Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
cliff1323

Brake Controller Question

I have a 28 ft Sprinter 5th wheel towed by an '01 Ram 2500. I have Drawtite Activator II brake controller with a digital readout for braking. It reads 0.0 when not hooked up. Now my question. When towing my trlr it will read up to what I set it to for a time, then returns to 0.0 and often does not not add braking power again till disconected. Magnet and brakes were just checked and all was good. What would be the next step?

Well I contacted the manufacturer and was sent a series of test to do and it turns out the controller is faulty....I am now looking for a new controller. Aftyer doing the test I asked the manufacturer if there was a warranty, it has been 3 weeks and I am still waiting for a response. I am NOT looking for a product by DrawTite....
cliff1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Brake controller

I think that your next step is to contact the controller manufacturer customer support an ask some questions as to just how it is supposed to act.

You may have a faulty controller, or it may be connected incorrectly or it may be operating as designed. The tech support should be able to describe how it is supposed to be acting or recommend the proper course of action.

In any event, don't drive it if you have any doubt.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Kevinc2011

Brake controller

I am new to this forum, but I have been pulling RV's for 12 years. The brake controller should never go to 00 by itself and then not brake the trailer until you reset it as you described! A digital controller should be flashing warnings if it stops working in any way! The new digital controller on my 2012 Ram 3500 dually will flash warnings on it as well as the EVIC center on the dash after you unhook and will continue until you shut down and restart the truck. Get that thing checked or replaced to be safe!
Kevinc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
SteveC7010

I agree with Kevin and John. Something is definitely wrong in the system. And it is a very dangerous problem.

From your description, you said that it doesn't work again until disconnected. Does that mean you have to pullover on the side of the road and physically unplug the 7 pin connector to the trailer and then re-insert it? If so, it almost sounds like the 7 pin is coming loose or there is a loose connection in the 7 pin or its wiring.

Regardless, if you're not comfortable troubleshooting this on your own, get it to someone who reliably check it out and fix it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote