Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
CarbonFun

Speaker and head unit upgrade

We have a 2014 Keystone Carbon 327 and I have done several mods and upgrades on and in it. This is the first of several posts I will make of my mods.

I changed out our 6 crappy interior 5.25 inch speakers for high powered Hertz 6 inch speakers, added an 8 inch enclosed JL Audio sub woofer and a 1000 watt Hertz amp. I also changed our the head unit from some unknown cheap brand to a better Jensen unit that has a built in dvd player and sends an HDMI signal to the television. And the television audio also runs thru the head unit so all television audio runs thru the new speakers and amp.

The system sounds 1000% better than stock and was not that difficult to install. For the speakers I had to make the hole about 3/4 inch larger in diameter. Once the old speaker was removed I cleared the area above the ceiling of any thing that may be in the way. I use a felt market and traced the supplied template over the existing hole and used my dremel tool to cut out the hole. For the speaker screws, I used speed clips or some people call them body clips to mount them to the ceiling. The existing speaker wire was of sufficient gauge and quality so I could use it and not have to run new wire.

I mounted the amp to an existing wall with added bracing and ran all wiring behind the wall. I ran dedicated positive and negative large gauge wire from battery to amp with an inline fuse. See pictures for more detail.
This is a before pic

Now during install and testing. Had to cut out larger space for new head unit.
Mounted amp in cabinet under television and placed sub in existing empty area.
New black grilled speakers mounted in ceiling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
scayne62

Nice work, sounds like a worthy and needed upgrade if you are spending any time at all using the system.
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
CarbonFun

We do spend quite a lot of time in our trailer and it's now a pleasure to listen to music or watch an action packed movie. Now I'm working on setting up an outdoor stereo setup mounted in my forward pass thru.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
ryanita

great work... if the headunit is 200rms x4 channel this means it will put out 50rms per speaker hooked up to it. so if your speakers put out 45rms 5 isnt going to hurt them much so you should be okay to hook up a head unit
ryanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Sherwood

Very nice work. Does that new Jensen have surround sound by chance?

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
trackstand

Is it safe to say that the stereo runs off 12v? so all car audio stuff will work?

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
CarbonFun

Thank you guys, I had a good time installing all the good stuff.

Sherwood,
no that Jenson does not have surround sound. However, we did choose this unit because it does have the HDMI outputs to the television so we can watch our dvd movies in HD. We priced car audio head units that were capable of HDMI outs but they were crazy expensive.

Trackstand,
yes the stereo runs off 12 volt and I ran dedicated 8 gauge wire for both positive and negative from the battery. Now I have to monitor the battery level a bit more closely.