or give it away to a charitable cause. Most any sizeable town will have a shelter for abused women, homeless, whatever that most likely put it to good use.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #29
hitchikerman

Well what really is going on I wanted to stall from taking delivery of the new fifthwheel because we are not going to use it right now and also it gives me more time to save money up plus the manufactures warranty does not start until you take delivery also they are storing it for free
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
Well what really is going on I wanted to stall from taking delivery of the new fifthwheel because we are not going to use it right now and also it gives me more time to save money up plus the manufactures warranty does not start until you take delivery also they are storing it for free
The part in red "depends"... If you've signed the finance documentation, the warranty is active. If you've only put down a deposit and haven't signed the finance documents, then the warranty starts when you "take delivery" (by signing the finance paperwork)... It boils down to how the dealership processed/reported the trailer sale to Keystone.

I got caught up in that "simple exclusion" back in 2009 when we bought a new Polaris RZR. We were in Louisiana, bought the RZR in Michigan, so I just sent the dealer a check for the purchase. He processed it and sent us the registration while the RZR sat in his storage area. That was in September. When we finally got to Michigan in April of the next year, the "factory 6 month warranty" was expired, even though I'd never even seen or touched the RZR.

So, paperwork really, REALLY is important to what/when things start....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #31
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by khosier View Post
Bill I have a 2019 Cougar that my front AC fan motor burned up. I tried to get a new motor and that was ridiculous. I ended up having to get a new AC out of Camping World and had it replaced. I have been fighting now with Dometic trying to get some kind of warranty monies for doing it. We live full time in ours and the temperatures were reaching the 105 to 110F during that time frame. Did you have any luck on reimbursement for yours from Dometic?
I haven't even tried with Dometic any further. Here's the deal - the hot wire burned off of the male spade terminal on top of the compressor (that's downstream from the current overload protector that is right next to the terminal mind you). It's doubtful the overload ever tripped/reset. The other wire terminals were a bit lose, they were snug at best, but not a good and tight electrical connection that it should be. Especially for a high amp motor. I use an EMS so I know park power wasn't an issue. We suspect this was a lose connection all along that created a lot of heat on that common/hot terminal and eventually burned itself off. The burning was evident under the cover that shields the electrical terminals as it was slightly melted under it and a lot of carbon soot. The service center said if they even mention "electrical" to Dometic it's an instant warranty denial. But they would be able to get it replaced under warranty for "other failures." It was at that point I learned they wouldn't be able to do anything until July. We had a trip planned for the 4th so we used a portable a/c that ran perfectly, even in the July heat. After returning home I called them to schedule the repair and they told me it would be months still before anything could be even done.

I decided to test the A/C myself. I cleaned up the connection on the compressor, crimped on a new female spade terminal to clean copper wire, and connected the two with a copper screw-down compression terminal. Fired up the A/C and she blew cold, sounded the same and I figured the A/C was fine. BUT!! Let's remember the burnt off terminal... and then throw in the idea that the terminal had gotten hot enough and arced enough to burn away a portion of the male spade after it had burned off the plastic cover of that terminal. We decided we didn't want that on the roof, above our heads. Working or not. It's probably fine mechanically and now electrically but, it just doesn't look good and it sits in the back of my mind, eating away at me. So I ordered up a new A/C from PPL. (one of the last available they told me, at that time)

When I installed the new A/C the first thing I checked were the electrical connections. They were just ok in my book. I pulled on the common terminal to see how well it grabbed the male spade, and it pulled off easier than I liked. I used a pair of pliers and squeezed the "curled sides" down more to create a tighter connection (for all three and the one on the overload). It was at this point I realized how easy it would be for someone to misalign that female terminal and push it on only catching side of female terminal, leaving only the clear vinyl terminal cover to hold it "against" the male terminal of the compressor. No good connection there. Heat from the compressor would increase with normal use, the vinyl terminal cover would then get very soft allowing that connection to heat up, arc at times from vibration thus generating more heat and eventually fail the way it did. Needless to say, every electrical connection on the new A/C has been checked/corrected.

Sorry for the long-winded response... But I thought you might want to know.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #32
khosier

Thanks for the information Bill. I am still trying with Dometic but just about to give up. I think I did it right with the picture I am trying to attach picture of my motor. Mine got hot somehow might also have been from poorly connected wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old motor burn.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	30201  
khosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #33
jim1

You should take a couple extra sleeping bags and use your 315RLS because there will be other issues for the dealer to look after. (Just saying been there done that) I really think if you're waiting for RV parts on a new unit the time wasted waiting should be added on to your sh@%# warranty. After all you paid for a warranty not a chair in the waiting room
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote