Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Jim & Kay

Thumbs up Finally Got Steadyfast Installed

I had planned to install the Steadyfast system last weekend but the weather in Virginia was so cold, I put it off another week. Today's temps in the 60s, so no more excuses, I got it installed. I had already installed the 4 foot plates yesterday and today I finished the installation. It took about 4 hours, was fairly simple and the directions were very clear. Our Cougar HC 291RLS is rock solid. I have scissor chocks between the wheels on each side and they add to the stability. I consider the Steadyfast a very good investment.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
f6bits

Cool. That’s on my list of Spring upgrades. I hear their tech support is great, and I’ll probably give them a quick call before I install.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
bobbyrjw

I have had one on for about 6 months. Great system.

I can put my back set on due to the pull out storage tray on my Cougar. I have to make some special brackets that I haven't got done yet.

Just putting the front set on really stopped a lot of movement.

2000 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed, 7.3L Diesel, Automatic Transmission pulling a 2010 Cougar 324RLB
bobbyrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
reubenray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Kay View Post
I had planned to install the Steadyfast system last weekend but the weather in Virginia was so cold, I put it off another week. Today's temps in the 60s, so no more excuses, I got it installed. I had already installed the 4 foot plates yesterday and today I finished the installation. It took about 4 hours, was fairly simple and the directions were very clear. Our Cougar HC 291RLS is rock solid. I have scissor chocks between the wheels on each side and they add to the stability. I consider the Steadyfast a very good investment.
Was there anything in the way that had to be moved prior to the install? I plan on installing these prior to our first RV vacation in May. I may have to work on the install on several different weekends being I am working out of state. Will battery powered drills have the power to do the work? The Cougar will be in storage and I do not know if I will be able to use any power.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Jim & Kay

If you have a heavy duty battery powered drill that is fully charged, it may do the job. I used an electric 1/2" drill. On our unit, there was nothing in the way that could not be worked around.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
reubenray

Thanks for the reply. I have about 6 batteries so will have all of them charged up. I am hoping I can plug into power somewhere for the drilling if possible for my 1/2" corded drill.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

I've been doin' some reading and viewing on the Steadyfast website (Google), and for some of the trailers that have the slideout "Extra Cargo"
slide-out they were recommending attaching an additional set of stabilizers between the sliding rack and the rear axel. I also remember one of our members had done some weilding to mount his rear set TO the sliding storage racks attaching frame.....

Just a few thoughts for your consideration...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
smabernethy

2012 Cougar 327res

We have the slide out bike rack and I had the bracket welded to the bottom of the rack housing...... works like a charm....

2012 Keystone Cougar 327res 5th Wheel
2006 F-350 Dually
smabernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
hankaye

smabernethy, Howdy;

Was that you that posted some pix of that a few months ago ?????

I remembered it after you posted and helped 'kick-start' my thoughts....

Would ya be so kind as to post how you did the job.. or send a PM.....
I'm fixin'ta order a set-up myself and would appericate the detailed info..
Did you have to re-inforce the section you weilde to or just weild it in place...
any problems or difficulties?????

Thanks
hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
66ken

I posted the pictures of my installation. I didn't do any reinforcement, just welded to the bottom of the slide rail. These are very simple to install and come with good directions. After doing mine, I also did my neighbors in about 1 hour, his did not need to be welded. The frames on these campers drill very easy.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...3323#post23323
Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
MEGrimm

Steadyfast Experience - Laredo 321BH

Just a note to let you know how our field test of the Steadyfast Stabilizer system turned out.

Before heading out I took the time to replace our set of wooden blocks with new ones that were fabricated along the lines described on their website. We are using two 4” X 4”s for each jack/support with a short taper cut on the ends to allow placing them together in a modified “V” shape that matches the design of the base plates provided in the kit. For additional height we have added two 2” X 4”s placed under the heavier blocks in a crib fashion. When additional height is required we can simply add additional 2” X 4”. The new blocks work better than the large flat ones we used to use as they are free to adjust to the contour of the ground better and once set in by the weight of the 5th wheel trailer they are very stable. This arrangement also reduces the total extension of the landing gear and rear support jacks which also seems to help with stability. The struts and clamp locks were very easy to use and putting the Steadyfast system into/out of action only added a couple of minutes to setup and tear down, and that includes walking around the rig checking to see that we had followed instructions correctly. Our 33+/- foot 5th wheel adds a bit of floor flex to the normal rock and roll of a typical long trailer and we have two young children who can’t hold still for more than a few seconds so we were very pleased to find that the Steadyfast system really works exactly as advertised! We had three days of very stable camping on both asphalt and dirt/sand pads and we were able to get this result without the kingpin tripod, 2 supplemental jacks. and 2 screw-stand supports that we have had to use in the past. Can’t imagine how we did without Steadyfast. I would like to see it as an option to Keystone products.
MEGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
hankaye

66ken, Howdy;

Thanks for the link, I've copied and saved them for future use.

Much appericated. The owner here has a tig weilder and is willing to do the weilding for me ..... for a slight charge and I tye him some flys for fishin'

Thanks again,

hankaye