Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Pmedic4

Winterized Camping

I've winterized my RV, but in talking with several people they do a traditional January 1 trip, without un/de winterizing their RV, and considering also to do this trip.

Now, without de-winterizing my RV, we are just planning on taking sufficient water in gallon jugs for the minimals - maybe some pot/pan washing in plastic tubs, washing hands/face/brushing teeth/etc., and not using the gray water tanks. However, the exception is using the toilet, but by pouring water down the Black water tank, and then just flushing it more water, draining at the dumpstation and then pouring in another gallon of RV anti-freeze into the black water tank (Not expecting heavy usage - if you know what I mean).

Anyone else done this, and have any other thoughts? Perhaps some bad experiences to be aware of?

BTW, I'm not going if it's below 10 degrees, hoping for more like 30s/20s.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Mark TC

Sounds fun to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
GaryWT

I would guess you try to get next to the heated bathhouse and all will be fine...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Get next to that "heated bath house" or if that's not possible, you can always buy a $49 coleman recirculating toilet to put in the bathroom of your RV. It's self contained, won't freeze (unless everything else does too) and you can take it into the house on your return and pour it down the toilet (make sure your exhaust fan is working) LOL

I know people who "chance the use" of their gray and black tanks, but even if you intend to drain them on the way out of the campground, there's no guarantee that they won't freeze the night before your departure. Remember that any exposed drain pipes from the back of your RV to the sewer lines will be likely to freeze overnight the first night. That will "trap" you into having liquid in your holding tanks until you can get the lines thawed. I'd say it's best just not to use the tanks at all, put a plastic bucket in the sink, brush teeth, etc with that and a gallon container of water, use the recirculating toilet and wash dishes in a couple of dish pans that you can empty outside.

Showers??? Not unless the bath house is open, warm and real REAL close LOL

Have fun, there's nothing like being almost frozen and having "your own home" to warm up in at a campground......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Heated Bath house

I think there is a heated bath house at this campground, but not sure about it being open this time of year, so that prompted my question. I know it's fairly far from the campsites, so didn't want to have to try and run 200 yards in the cold for that nightly trip . Being cold, might have to turn around an go back before I got back to the RV.

Might just do the bucket method.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Laredo291OH

RV antifreeze isn't that expensive, just dump a couple of gallons in the the black tank. I have never tried it, but would think that would keep things from freezing.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
crash

I know there is a heated bathhouse,Heck the whole campground is heated We leave for Key West x-mas day and dont come home till January 6th ,sorry just thought I would rub it in justttttttttttt alittle .
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I know there is a heated bathhouse,Heck the whole campground is heated We leave for Key West x-mas day and dont come home till January 6th ,sorry just thought I would rub it in justttttttttttt alittle .

Have a great time. I did that last year and it was a much welcomed relief.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
mikell

Headed to Key West the end of January for a week or two. Haven't been there in a while and the wife's never been there.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote