Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
JGriff

First long trip with new 20ft TT

Hi all you very knowledgeable people

I have a new 20 ft Bullet Colt TT that I will be making my first long trip in September. We are going from Vancouver Island down I5 to the bottom of Oregon and then to the coast to make our way back.
I have been camping a few times with it here but only travelling 1 hr away from home.

My question is, is there anything on the TT I should be looking at before we leave on our 10 day trip.

I keep the tire pressure and torque on spec. I guess I am wondering more about bearings and such but there is only 400 miles on the TT.

Are there some things I should be looking at ?

Maybe I should include some things that are on the TT.

A/C , TV, 2 way fridge, dual 12v deep cycle in series, Load Star 205/75R14 tires, one 9 ft slide, power jack

TIA
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Bostongone

If you have two 12 volt batteries installed they are probably hooked up in parallel, neg to neg and pos to pos, not in series as you mention. Minor point but thought I would clarify. As far as what to check you mention the bearings and if you have not pulled your drums to check them and insure that Keystone has properly greased them that would be an item on my list. Then buy one of the infrared spot thermometers to monitor both wheel spindle and tire temperatures.
If you have steel tire stems you could also install a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) on the trailer tires.
Other users will have more ideas!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:20 AM   #3
66joej

Besides what is already posted with such low mileage on the TT I would bring along a torque wrench, extension, socket and tire pressure gauge. Check the wheel torque and pressures at the first few stops.
Have pleasant trip.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:02 AM   #4
ken56

Turn on everything you are going to be using. TV, water heater, refrigerator, check the water pump and system, everything. A new unit needs the shake down and you said you have camped close to home at first which was wise to do. Bearings should not be an issue because the axle mfg. does all that and the trailer builders just install them. It is rare that new axles are improperly lubed and torqued IMO.

Do you have a roadside assistance policy? Do you carry with you basic tools and fasteners for things that may come apart? Do you have a #2 Robertson screwdriver or other bit? You don't need to take a whole repair shop but some basics are necessary.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
JGriff

Bostongone : Thanks for correcting me. You are right, the batteries are in parallel. I will buy an infrared spot temperature gauge.

66joej : I have the torque wrench and accessories. I check my wheels every time I move the TT. Thanks for the reminder.

ken56 : Yup, got the insurance as well as a tool kit. All systems have been checked and work great. Thanks for your input.

I appreciate everyone's response. It always helps.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
Bostongone : Thanks for correcting me. You are right, the batteries are in parallel. I will buy an infrared spot temperature gauge.

66joej : I have the torque wrench and accessories. I check my wheels every time I move the TT. Thanks for the reminder.

ken56 : Yup, got the insurance as well as a tool kit. All systems have been checked and work great. Thanks for your input.

I appreciate everyone's response. It always helps.
If you have aluminum wheels, & some steel wheels, retorquing at every stop is more harmful than helpful. By constantly torqueing you are crushing the beveled hole on the wheel & will eventually break the stud off. To torque the nuts, loosen them a bit, torque them, drive a few hundred miles, then after they've cooled loosen & torque them, then put the wrench away til the wheel has been removed the next time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
JGriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you have aluminum wheels, & some steel wheels, retorquing at every stop is more harmful than helpful. By constantly torqueing you are crushing the beveled hole on the wheel & will eventually break the stud off. To torque the nuts, loosen them a bit, torque them, drive a few hundred miles, then after they've cooled loosen & torque them, then put the wrench away til the wheel has been removed the next time.
Thanks travelin texans.

I know my Keystone manual says at the start of each trip so I concluded that each time I moved the trailer from home and then from camping was two trips.
Your comment makes much more sense.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
Thanks travelin texans.

I know my Keystone manual says at the start of each trip so I concluded that each time I moved the trailer from home and then from camping was two trips.
Your comment makes much more sense.
Yea! Mine had a sticker on the fender that stated "check torque at 25, 50, & 100 miles", I apologize to the manufacturer, but I DID NOT stop & do this, at about 1000 miles I torqued them & done til about 5-6k miles when I packed the bearings & replaced all the brakes due to leaking grease seals.
Just FYI, if you have the EZ lube hubs with the grease fitting on the end of the spindle, do not pump grease into them until you've either confirmed the condition or replaced the factory grease seal. I personally recommend NEVER pump grease into them, but hand pack annually.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-07-2022, 04:53 AM   #9
sju1771

Just purchase a Colt RK. Signed up for AAA for flat tires. :-).
sju1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:59 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Excellent advise. Non steel wheels ie aluminum or alloy.can expand and contract which can loosen lug nuts. Alloy wheels aren't nearly as prone to this as they were in bygone years. A re-tougue after an initial torque with enough movement to get the brakes warmed up and the wheel well seated should be sufficiant. If anyone is concerned I'd recommend a line of "witness" paint on the lut and stud or nut and wheel. Then a mere glance will reveal any movement of the nut.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:40 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sju1771 View Post

You want to do some research into that AAA RV coverage. Carried AAA for years thinking I had some great coverage - not so if you travel anywhere. They operate out of what I would call "regional" areas and what you have in one place may or may not (more like may not) be covered or be the same once you leave your little area. It was of no use to me and I dumped it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #12
hlh1

I have a hand held infrared temperature monitor. What max temps should I be looking for on the tires and on the bearing hub?
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sju1771 View Post

I'd recommend carrying the equipment for the simple task of changing a flat along side the road & any other tools/equipment needed to maintain a rv. There WILL ALWAYS be something to repair/replace with owning a rv. If you're not somewhat of a handyman, or physically unable, with basic knowledge of plumbing, electrical (both 120 & 12 volt) & vehicle maintenance then rv ownership will be a lot of waiting on someone else to fix it or may want to skip owning one. Not trying to be Mr Know it All or a smart a##, just stating the facts of owning rvs from my 45+ years experience with them. Had a fellow a rver liken towing rvs as "a 5.0 earthquake" every time you haul it down the road, so there's always something to fix.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #14
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
I have a hand held infrared temperature monitor. What max temps should I be looking for on the tires and on the bearing hub?
Looking online you'll find 150 range or so for bearings (would guess hubs would be less?) and around 190 for tires...I'm sure that can depend on a lot of factors. I think most important to look for are any wide variances between wheel temps. If I 'shot' the front hub on the driver's side at 120 and the rear at 180, I would get concerned.

Looking forward to more experienced replies.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You want to do some research into that AAA RV coverage. Carried AAA for years thinking I had some great coverage - not so if you travel anywhere. They operate out of what I would call "regional" areas and what you have in one place may or may not (more like may not) be covered or be the same once you leave your little area. It was of no use to me and I dumped it.
I carry AAA Texas Premier RV that they say is good in any region even though it may not be offered by the local region. I've never used it for my RV and hope I never have to. I'm pretty sure conventional AAA coverage would not cover a RV.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I carry AAA Texas Premier RV that they say is good in any region even though it may not be offered by the local region. I've never used it for my RV and hope I never have to. I'm pretty sure conventional AAA coverage would not cover a RV.

Look into all the details of the coverage and then call one of the other affiliates a few states over to see if they have the same coverage. They may have changed their policies since I dropped them (several years ago).

I tried to pull up Premier RV coverage for TX and on their website I could not get it for your or my zipcodes; it appeared it was not offered in TX but it did list all the states I could pull it up in. In TX they still show RV coverage as an add on with their Premier? auto policy IIRC. Also note, even on the Premier RV coverage it has a disclaimer that your policy offerings may not be available in other areas - exactly what I ran into. Trust but verify.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:19 AM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Look into all the details of the coverage and then call one of the other affiliates a few states over to see if they have the same coverage. They may have changed their policies since I dropped them (several years ago).

I tried to pull up Premier RV coverage for TX and on their website I could not get it for your or my zipcodes; it appeared it was not offered in TX but it did list all the states I could pull it up in. In TX they still show RV coverage as an add on with their Premier? auto policy IIRC. Also note, even on the Premier RV coverage it has a disclaimer that your policy offerings may not be available in other areas - exactly what I ran into. Trust but verify.
I've checked in Texas and California and they both say I am covered by my home region. I suspect the answer could vary depending on who you speak to. I trust it will provide RV coverage if I need it but am never sure.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I've checked in Texas and California and they both say I am covered by my home region. I suspect the answer could vary depending on who you speak to. I trust it will provide RV coverage if I need it but am never sure.
It doesn't really matter what the "paperwork says you have for coverage"... If you're in the "middle of nowhere", 300 miles from the nearest "contracted AAA dispatch wrecker service" you won't find them agreeable to sending a wrecker on an all day trip to change your tire.

I've had Ford warranty wrecker service, AAA towing, Montgomery Ward Auto Service, Sears Repair Service, GEICO towing/repair service, Michelin Tire Service, Sam's Road Hazard, COSTCO Road/Tire service and a host of other "we'll come to you and fix your breakdown or tow you to the nearest facility that can repair it"

In EVERY case, if they can't dispatch a tow truck until next Wednesday or if they don't have a wrecker to dispatch, you're on your own to find a way to get moving again. Sometimes you can "file a claim and send in the receipt"... A lot of good that does when you don't have a jack to change the tire, it's 110F in the shade and the cell phone coverage doesn't work....

AAA is "good when it's available" but it's not always "available where you are"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
dutchmensport

The only thing different between a 10 day trip and 1 hour trip is about 239 hours. In other words, take the 10 days, one hour at a time. You'll be fine!

Go, have fun, and just focus on the moment and enjoy it. 239 hours will pass and you'll wonder where it went.

If your trailer is is good shape right now, it will be fine for your trip.