Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
jsmith948

Tombstone

Sometimes, there seems to be way more negative posts/comments/reviews than positive. I catch myself being more willing to criticize than compliment

We are currently visiting Tombstone, AZ. We're staying at the Tombstone RV Park located about a mile north of town. This is an older park that is being upgraded by the current owners. The entire park is paved with 3/4 crushed rock (we are in the desert, after all). The sites are roomy - some wider than others, but still roomy. There is a rail fence separating all of the sites which tends to make for good neighbors and discourages the cross lot youngsters (and oldsters) from parading through your site on the way to the laundry.

The folks working here are simply great. They have a really complete store with all the usual RV needs. There is no cable and the OA t.v. is non-existent - but the CG office has a good selection of DVDs to loan out - no charge!

Tombstone is a really neat spot. I read some negative reviews about how everything costs money. Well, nobody works for free and it was worth the small price of admission to the different events/attractions - at least in my view.

BTW - here in the Arizona desert, we woke up this morning to 21 deg. F with beautiful clear, blue skies. The Dinosaur Electronics replacement control board on our Dometic furnace is working just fine (touch wood). Propane just switched over last night - 8 days on one tank is okay. Life is good

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Sometimes, there seems to be way more negative posts/comments/reviews than positive. I catch myself being more willing to criticize than compliment

We are currently visiting Tombstone, AZ. We're staying at the Tombstone RV Park located about a mile north of town. This is an older park that is being upgraded by the current owners. The entire park is paved with 3/4 crushed rock (we are in the desert, after all). The sites are roomy - some wider than others, but still roomy. There is a rail fence separating all of the sites which tends to make for good neighbors and discourages the cross lot youngsters (and oldsters) from parading through your site on the way to the laundry.

The folks working here are simply great. They have a really complete store with all the usual RV needs. There is no cable and the OA t.v. is non-existent - but the CG office has a good selection of DVDs to loan out - no charge!

Tombstone is a really neat spot. I read some negative reviews about how everything costs money. Well, nobody works for free and it was worth the small price of admission to the different events/attractions - at least in my view.

BTW - here in the Arizona desert, we woke up this morning to 21 deg. F with beautiful clear, blue skies. The Dinosaur Electronics replacement control board on our Dometic furnace is working just fine (touch wood). Propane just switched over last night - 8 days on one tank is okay. Life is good
. Tombstone is like any other tourist attractions money in hand you can go to a lot of museums. We stay at the stampede 2 blocks from downtown it is an old rundown Rv Park the spaces are huge normally empty conveniences everything to us. If I’m remembering right all the museums are $15 to get in and there’s plenty of museums we especially liked the old tombstone mine tour the biggest bang for your buck. Here in Quartzsite it was 41° this morning, I’m thinking of Okeechobee Florida with the highs in the 70s and the lows in the 60s for next year. I would suggest making time for Bisby Arizona an old mining town there are some really neat vineyards in the area but I prefer September where it’s comfortable on the motorcycle .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the post Jack. Been to Tombstone several times and passed by that RV park. We enjoy it there except in the middle of summer...it can be brutally hot. As far as costs; as you said, everyone has to make a living and out there in the middle of nowhere it isn't surprising to me or unfair. We really enjoy walking through boot hill and reading all the sayings on the grave markers....some are hilarious.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
jsmith948

Took the Good Enough Mine tour and then the trolley tour. Our driver was a really funny guy and we had quite the history lesson. Learned that, at its peak, there were 1500 working girls serving 8000 miners. My DW said "That's terrible". I said "That's life".

Warmed up this afternoon.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Snoking

Be sure to drive down to Bisbee. Lots of shops to wonder through and lots of restaurants. We drove over the Sierra Vista also. We stayed at the same RV park. We met a couple at lunch in Tombstone that were staying at Tombstone Monument Guest Ranch and drove out to see it. Looked like a nice/fun(although pricy) place to stay without the RV.

Enjoy, don't stay to long in boot hill!!!!

Chris
Old 01-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Logan X

Thanks for the post. This sounds like a place I will definitely visit in the future.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
AlaskaJeff

Kartchner Caverns

I used to live in Sierra Vista back in the early 70s as a young teenager. This January I stopped by Kartchner Caverns State Park for two nights at $30 per night. What a great spot! Electric and water and a dump station nearby. Quiet, dark, and the caverns are very interesting and seem to be more "natural" then Carlsbad. Tombstone, Sierra Vista, and Benson are not very far away.
AlaskaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote