Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
srvnt

Mystery Cabinet Space

Does anyone know if this space is hollow (before I open into it)? It is located at the rear passenger side above our big window. Seems odd to waste this space, but I could find a use for it, perhaps a hidden spot for say, whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	5635  

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
KanTC

Probably contains wiring... wires to that double switch & maybe to other O/H lighting & electrical in that vicinity. That cabinet appears to have a false bottom, so I'm guessing there may also be wires running horizontal (between the layers) to lights under the cabinet.

Chances are you'll also find sawdust & maybe wood scraps... and, if you're really lucky, you may find a *mystery surprise* [like forgotten tools] behind that panel.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
f6bits

You've just gotta open it! I've opened all spaces in my trailer. Some of it very interesting…some not.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
spicercars

You could pull the switch out and look. Sometimes there is wasted space in campers. Good luck
Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Bob Landry

It'a only going to contain wiring and construction sawdust. When I pulled the bottom shelf out of the pantry to get to the converter, you would not have believed the mess in that space.

Also, all of the cabinets DO have false bottoms. That's how they conceal the wiring for the lights on the bottom of the cabinet. It's also a convenient place to tie into 12V if you need to for a project.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
204Jordan

Audio Retrofits??

I'm curious to know people's experience(s) with regards to cabinetry. I want to remove the original "stereo" unit in my Springdale 5th. It consists of an AM/FM/CD player that is flush mounted to the cabinet next to the steps leading to the sleeping area. (I say "stereo" because the unit feeds ONE 4" ceiling mounted speaker in the living area and another in the bedroom, both "mono" signals, I believe. Wasn't "stereo" introduced back about 1960?!) The unit measures about 8" sq. The cabinet has two doors below the stereo to hang clothes. There is no clear way in to remove the unit and install my new in-dash car unit with the standard 7.25"W. x 2.25" H. size. (I have assistance lined up to fill in the remaining space on the cabinet's face.) Two questions: does anyone have any idea of how to access and remove the old unit? There are no obvious ways in to the cabinet. Could the top (3' W. x 2' D.?) of the cabinet be easily removed and put back into place? Would Keystone have allowed for a bit of excess wire in the cubby hole for replacing the original "stereo"? Also, I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience running and hiding speaker wire in a trailer? I want to install a pair of Boston Acoustics Micro 90s on the slide out's "header" (the 5th will be stationary for the season) and a small powered sub behind the cabinet in the bedroom. I'm perfectly capable when it comes to wiring a sound system in my house, but this will be my first attempt in my 5th. I want it to look as good as it sounds. Thanks in advance for any help in these matters....
204Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
BulletOwner1

That space on mine contains the two light switches, the awning switch and the slide switch.

Give us a picture when you open the 'mystery box'.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
204Jordan

Old unit removed without too much hassle. I should have realized there'd be hidden screws somewhere!
204Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote