Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
major bumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning toward galvanized steel since it's more rugged than aluminum and much cheaper. In terms of thickness I was thinking thinner than 16 gauge, maybe 22 or larger gauge. 22 is 1/32.

Last winter I was thinking of using 2" foam board insulation as a cheap alternative to skirting. Some winter nights here got down to -25 before wind chill. I decided not to because the underbelly is loaded with "stuff" I needed to cut and shape the foam board around. It is a major undertaking. With steel even more so, I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf View Post
I've also considered gluing sheets of foam board insulation to the inside surfaces to help make it more rigid plus adding insulating value and sound reduction. 22 Gauge would be about 240lbs in sheet metal, 26 gauge about 160lbs. Then you have to add cross braces, screws and maybe foam board...another 50-100lbs maybe.

Another thought I had about using a metal is that it does not flex like the cloroplast. Fixing the steel to the frame is making the whole underside stiffer and now less flexible. How would that effect the trailer while transporting it? I can only guess that more of that body flex might be transferred to the side walls and roof.

How about adding a few layers of small hole chicken wire over the cloroplast? Using several layers would/could reduce the hole size even more. It is lite weight, flexible and easier to work with. Does anyone have experience with mice and chicken wire?

HAHA! Revenge time. Mice will chew through electrical wiring, so how about spraying the chicken wire with Tabasco sauce or something like Ghost peppers. I had some mild success doing that with bird seed to keep the squirrels off the feeder. It would need to be reapplied periodically. (birds don't seem to notice the spicy stuff)

There is a product called Deer and Rabbit Chase I can find at Walmart. It was very effective and mainly coyote urine... with out a heavy smell for us anyway. Look into it and see if it effective against mice. Coyotes do hunt mice, voles, moles, etc in winter.

Good luck and let us all know what you decide to do.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #22
HANGAR

I wish you the best of luck on getting rid of those little pests. I'm facing similar issues, but with termites! Very common out here in Southern CA. Somehow, they've got into the plywood in my garage floor. The underside is covered with corruplast, then some type of thick black tarp material covering the wood floor. The top is covered with a thick vinyl type of material (toy hauler garage floor). Every few months I'll notice a pile of wood pellets (termite frass) sitting on the garage floor. They make a small hole through the vinyl floor to kick-out their frass (feces). I spray some termite killer down the hole and then stick a high pressure air line on top of the hole to spread the poison into the wood. It seems to do the trick for a few months, but then they come back with a different hole. I'm not sure what else to do besides having my entire trailer tented/fumigated which is not cheap. Sorry, I'm not trying to high jack your post, just feeling your pain with unwanted guests!
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #23
dke1955

what about these: https://antipestrepeller.com/discounts/cart.php ..also for sale on amazon at:https://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-Ultr...2H873NRG9H6RGB Also, I live in Texas so when it is hot out (which is damn near all the time these days!) the mice like to come in trailer. I keep power cord off the ground. Caulk/seal whatever I can see as a possible entry point. Comet and or rat bait around the tires when the rv is parked. Moth balls in the cabinets and anywhere else I can think of...they don't like moth balls. (either do the wife and I but we put the moth balls in small containers so they are easily gathered up when it is time to head back out). Some of the members at our campground use wire mesh screwed or siliconed to openings (screen does not work...they will go right through it). Hope this helps.
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote