Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 05:51 AM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Good morning Marshall..I ordered tires and they should be here any day
I think I asked you before but where do you get your trailer tires serviced?

And do they have room for a fifth wheel or should I bring tires to them?
This round I'm going to Custome Coach in Rosedale. Since they are doing the brake/bearing service they have to take them off anyway. They work on fivers, motor homes, you name it. Ben's Tires in Joppa does a lot of truck and trailer tires (outside behind the building) and has room. They are located on the eastbound side of Pulaski Highway at Oak Ave just east of the Sheetz station They do not balance lug centric but most of the shopes around don't have a clue what it is. I guess if you had an old VW you'd be SOL.

The chain "tire stores" like NTB, Mavis, etc that I'm aware of don't have the space to lpark a large trailer and aren't willing to jack them up, likely for liability reasons. I used to deal with J&H tires on Eastern Ave for many years but their lot is small. Might be an alternative if you remove the tires yourself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:58 AM   #62
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This round I'm going to Custome Coach in Rosedale. Since they are doing the brake/bearing service they have to take them off anyway. They work on fivers, motor homes, you name it. Ben's Tires in Joppa does a lot of truck and trailer tires (outside behind the building) and has room. They are located on the eastbound side of Pulaski Highway at Oak Ave just east of the Sheetz station They do not balance lug centric but most of the shopes around don't have a clue what it is. I guess if you had an old VW you'd be SOL.

The chain "tire stores" like NTB, Mavis, etc that I'm aware of don't have the space to lpark a large trailer and aren't willing to jack them up, likely for liability reasons. I used to deal with J&H tires on Eastern Ave for many years but their lot is small. Might be an alternative if you remove the tires yourself.

Thank you I appreciate the recommendations
Old 02-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #63
Jim2366

We had the repair complete and I am very happy with the work done and the price. The first wheel he took off the brakes fell off in two pieces, the wire was melted and the drum was damaged. The other three wheels did not even had brake pad wear, and were fine.

He repacked the wheel bearing on all four wheels. The he replaced the drum, put new brakes on the damaged wheel. He said the cause was not wear and tear but mechanical breakdown, that caused damage to the other components of the brake.

It took four hours of labor including picking up the parts and the total cost was $672.00 which included a 3 percent charge for using a credit card. That was good advice on watching and asking questions I did learn quite a bit. He did suggest that in the near future to get rear tires. Our 5th wheel is 2 years and 2 months since we bought it new and I think we pulled it about 20,000 to 25,000 miles.

I forgot to mention the left rear jacked failed right before he came and he tested it and the motor is shot. He moved it up using a drill so we could pull the RV forward away from the sewer so he would have room to work on it. Its a Lippert 11 hole 3.0 ground control motor which we will order when we get back home along with two new tires.

Thanks for the input and advice it makes problems easier knowing you have support here.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #64
flybouy
Site Team

Glad to hear you got it all ship shape. I would suggest replacing all five (spare included) with a good quality tire with metal valve stems. Take a look at the tires! tires! tires! section for lots of discussions on tires.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

I could not agree more with Marshall's suggestion - ALL new tires (5).

If you've got 2 years 2 mos. and 20-25000 on the OE tires (probably Trailer Kings) you have been living on borrowed time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #66
gearhead

That's not too bad a price for that work.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes