Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Balldome

Heading to Myrtle beach

We are from Minnesota and heading to Myrtle beach for 2 weeks this summer. Two questions 1- looking for a good but quiet campground on the beach it will be just my wife and me. 2- looking at the map it appears there will be hills before Myrtle beach is there a way around or is it not that bad. Thanks in advances...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
Balldome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Steve:
Try doing a forum search ( "Myrtle Beach" or "Myrtle Beach campgrounds"). There are a few posts about this area and you may find a couple of campgrounds by browsing through these posts.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
byrdr1

Steve do you mean mountains, as in the Smokey's? I know of no way around unless you go down towards AL, and then work your way back up to SC, Quiet campground would be the SC state park(myrtle beach SP, huntington beach sp) CG's. Good beach front CG without all the kids running around on golf carts Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Busy and large CG's Ocean Lakes, Lakewood, Prirateland. I personally like Ocean Lakes. Others enjoy the rest. Quiet & away from the beachs Willowtree RV resort. 12 miles from beach but very nice CG. We are staying here Easter and Thanksgiving. Not sure the best way to get this way. My son just got out of USAF and drove home from ND. he avoided toll roads but had to come down through the mountains to get home. once you get over the moountains it's all down hill . If you haven't made reservations for any CG at Myrtle you may want to call ASAP. they book 18months in advance. most are very busy in the summer.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve, We made essentially the same trip last summer, down to Toledo, Columbus, into West Virginia, through the Smokeys, to Winston-Salem, Greensboro and on to Raleigh. You'd go through W-S, then south to Myrtle Beach. There are a couple of tolls through WV, less than $10 total, and we pulled it with our fifth wheel/F150 with no problems. If you still have the rig you've listed in your profile, I think you'll be OK on I 77 through the mountains. There are only a couple of hard pulls, and truthfully, they were nothing like the Rockies. I'd say go for it and don't worry about the mountains, they aren't that hard a pull. As for camping around MB, make reservations early or you'll be out of luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
antiqfreq

If you are planning on going THIS summer you had better look at reservations right now.

We were at a campground a few weeks ago, Hunting Island State Park in SC
and the ranger said all their reservations are gone 11 months in advance.

Happy Camping,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
danzilla1701

If you are looking for a campghround thats not overrun with teenagers on golf carts and is safe to ride bicylces or just walk or jog, I would recommend Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We have stayed there for many years with and without kids and enjoy it greatly. Most of the ocean veiw sites are pull thru and small picinic shelters on them. The campground is fairly easy to get to and is located near some of the areas biggest attractions.

Safe Travels & Happy Camping!
danzilla1701 is offline   Reply With Quote