Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Tank Valve Seals and Salad Dressings

Hmmmmm Probably going to get in trouble for this, but....

Olive oil gives versatility. If you find you're out of salad dressing, just add vinegar to your holding tanks and... VOILA!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Ohhhhhhhh, that is bad! And the name for this new dressing would be......? Never mind, it was just a rhetorical question.
Yes, you could get into trouble. Would you like a warning? How about an infraction? Or perhaps a ban? There are numerous options ranging from 1 day to permanently at my disposal.
You didn't, by any chance, fall off your snowmobile and suffer a concussion did you? Too many brewskies after a hard day on the trail?
Glad to have you back.
And just what kind of dressing would you like with your salad, J??
Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hmmmmm Probably going to get in trouble for this, but....

Olive oil gives versatility. If you find you're out of salad dressing, just add vinegar to your holding tanks and... VOILA!!!!!!
Makes me glad I'm a "Meat and potatoes guy." I'll pass on the Organic dressing.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Ohhhhhhhh, that is bad! And the name for this new dressing would be......? Never mind, it was just a rhetorical question.
Yes, you could get into trouble. Would you like a warning? How about an infraction? Or perhaps a ban? There are numerous options ranging from 1 day to a permanently at my disposal.
You didn't, by any chance, fall off your snowmobile and suffer a concussion did you? Too many brewskies after a hard day on the trail?
Glad to have you back.
And just what kind of dressing would you like with your salad, J??
Hey R

Hmmmmm: : Let's see...
WARNING: Don't look into the big hole when pulling the dump valve!!!
INFRACTION: What would probably happen if I were looking into that hole and anyone heard what I said as I pulled the handle!!!
BAN: That's the wrong kind of deodorant to put in the tank, besides, there's no olive oil or coconut oil in Ban!!!

1 DAY: Hopefully, it'll warm up enough to melt all of this white stuff!!!!!
PERMANENT: Only above the 70th Parallel is there enough "Permanent White" to not melt... (Little if any RV'ing there)
DISPOSAL: METHINKS this is what the whole (not the looking hole) thread was about...

The snowmobile trip was WONDERFUL !!! About 70 miles the first day, a great supper and then to bed in a nice motel. The second day was about 60 miles in the morning, then lunch with some of my wife's cousins, then on to Alpena. We were going to stay there the night, but the weather forcast called for warming the next day, so with the only means of transportation being snowmobiles, we didn't want to get stranded in melting snow, so we headed on home, total that day was about 170 miles, so yeah, when we finally got home, I did "FALL OFF" that snowmobile, but nope, no concussion. I suppose you'd have to blame any "infractions" on prolonged seat pressure <wink> (unless I can blame it on an ill fitting helmet?????)

DW had the "luxury" snowmobile, I rode the little sports model, so she pulled the trailer with the cooler full of warm thermos jugs full of hot chocolate and warm apple cider.

That was nearly 250 miles in 2 days on "bumpy motorcycles with skis" bundled up in cold weather gear, but it was really an awsome trip. Lots of wildlife, beautiful Lake Huron scenery, pristine and untouched forests and just enough places to get warm along the way... Sort of like RVing without the fifth wheel <G>

There's an "expedition" annually from the UP to Alaska through the "outback" of Canada.... I wonder if I'd be up for that???? NAHHH My old bones couldn't take sitting that long!!!!!

I think I'll just wait for the spring thaw and go get the fifth wheel and drag it home once we start seeing green around here <G>

It's good to be back, at least "temporarily" <wink>

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Just got a PM (NOT BM) with the following:

What I can't believe is you missing the pun on the tank containing "Grey Poo-pon"!

Hmmmm the "churn" goes on.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Ok, laugh. But next time your wife isn't looking, swipe some of her olive oil and try some on the valves, bet it helps.

Ok, why olive oil. Started with just antifreeze many years ago. Left some on top of toilet seal. Toilet seal stuck come spring. I got it working, but it was worrysome. Asked dealer, he gave me valve lube. Read ingrediants, coconut oil. It did seem to work on toilet and waste tank vales, smoother operation when dewinterizing. Coconuts are a pain to milk, so I tried corn oil. Worked just as good. Did that for years.

In 2010 bought a toyhauler leftover at a good price. Toilet did not hold water, even after sitting with corn oil on top for weeks. Guess I'll need to replace seal, grumble grumble. Asked wife what was a more expensive oil like coconut oil. She said her extra virgin olive oil was very expensive, so I tried it on toilet seal. Problem fixed in a week by letting maybe 1/2 cup sit on top of seal! I now use normal olive oil to lube waste tanks, and toilet, seals. No sense wasting extra virgins. Oh and toilet seal has held water fine ever since. Only a few years so far, but seems to make waste valves easier to operate also.

Trial and error sometimes works.

As far as salads go, I'm too far up the food chain to eat salads. Rabbits eat salads, I eat rabbits.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote