Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I've been using this (NLGI #2 version) for years for everything. Check the high Timken load rating. Available from Amazon.

http://www.texasrefinery.com/assets/...n--chassis.pdf
Impressive numbers, but I don't see anything that tells what thickener is used. Dexter recommends a lithium complex grease and everything on their approved list is a LC grease. I like using the Mystik because it is an LC grease and that is what is most widely used in the market today. That makes it compatible with the OE grease in the ball joints and tie rod ends of my truck, the leaf springs and wheel bearings of all of my trailers, etc....I would like to know what thickener is used in the 880, I'm thinking soap since there is a reference to it on the data sheet.

Here is a sheet for the Mystik JT-6. The number 2 (665005002) is the one I use. Pretty good numbers as well.

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20026.pdf

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #22
Desert185

Good numbers also.

I have too many sparkplugs, and consequently, zerk fittings and wheel bearings. Rather than have multiple greases, I use just one for everything. Texas Refinery was recommended to me by an airplane shop in Alaska a long time ago. Bush aircraft wheel bearings, to include nose and tailwheel bearings, take a beating up there with salt rain, beach landings, mud, gravel runways, etc. This grease resists water intrusion, doesn't displace, doesn't separate oil in higher temps and had a high Timken load rating (100). All this added up to better wheel bearing longevity in their experience. I even lube my RZR's sealed wheel bearings with a special fixture using this grease. With local water crossings and all the normal offroad abuse, the bearings still feel like new.

The initial big test for me was the tailwheel swivel bearing and wheel bearings on my airplane's tailwheel. After years of nasty exposure to the elements there is essentially no wear and no evidence of water intrusion.

I'm not saying Mystic is bad, because it isn't. I'm say Texas Refinery 880 C&C NLGI #2 is excellent for my varied requirements. It's compatible with everything I have, because I do the maintenance and I use the same grease everytime. The key to success, of course, is regular maintenance.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Good numbers also.

I have too many sparkplugs, and consequently, zerk fittings and wheel bearings. Rather than have multiple greases, I use just one for everything. Texas Refinery was recommended to me by an airplane shop in Alaska a long time ago. Bush aircraft wheel bearings, to include nose and tailwheel bearings, take a beating up there with salt rain, beach landings, mud, gravel runways, etc. This grease resists water intrusion, doesn't displace, doesn't separate oil in higher temps and had a high Timken load rating (100). All this added up to better wheel bearing longevity in their experience. I even lube my RZR's sealed wheel bearings with a special fixture using this grease. With local water crossings and all the normal offroad abuse, the bearings still feel like new.

The initial big test for me was the tailwheel swivel bearing and wheel bearings on my airplane's tailwheel. After years of nasty exposure to the elements there is essentially no wear and no evidence of water intrusion.

I'm not saying Mystic is bad, because it isn't. I'm say Texas Refinery 880 C&C NLGI #2 is excellent for my varied requirements. It's compatible with everything I have, because I do the maintenance and I use the same grease everytime. The key to success, of course, is regular maintenance.
Completely agree with everything.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote