Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
kdfrederico

Thumbs down Wiring for power fan?

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I trying to find out if the kitchen roof vent in my 2011 Cougar 327 RES has the necessary wiring so I can install MaxxAir fan in the opening. The vent has no fan now. I I removed the bottom trim at the ceiling but still can't tell.

Thanks
kdfrederico
kdfrederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I was able to get power from several wires in the ceiling near the vent. You have to reach in and search for them. I choose the thickest wire that was not controlled by any switches, tap into it with an inline fuse and I was up and running. .................... Since this post has nothing to do with "Service and Warranty" I am going to move it to "mods and upgrades" where it should get more responses. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfrederico View Post
I trying to find out if the kitchen roof vent in my 2011 Cougar 327 RES has the necessary wiring so I can install MaxxAir fan in the opening. The vent has no fan now. I removed the bottom trim at the ceiling but still can't tell.
In general, RV's are not pre-wired for the add-on's like a Maxx Air. But, as Hank noted, there are usually wires to be found in the ceiling near the vent opening.

On my last trailer, there was a light fixture just a foot or so away. It would have been a simple matter of dropping the light fixture, tapping the hot and ground wires, drilling a hole through the wood frame of the vent opening, and snaking the wires over into the vent opening.

Had I been installing a Maxx Air, I would have used an inline fuse (also Hank's recommendation) on the hot line, and tucked right up in the ceiling behind the light fixture.

The only issue you might run into is that the only wires you find may be for a light that is controlled by a wall switch. In that case, you'd only be able to run the fan when the light is on unless you made some other mods to get around that.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
KenBob

I installed a Shurflo fan in our Fuzion. All the lights nearby were switched. Had to run a wire to an unswitched lamp about 5 feet away. Used fishtape. Worked out fine. Was worth the effort but in my case, not as easy as some. If you have some home improvement skills and understand 12volt RV wiring, you should be fine.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Camp I am

I've been thinking of putting a Fantastic Fan up there on my 327res. Given the height, whatever the brand fan chosen one with a remote control would make sense.

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
witekjm

Smile Wiring for power fan

I'm thinking of doing the same for our Passport 250BH. I've seen some wires in the ceiling after removing vent cover. Can I tap into the smoke detector (which is nearby) wires for safe installation? Thanks,
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by witekjm View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same for our Passport 250BH. I've seen some wires in the ceiling after removing vent cover. Can I tap into the smoke detector (which is nearby) wires for safe installation? Thanks,
My smoke detector has it's own battery (9 volt) .... If you feel around in the ceiling you should find other wires. JM2˘, Hank
Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by witekjm View Post
Best to find a wire that is for a light fixture. Tapping any kind of detector's wiring is not a safe thing to do.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
witekjm

Smile Wiring for power fan

Understood. I'll look around for other wires. JW
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
dspfeiffer

12v vs. 120 volt wiring

I am installing a Maxxair fan in my 31SQB rear bunkhouse. The vent there is unpowered, but there is a nearby fixture. Four separate wires run right past the opening for the vent, but they all look like standard 14/2 house electrical wiring, making me think they are for the 120V outlets. Do they run the 12v lines in regular 14/2 wires? I am not sure how to tell them apart. They can't all be for the receptacles, but which is which? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
dspfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
jsmith948

So far, on our Cougar 282 res, I have found that all of the 12v circuits use automotive type stranded wire and all of the 120ac circuits use romex cable.
Our power panel is just forward of the galley area. I would expect to find at least 5 romex cables in the ceiling near the kitchen vent - microwave, fridge, 120ac outlets, a/c unit and incoming shore power from the rear of the rv.
The 12v wiring should be single wires(not cables)
Hope this helps

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

Just one thought left. If you are passing wires through the rafters and they are not wood but aluminum. make shure you insulate the wires so the do not chafe through and pop the fuse or worse!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
OldCountryBoy

Installed fantastic in bedroom

I installed a fantastic in the bedroom of our Vision. No power there (except 110 for ac) Took the headboard bookcase out found lots of hot wires, fishtaped from fan box. Fan is on remote so didn't have to worry about switching. Actually a tech at Bluedog suggested I just go looking for a light that wasn't wall switched and start there. In the Vision there are 2 reading lites at the head of the bed. Fairly simple.
OldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
witekjm

Wiring for fan in ceiling.

I took Steve's advice and found light fixture wires from a light about 2 ft. away.

Installation of Maxxair fan was pretty easy. The light fixture wire are controlled by a wall switch that we leave on whole camping trip.

Control other ceiling lights individually bit that is no problem. Trailer is much cooler now
Old 09-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
BMcCutcheon

I was getting ready to have my dealer install 2 max-air fans for me while my roof was being replaced. Out of the blue my Dealer calls me and says , come over here I have something to show you. When I arrived he notified me that it would be a waste of money for me to install those fans because he found the problem when he took the bottom interior grill off the AC unit. It appears that 80% or better of my AC was being blown into the Roof Cavity. Keystone did not tape or seal the roof opening al all. My dealer did the job the way it was suppposed to be done and we went on our annual Labor Day Trek to the woods. It was 98 degrees in the shade the entire weekend and my unit stayed at a chilly 68 Degrees all weekend long. Before the fix I could not get the temp down below 80 degrees during the day.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Welcome to the forum. I was able to get power from several wires in the ceiling near the vent. You have to reach in and search for them. I choose the thickest wire that was not controlled by any switches, tap into it with an inline fuse and I was up and running. .................... Since this post has nothing to do with "Service and Warranty" I am going to move it to "mods and upgrades" where it should get more responses. Travel safely, Hank
What size fuse for vortex II fan when tapping off of light I believe the fan draws 2.6 amps on high speed.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
What size fuse for vortex II fan when tapping off of light I believe the fan draws 2.6 amps on high speed.
I would recommend that you use the size fuse that the installation instructions for the fan say to use. Probably 5amp but follow instructions since they know what size wire and circuits are used in their fan. It may use 2.6amps while running on high but slightly higher when starting .... I'm not familiar with that model but may draw more if it opens the vent also.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
If you can, simply match or exceed the gauge of wire that runs to the light. If you do this, then an inline fuse is not necessary---the light's fuse in the fuse box will adequately protect the circuit.

On the other hand, if you use a smaller gauge in the run to the fan, then an inline fuse is necessary, and its rating is dependent only on how much current the wire can carry---not how much the fan draws. This can be found in an ampacity table. For example, if you use #18 AWG copper, the correct fuse is 5A.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

This is what I found on-line from the Vortex II install manual: ....

The Vortex conversion kit is intended to be used on existing Elixir,
Jensen or Ventline roof vents with factory 12volt fans.This kit can also
be used on non-powered versions of the brands listed above; however,
you will need to provide 12 vol~ 18 gauge electrical power to the roof
vent opening. All modifications are made to the interior portion of the
vent; no modifications are required on the roof.

Since they recommend 18 gauge wire a 5 amp fuse would be correct as diugo suggested.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Clark

thanks guys i am tapping off the light, the light wire is 18 guage and i will be running 18 to the vent opening, and will fuse just for safety, Thanks for the help much appreciated!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote