Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Shelbs

Nervous about drilling holes

Ok, so I start by admitting guilt: We just bought a brand new Passport 2850RL and I confess to being nervous about drilling holes in our brand new camper.

I have purchased a large supply of 3M Command products and I am using them for a variety of applications. But we would like to install a towel ring and an 18 inch towel bar in the bathroom. I want it to look nice so a command hook or two is not what I am after here. I will drill if I have to. But I want to make sure I know what the heck I am doing!

I started to hang the towel ring on the outside wall. I measured and was expecting insulation so I was going to sink a couple wall anchors. But I hit metal. It surprised me so I stopped. I think it's a stud because the awning is mounted in the same proximity. But could it be an aluminum wall? In either case, is it safe to continue drilling and sink the screws to hang the ring? I have a fairly solid carpentry/handyman background. But I deal with stick and brick. So my lack of familiarity if making me nervous.

Any input and guidance is greatly appreciated!!!!!

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

You got lucky on that one. The outside walls have aluminum studs and it is safe to drill into them or use self drilling screws. Interior walls are wood studs. In both cases be very careful with the depth of drilling and length of screws as the walls are very thin. Where I didn't hit a stud I used anchors and a dab of Liquid Nails for a little extra hold. Hopes this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Shelbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
. In both cases be very careful with the depth of drilling and length of screws as the walls are very thin. Where I didn't hit a stud I used anchors and a dab of Liquid Nails for a little extra hold. Hopes this helps, Hank
Thanks for your help, Hank!

I think I have a pretty good handle on interior... Been there on previous camper. On exterior, what length of screw can I trust if I go with a self- drilling? 3/4 max? Or longer?

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Bob Landry

The interior walls are gong to be 1/8" luan with a wallcovering over it. If there is anything behind where you are going to drill, it's going to be styrofoam insulation, so you won't get much holding strength there. Anything that penetrates the plywood will work, and I would also put a little adhehive in the hole. If you pull on the rack, it's going to pull loose.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbs View Post
Thanks for your help, Hank!

I think I have a pretty good handle on interior... Been there on previous camper. On exterior, what length of screw can I trust if I go with a self- drilling? 3/4 max? Or longer?
You should be safe on exterior walls with ¾" screws. As long as they are long enough to spread the anchors it's fine. I would not use anything longer than 1" over the thickness of what I was mounting on exterior walls unless I wanted to spy on my neighbors.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote