Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #21
Dave W

[QUOTE=CWtheMan;379397]Our Everest was 38’ and we always requested a site for that size with a FHU. Here are some pictures.

Beaver Dam – Berwick, ME
Timberland Acres – Trenton, ME
Walnut Grove – Alfred, ME

Your Beaver Dam site was the site next to ours (44?). Any RV over about 38 feet anywhere else on a transient/overnight basis is beyond tough to get in. Our 5er is an actual measured 38 feet and a couple inches plus the long turning long bed Ford.

Your Timberland site was a couple rows in while ours backed up to the woods. A couple stays back we stayed in probably the longest site there in about the same area as yours.

Walnut Grove - too long ago and too many CGs since
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #22
CWtheMan

[QUOTE=Dave W;379405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post

Your Beaver Dam site was the site next to ours (44?).
No, we were in #34, a long FHU site. You can see the #35 on the silver birch left of 34 in my picture in the other post.

Trivia: When I was a youngster that pond was an area ice pond that supplied ice for everyone's ice boxes. The ice was cut into long blocks and stored in sawdust during the summer months.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #23
billsr

The 1st year Wife, daughter, and myself went to Maine was in August. Too crowded and no colors either. We did go on a whale watching boat and saw them. Really neat.
Went up to Moosehead Lake to look for Moose and saw quite a few. They are awesome also.
The next several years we went up there, we went in late September or the 2nd & 3rd weeks of October. Not as crowded, but some shops close up in early October.
We stayed close to the coast from "up North to down South". Wife and daughter liked going antique shopping, or shopping in general, and I was alway able to find a brew pub to relax and enjoy myself. Ate lots of Lobstah, Oysters, New England Clam Chowdah, etc., etc..

We always had a good time, except for one year we went out whale watching and the seas were rough. Probably half the boat passengers got sea sick, including my Wife and daughter. Captain pulled the plug and brought us back to the dock oin Bar Harbor. They also refunded us our money for the trip.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

DW and I have been talking about heading "down east" for a few years now. She had an aunt & uncle that lived in Boothbay Harbor. They lived above the VFW hall at the end of the walking bridge that crossed the harbor. Her uncle Free (Freeman) showed us how to use a spinner to fish off the floating pier when the tide was coming in. We would walk a couple of blocks to the dock where the lobsterman would unload their catches. They had lobster tanks outside with seawater flowing thru and you could pick out your lobster and they would steam it while you waited.
Cabbage Island tours had a lobster bake on the Islands beach. Her uncle Free hated the "outsiders" as he was a "Mainiack".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #25
barterry46

Trip to Maine

Camping at Hadley point campground near Acadia would be good choice. Not fancy, family run, close enough to Bar Harbor and entrance to Acadia National park. I hope they are still in business. When we lived in Maine (for 35 years) that is where we camped...even about 3-4 years ago we camped there. At that time there was a place across the road that offered delivered love bster with all the fixings. Best i had ever had.
You will encounter crowds, there in a a shuttle bus to take you along the coastal road in Acadia, saves driving and finding places to park. Downtown BarHarbor has numerous places that serve micro brew beer. Hope you enjoy your trip, have a happy and safe one.
barterry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #26
Mainer

It's a pretty big state

Disclaimer: Never been on a FHU site in Maine, generally can walk to a water tap if needed. I understand they exist, but have never looked for one.

Visitmaine.com, run by the state covers most everything. Visitmaine.net, commercial, has a lot of stuff.

Cruise ships visit Portland and Bar Harbor, makes the tourist area of Portland busy and swamps Bar Harbor, those areas are mostly like any other Cruise Port, just a slightly Maine flavor.

We stay in the park without hookups when we go to Acadia (Bar Harbor). If you visit Acadia in July I would suggest visiting the Quiet Side west of Somes sound for more tranquility, you can do about as much there, but without the crowds. Use the free shuttle if you need to go into Bar Harbor. Use the shuttle for everything, makes one way hikes/bikes easy. SIL & BIL are tour guides there, but are touring West this year for a break.

Around Moosehead you get more of the Maine Woods experience. There is a FHU camground in Abbot south off of Rt 6 less than an hour from the lake. Dumped there years ago when leaving our camp in the 100 mile Wilderness with full tanks, it was a small park then.

If you really want to delve into the Maine Woods there is a park with some FHU sites in Mattawamkeag which is about an hour from the Baxter State Park entrance which may be hard to get into. Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is a little further, but easier to get into. Both are off pavement within and a ways off for KWWNM.

Down east is a whole different flavor.

Black flies should be gone and mosquitoes might have left in July.

Welcome to Vacation Land.

Enjoy,
---stan
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #27
SummitPond

A hat for a MAINEiac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8390 2019-09-15 Maineiac hat.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	25331  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #28
kksfish

Well you guys have certainly given me a lot to think about! I thinkI will plan on a shorter travel time in order to spend more time actually in Maine...

Thanks everyone for the info and reviews of campgrounds!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
Well you guys have certainly given me a lot to think about! I thinkI will plan on a shorter travel time in order to spend more time actually in Maine...

Thanks everyone for the info and reviews of campgrounds!
Here is a glimpse at our whale watching adventure.

As a youngster I spent many long days aboard lobster boats out of Kennebunkport. So in my youth I had seen Humpbacks up much closer than the one in this picture. However, it was Linda’s (my wife) first trip off the coast of Maine and we had an ideal day for it with just the normal ground swells for her to deal with.

In the whale picture I just missed its surface blow but you can see the mist from it in its wake.

Our guide had a PhD in marine biology and had been following the Humpback migration for seven years. She had loose leaf three ring folders full of their pictures and could name every one that surfaced.

Name:	Bar Harbor & Whale Watching (9).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	25363

Name:	Bar Harbor & Whale Watching (10).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	25364

Name:	Bar Harbor & Whale Watching (28).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	25365

Name:	Bar Harbor & Whale Watching (32).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	25366
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #30
oldnjrver

We stayed at the Bar Harbor campground, last September.. It was only a few miles outside of the city.. Very nice, clean and reasonably priced.. They had a shuttle bus that would take you into the city if you liked.. Take the bus tour up to Cadillac mountain. The tour guide/bus drivers are a Hoot!!!

Just check the prices if you decide to stop in town for lunch.. I went into one bar (don't remember the name) that sold tickets for the tour bus and ordered a JW Black on the rocks while waiting for my wife to finish her shopping tour and it cost me $17.00!!!
Needless to say, we didn't have lunch there and found some good food at more reasonable prices nearby..

Safe and happy travels..
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:03 AM   #31
kksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnjrver View Post
We stayed at the Bar Harbor campground, last September.. It was only a few miles outside of the city.. Very nice, clean and reasonably priced.. They had a shuttle bus that would take you into the city if you liked.. Take the bus tour up to Cadillac mountain. The tour guide/bus drivers are a Hoot!!!

Just check the prices if you decide to stop in town for lunch.. I went into one bar (don't remember the name) that sold tickets for the tour bus and ordered a JW Black on the rocks while waiting for my wife to finish her shopping tour and it cost me $17.00!!!
Needless to say, we didn't have lunch there and found some good food at more reasonable prices nearby..

Safe and happy travels..

Wow! That must have been a heck of a good drink! Fortunately you enjoyed it prior to getting the check....right?