Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #21
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't get why some folks are so apposed to using the tool that was made specifically for the task. I put the truck's info, the trailer's info into the GPS once and never again unless there's a change in vehicle.

I put the destination the destination in and done! It takes me there, routes me around low bridges, tunnels with LP restrictions, and traffic jams or warns me of traffic ahead. It warns me of traffic/speed cameras, upcoming tolls, state borders, and I can upload "points of interests" so I can easily find fuel, restaurants, roadside attractions, etc.

No phone signal required. No need to plan a route, then copy it to another platform or any other steps. Seems simple enough for my simple mind.

JMHO YMMV
I think the problem is we aren't all using the same word for each tool. When I speak of trip planning, what I mean is:
I enter the destination that will take me several days to get to.
The software then tells me where to stop based on the configuration parameters I set.
My Garmin RV GPS does not do that.
When the planner tells me where to stop I locate a place to stay and put that in the GPS when I leave. Sometimes I enter all the stops at the beginning of the trip and sometimes I enter the next day stop the night before.
I call that exercise trip planning.
Right now I am planning a one year trip using RV Trip Wizard and google maps. I use google maps for quick investigations and google earth to 'look' at boondock sites. The general location I am looking in is determined by RVT and the configuration parameters like only drive 4 hours per day.
Does that help to understand that we are talking a different kind of planning than simply a single point in the gps.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #22
efrulla

Try My RV Notes (https:\\www.MyRVNotes.com) to record your trip information, site reservations and Points of Interest Information among other things. There is a whole equipment section to track equipment associated information as well.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #23
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrulla View Post
Try My RV Notes (https:\\www.MyRVNotes.com) to record your trip information, site reservations and Points of Interest Information among other things. There is a whole equipment section to track equipment associated information as well.
That's a web page therefore requires an internet connection. Why not just use the built in Notes app
Old 12-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #24
efrulla

Take a trip out to the site and take the orientation. There is an iOS app and an Android app that you can install on your mobile devices and then synch the data from the web to any mobile device. You can also mod the data on the mobile device and synch those changes back up to the Web site. Since the data is stored on a database on the mobile device you do not need WIFI or a cellular connection to read the data.

I find it is superior to the standard Note apps in that it reminds me to capture data points that I might forget
Old 12-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
Take a trip out to the site and take the orientation. There is an iOS app and an Android app that you can install on your mobile devices and then synch the data from the web to any mobile device. You can also mod the data on the mobile device and synch those changes back up to the Web site. Since the data is stored on a database on the mobile device you do not need WIFI or a cellular connection to read the data.

I find it is superior to the standard Note apps in that it reminds me to capture data points that I might forget
I don't see what it does. The equipment and clubs is built into RVT. Since I can't do a free trial I don't know what the Trips and Orientation do, but they don't sound useful to me.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #26
efrulla

If you click on the Orientation Option it will explain the entire System for you and walk you through the various Notes that you can take on both the Web site and the Mobile devices.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #27
johnlewis

We have used RV Trip Wizard to plan all our trips. When they joined up with Campground Reviews, it made it easy to look at reviews of campgrounds in the area we planned to stop. The combination makes it easy to determine where we will stay, and make reservations.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #28
sonofcy

Quote:
If you click on the Orientation Option it will explain the entire System for you and walk you through the various Notes that you can take on both the Web site and the Mobile devices.
Ok, I see the idea. My problem is in determining the value of transferring all that information from the several places like RVT, emails and websites into this new app.

While there is certainly an advantage to having a central repository for this information, that has to be weighed against copying the data from the native sources (emails for reservations, or my KOA account, or my GoodSam account etc.
I don't track expenses.
Site and reservation data is handled thru emails and campsite websites. I use Vivaldi and the sessions feature to organize the websites.
I don't do all that much re POI, I either look for google info, brochures at the checkin, visitor centers, state line visitor centers etc.
For $20 I will probably buy it because even if I never use it it's not a big deal. I have wasted a lot more than that on software over the years.
Keep in mind I am a full timer and boondock most of the time so my POI's are out my front door.
I am a retired software guy so if you want a beta tester (I have tested several products) let me know.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #29
sonofcy

I sent you a private message
Old 12-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #30
Hideout Queen

I downloaded on my iPhone RV Life. We are leaving today for a camping trip today, and I'm on my 7 day free trial, so I will review it after arriving. This ap is important to us since the last time we went camping my GPS took us down this rough road and to a one way bridge that had a metal guard at the top of bridge and tore our air conditioning unit and other things off our camper. Fortunately my insurance paid all of the $12,000 minus $200 deductible. This ap asked all information about my 5 wheeler and added the height, weight and width. Hopefully it won't be sending us down any rough scary roads or height restrictivei bridges!
Hideout Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:30 AM   #31
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout Queen View Post
I downloaded on my iPhone RV Life. We are leaving today for a camping trip today, and I'm on my 7 day free trial, so I will review it after arriving. This ap is important to us since the last time we went camping my GPS took us down this rough road and to a one way bridge that had a metal guard at the top of bridge and tore our air conditioning unit and other things off our camper. Fortunately my insurance paid all of the $12,000 minus $200 deductible. This ap asked all information about my 5 wheeler and added the height, weight and width. Hopefully it won't be sending us down any rough scary roads or height restrictivei bridges!
There are special RV GPS units that allow you to enter RV height etc. They will route you correctly. Of course the most common reason for GPS screw ups is the selection of 'shortest distance' instead of 'fastest time'.

Also whenever I am going some place new and off the interstate, I consult the truckers atlas and at the campgrounds I use google earth. Then I walk from the road to the campsite to check for low branches and tight turns.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrtrader View Post
What program are you speaking of?
My Garmin GPS.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #33
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My Garmin GPS.
My Garmin,

I had seen this (I Believe) on a couple of youtube full timer sites. It is specific for RV's as I recall.

Thanks for the reply
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrtrader View Post
My Garmin,

I had seen this (I Believe) on a couple of youtube full timer sites. It is specific for RV's as I recall.

Thanks for the reply
Correct. Load in all the truck and trailer specs. You can add poi's that interest you, it comes with a lot from the factory but you can add things like lighthouses, covered bridges, as well as red light cameras, speed cameras, etc.

You can set it up to alert for poi's within a set distance of your route. I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out but if you go to the Garmin,Tom Tom, Rand McNally or whatever brand's web sites you can get the full descriptions. There are also GPS forums with reviews as well. Let Google help you find the plethora of ionformation that's out there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
Twisties

My 30RLS specs at 11.75' high. But I suppose that when it's attached to the truck it's higher. Maybe 6"? That height my vary over time as fuel and other loads vary. How do you measure your height, and how do you account for variations?
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #36
flrtrader

I measure loaded all holding tanks empty. Normal Basement items on board. In other words where in the highest position your rig might be into when going down the road.
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote