Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Sparky

Question Positive Ground?

OK, I have searched past posts to see if this has been discussed and can't find anything. Here is my problem/question: I know black is positive and white is negative the same as house wiring. I wanted to pull my battery and bring it home to charge it in the house. Upon inspection I noticed the black wire(+/hot) was connected to the negative battery post and the white wire(-/ ground) was connected to the positive post. This confused me so say the least. I traced the white cable directly to the frame and the black went to the breaker posts on the wall. I have the battery home and am concerned on how to connect the leads back on once charged.
Any thoughts?
Pull Rite Hitch
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
BobnLee

You might want to trace those wires again. They tricked me once and I blew the main fuses. They are opposite to house wiring. At least on mine. Mine and I think all others are the same with the white going to the hot side. I have pulled the batteries for the winter but I know I have the wires and the battery boxes marked. I installed a second battery on mine and just to confuse me a little more the guy who made my leads for me put red ends on one and black on the other. I live in a state of confusion at times.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
B&T

My Keystone is +12v=Black -12v=White
Which which is standard RV DC Wiring polarity.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It's quite possible that somewhere along the way, a service technician wired the cables incorrectly ? Color doesn't really matter, the big issue is to be sure the negative battery terminal is connected to the cable which is attached to the trailer frame and the positive battery terminal is connected to the cable that is attached to the circuit breakers/remote control unit.

Without speculating, it's entirely possible that there's a service tech at a dealership who is a brother (or sister) to the factory worker who puts the black tank/gray tank stickers on all our RV's......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BulletOwner1

AC Black hot, white neutral, green ground
DC Red positive (+), Black ground (-)

JRTJH is correct about color not really mattering PROVIDED one carries that through the entire vehicle. (ie Purple is ALWAYS positive and Yellow is ALWAYS negative) This is especially relevant if one is a second or third or whatever owner. I've bought used vehicles/RV's/boats where looking at some of the wiring was really BAD, not to mention, dangerous.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
Sparky

Thanks for the input. I'm going to assume the dealer put the battery back in incorrectly. I will connect white to negative(white goes to rv frame), black to positive. Dealer had my unit to install 2nd ac unit and most likely pulled the battery. Dealers have a habit of leaving something on and draining the battery so they most likely pulled it to bench charge. Terminal nuts were both loose and that is something I always check on my pre trip checklist.
Pull Rite Hitch
Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

SPARKY STOP!!!! reread Johns post! do not assume! fallow the 2 battery leads one will go to the trailer frame the other will go to a circut breaker before heading into the tailer that one is positive it should key word (should be ) black check first before you fry electronics.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Like Barney said, check, double check (then check once more) before you connect anything. In the event the dealer did connect the battery backwards, the two 40 AMP fuses in the converter are probably blown. They are the GREEN maxi fuses plugged in between the DC fuses and the AC circuit breakers. They are tucked away behind wiring in most installations and may be hard to find, but they are there !!!!! If, when you connect the battery, you don't have DC power, those two fuses are your first (and only) protection from destroying your converter if the battery were connected backwards. Their sole purpose is to protect the converter from polarity damage.

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Sparky

Thanks! I will definitely recheck the leads. When I removed the battery the white lead went to the frame, black lead went to the breaker posts on the wall. The dealer had the POSITIVE battery post connected to the WHITE lead. This is where my issue starts.
Pull Rite Hitch
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Sounds like the dealer put the battery in bassacwards once you have it hooked up if you 12 volt lights and accesories do not work you will need to get to the back of the converter like John said and replace the 2 fuses. a pain yes but good thing they are there!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
zuley

I read your post last evening and was a little dumb founded. I wanted to see what others had to say prior to posting. I think a call to your servicing dealer might be in order and question them with your concerns.
Last summer I inadvertantly hooked mine up backwards. I certainly knew which cables were which but I picked the battery up from the ground and put it into the battery box backwards. Just a stupid mistake made while trying to be quick. As soon as I touched the positive cable to the battery for a split second I knew I had made a mistake. I immediately turned the batttery around and wired it correctly. I hit the awning switch inside the door and it worked so figured I had not caused and grief. At the campsite we could not get the fridge to work. Recalling a comment made during our PDI I went looking for a fuse in the fridge we were told would blow if there were any sort of an electrical surge or crossed wiring. Turned out it was located through the access panel on the outside of the camper. Got that fixed. As well I had blown the fuse on the back of the radio. Felt pretty stupid in the end as I have spent pretty much my whole life in the automotive bussiness.
Don't be taking chances if you you are not certain as to which wire is which.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
tdawg

if i were you i would go out and hook up the battery on New Years Eve
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote