Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
flubyu

Cable driven slide adjustment

Anyone have some good tips on adjusting the cables for my slides?

2011 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
dcg9381

Are yours not adjusted correctly? Any slop in the lines?
Here's the manual: http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ice-manual.pdf

Adjustment starts on page 6.

One think I'd watch out for is to make sure the cables do not rest against the jamb-clamp. Think of the jamb-clamp as the inside aluminum frame, the cables come through a little diamond shape holes. If the cables rest against the aluminum, while you're driving, you've got metal on metal, which is bad for the life of your cables.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
flubyu

when the slide is all the way out there is slack in the cables. Also when I retact my main slide there is a loud pop/bang sound and some times the slide stops about 2/3 the way in and has to be extended again and then comes on in ok. I was told the cables needed to be adjusted. I thought the slide may need lubed but wasn't sure what to lube?

2011 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
gearhead

It might need lube, but jump in the 5th wheel section and read about slides jumping.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
dcg9381

I'll let you read the manual on the lube (don't have an answer off hand).
I can tell you that our cables sit tight (tensioned) in both the out and in positions, so I think you've got something up...
Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
slow

Another tip in addition to using the instructions already brought to your attention by dcg, is to modify a wrench to make adjustment easier.

This is mine:

Hopefully the cable adjustment takes care of your issues.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:07 AM   #7
dcg9381

slow's wrench looks like a "line wrench" - you can buy those without needing to build one..
Old 04-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
slow's wrench looks like a "line wrench" - you can buy those without needing to build one..

I never heard of a line wrench. Where are they available?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
dcg9381

I meant the "round end" - They're available at any auto store or online. Sears has a set. They're used for more "grip" than a standard open in wrench, typically used when removing or installing brake lines. They grip more of the nut/bolt.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
gearhead

They work great on tubing nuts. The almost boxed end won't slip as much as an open end and doesn't round the flats. Mine are Proto.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Tbos

I just read through the entire manual. I'm still confused on how they work. I also have a cable that I think is rubbing horizontally. If I read it correctly I have to adjust the bracket. Seems like I could just push the cable over a small amount and maybe put a spacer of some kind in it. What do you all think?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
craign

Tom,

Our slide suffered a cable breakage last year while on a camping trip. Best guess was that there was sufficient (excess) cable slack that caused the cable/chain connector brackets on the same side to snag each other when their paths crossed. The cable snapped right at the threaded portion. There was enough slack in the parted cable that I was able to use only the eye bolt from a repair kit to put things back in order. At this point, the slide extends and retracts, but I still need to eliminate the excess slack on 4 of the cables. Until the cables are properly tensioned, my wife operates the slide while I stand on a stool and watch the cable/chain brackets to ensure they don't meet again.

Another problem with excess slack in cables is that a chain/cable bracket can catch on the end bell of the motor. This may cause the same problem as when brackets collide with each other. I intend to address the issue of excess slack before we hit the road again.

It might be nice if there was some sort of divider between the cables to prevent snagging of the brackets, but a divider would prevent a person from inspecting the outboard cables for proper tension.

Good luck with your slide.

Regards,
Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by craign View Post
Tom,

Our slide suffered a cable breakage last year while on a camping trip. Best guess was that there was sufficient (excess) cable slack that caused the cable/chain connector brackets on the same side to snag each other when their paths crossed. The cable snapped right at the threaded portion. There was enough slack in the parted cable that I was able to use only the eye bolt from a repair kit to put things back in order. At this point, the slide extends and retracts, but I still need to eliminate the excess slack on 4 of the cables. Until the cables are properly tensioned, my wife operates the slide while I stand on a stool and watch the cable/chain brackets to ensure they don't meet again.

Another problem with excess slack in cables is that a chain/cable bracket can catch on the end bell of the motor. This may cause the same problem as when brackets collide with each other. I intend to address the issue of excess slack before we hit the road again.

It might be nice if there was some sort of divider between the cables to prevent snagging of the brackets, but a divider would prevent a person from inspecting the outboard cables for proper tension.

Good luck with your slide.

Regards,

Craig

Thanks Craig. I know I have to adjust at least one cable when the slide is in It has too much slack. I believe I may have one of my outside cables that needs it too. I wish the videos and other on line help showed all the guys and not just the what we can see.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Amcguire5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Thanks Craig. I know I have to adjust at least one cable when the slide is in It has too much slack. I believe I may have one of my outside cables that needs it too. I wish the videos and other on line help showed all the guys and not just the what we can see.
We had the same problem this weekend; the loud popping sound when trying to let the kitchen slide out. Upon looking noticed not only was there a good bit of slack the cables had actually crossed and were coming off the bottom pulley crooked i.e, crossed. Anyone had this happen and have any DIY solutions?

And, on the home made wrench, is that in place of the tool that is zip tied to the cables on the top of the slide?
Amcguire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I never heard of a line wrench. Where are they available?
rhttps://www.harborfreight.com/sae-double-end-flare-nut-wrench-set-5-pc-68865.html
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote