Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
foszoe

Used 5th wheel - Two concerns

Just bought a 2007 FWSAS Copper Canyon.

If the slides don't come out, what tools are necessary to operate them manually? Where is the access located?

If the landing gear motor fails, where can I get a handle to crank them manually? Trailer did not come with one that I can find.
foszoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Second question first: If you do a Google search for this term: "fifth wheel landing gear crank handle" you'll get a number of photos of the crank handle and places to purchase a replacement. You can also get one from almost any RV parts store or RV service/sales store.

First question second: The answer depends on the type of slide that's installed in your RV. If it's an "underfloor slide mechanism" then access will be from under your RV. There may be a "2" hole in the frame rail, through which you insert a crank similar to the landing gear crank (or a drill with an attachment in the chuck) or if the slide is a cable system, the motor would be inside the RV, usually at the top center of the slide. There's usually a "medallion type section" at the center of the top slide fascia that's removeable so you can access the slide motor. There is a 1/4" hex drive/spring device that you insert into a drill and then into a "hex fitting" on the gearbox to activate the cables to pull the slide in or push it out (actually, pull it out as cables aren't rigid).

If the slides don't currently work, you might want to do some research on this forum using the "search" feature on the top black bar. Use terms like, "slide motor" or "slide failure" or similar terms to locate the information. There are a number of threads that explain how to troubleshoot, how to repair and how to deploy/retract your slides, many complete with photos to help explain the maintenance/use of your slides.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
foszoe

Thanks!

I am a pessimist by nature when dealing with anything mechanical

I just figured those would be the worst two things to happen to me while out and about. I know how to change tires and such.

Slides work now. So do the landing gear, but they blew a fuse on our first trip when I plugged it into my truck. Previous owner had a 25A in a 40A slot. I put a 40A and continued on our way. Not having any experience with fifth wheels though, my perception is that mine move really slow and it seems like that motor is really working hard. (have a new battery).

I will order me a crank for the legs since they are standard. I just thought maybe each manufacturer had something different.
foszoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
dadnjesse

Landing gear tends to be slow, they are lifting a lot of weight and are geared like that.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel