Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #21
jasin1

I know I’m in the minority here but I don’t drink out the faucet at all, I have a brand new trailer and never had the urge to use the onboard water for anything other then taking showers. I still use a water filter but we keep a case of regular water bottles under the cabinet and a case of Pellegrino, we have a couple larger gallon size water bottles for coffee...water is cheap and I’m pretty sure it’s guaranteed safe for drinking.
I rarely drink out of the faucet at home either.. I spent years doing hvac and plumbing and some of the pipes I’ve seen just made me realize it’s not necessary.

When we have a water main break in my neighborhood, after the repair is complete, sediment will come out of the faucet for a few min..well the way I look at it there is always a repair going on somewhere. I do have a pur filter on my kitchen faucet
Old 04-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Well that gives a whole new meaning to "Don't wade in the creek until you get a bucket full for cooking over the campfire." Or, "Beat the cattle to the waterhole or your drinking water will be slimy and taste like cud.".....

Until Clearly Canadian started selling flavored water, I never gave drinking out of the tap (inside or out) a second thought. Now, with all the "filtered and osmosized" water inside the house, I still turn on the hose out back when I'm cutting the grass, raking leaves or splitting firewood. It beats the "butt chewing" I get when I walk through the kitchen to the sink or to the refrigerator to get a bottle of water, leaving mud, wood chips or mulched leaves everywhere I step...

For me, drinking from the hose in the back yard is the preferred source and definitely the least painful way to rehydrate.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:50 PM   #23
gordo

I use the coiled water hoses.
I store them in a piece of 4" PCV with Caps on each end. Bungied to wall in storage compartment. Takes no room at all
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #24
Zenitrame

Zero G water hoses

I use the zero G hoses. A black one for cleaning the black tank and a blue one for fresh/drinking water. Both are great. No issues with them. They store quite easily. I bought them at Target over the holidays. They had several sizes available and were inexpensive. Could be because of the holidays. I’ve not had any leaks with them.

Milo
Zenitrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I know I’m in the minority here but I don’t drink out the faucet at all, I have a brand new trailer and never had the urge to use the onboard water for anything other then taking showers. I still use a water filter but we keep a case of regular water bottles under the cabinet and a case of Pellegrino, we have a couple larger gallon size water bottles for coffee...water is cheap and I’m pretty sure it’s guaranteed safe for drinking.
I rarely drink out of the faucet at home either.. I spent years doing hvac and plumbing and some of the pipes I’ve seen just made me realize it’s not necessary.

When we have a water main break in my neighborhood, after the repair is complete, sediment will come out of the faucet for a few min..well the way I look at it there is always a repair going on somewhere. I do have a pur filter on my kitchen faucet
Your water is pumped via Baltimore City water system from several resivors. It's some of the best water in the country. The vast majority of bottled water comes from municipal water systems. The bottlers simply filter it and put it in a plastic bottle.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Your water is pumped via Baltimore City water system from several resivors. It's some of the best water in the country. The vast majority of bottled water comes from municipal water systems. The bottlers simply filter it and put it in a plastic bottle.
Oh I’m sure your right.. I am mainly talking about the onboard water systems/ holding tanks..if you don’t properly sanitize them, they develop a “taste”.
I have a 40 gallon water tank on my boat and if it sits for awhile it definitely gets an odor to it..I just find it easier to just use bottled water..BUT have you ever been in houses in Baltimore city and checked out the old water lines running through them Disgusting lol..and backflow preventers are being installed almost everywhere but a lot of homes do not have them... I’m not a germaphobe.. I do drink water from my sink through a filter on occasion... I go through a case of pellagrino every two weeks though as that’s my drink of choice..an ice cold 750 ml bottle is very refreshing and a lot less problems then my drink of choice many years ago
Old 04-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #27
Whitewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well that gives a whole new meaning to "Don't wade in the creek until you get a bucket full for cooking over the campfire." Or, "Beat the cattle to the waterhole or your drinking water will be slimy and taste like cud.".....
I remember watching an old western years ago where the calvary was stopped for the night. A couple of soldiers were arguing whether the coffee taste best if the water came from upriver of the horses or downriver of the horses.

BTW, Zero-G for us. Been using one for 5 years now. Only had one problem and that was when it developed a leak at the fitting. They wanted a pic of the hose with that end cut off and then they sent me a new hose.

Water goes thru a ClearSource dual filtration unit and then an On The Go water softener. All mounted in the basement of the 5r. No matter where we go, the water tastes great.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:12 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Oh I’m sure your right.. I am mainly talking about the onboard water systems/ holding tanks..if you don’t properly sanitize them, they develop a “taste”.
I have a 40 gallon water tank on my boat and if it sits for awhile it definitely gets an odor to it..I just find it easier to just use bottled water..BUT have you ever been in houses in Baltimore city and checked out the old water lines running through them Disgusting lol..and backflow preventers are being installed almost everywhere but a lot of homes do not have them... I’m not a germaphobe.. I do drink water from my sink through a filter on occasion... I go through a case of pellagrino a week though as that’s my drink of choice..an ice cold 750 ml bottle is very refreshing and a lot less problems then my drink of choice many years ago
The only purposes tor my comment was to inform. Many folks think bottled water is some "magical elixer"". A few brands/ bottlers will add minerals but most just use tap water. Your tap water and mine (different system as this county has it's own source) originate from "natural springs" that turn into streams and tivers. Not my buisness if you drink only bottled water, you do you. We filter our water due to high mineral content. It's not "hard water" (iron) but it leves a white trail wherever it's used and spots the cars if used straight up.

I doubt your location would siphon all the way from Baltimore City. Boating was where I found out about holding tank nasty taste many decades ago. The last boat I had I paid the marina to winterize and shrink wrap. They did a great job and never had a FW odor. Most trailers are much easier to drain, winterize and flush than boats IMO.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #29
alrothel

I was using a zero-G hose for a while but the hose connectors are aluminum and corrode super quickly. If left under constant pressure they leak. Stay with a good quality hose, even if they are a little hard to roll up. I have went the short hose route and only use the longer one when necessary. Very rarely do I need to break out the 25' or 50' hoses. My 10' hose with the 6' of hose attached to the filter works 90% of the time.
alrothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
The only purposes tor my comment was to inform. Many folks think bottled water is some "magical elixer"". A few brands/ bottlers will add minerals but most just use tap water. Your tap water and mine (different system as this county has it's own source) originate from "natural springs" that turn into streams and tivers. Not my buisness if you drink only bottled water, you do you. We filter our water due to high mineral content. It's not "hard water" (iron) but it leves a white trail wherever it's used and spots the cars if used straight up.

I doubt your location would siphon all the way from Baltimore City. Boating was where I found out about holding tank nasty taste many decades ago. The last boat I had I paid the marina to winterize and shrink wrap. They did a great job and never had a FW odor. Most trailers are much easier to drain, winterize and flush than boats IMO.
I didn’t take any offense on your response,I like the varying comments especially the ones based on facts rather then personal biases.. I know I’m the weirdo when it comes to water on this site
Old 04-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #31
TahoeTumbleweed

I've been through two of those and if left on in the sun will burst. Now, the Craftsman solid rubber hose from Ace Hdwe is the ticket. Life time guaranteed and just what the Dr. ordered !!
TahoeTumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #32
wborisenok

FWIW, if you do end up going with the Zero G, I just picked up a blue 50-footer at Target for $14.99 about two hours ago. They were in their outdoor furniture/garden section. Seems like an insanely low price, I don't know if they were on sale or mismarked but I might go back to try and find a black 50-footer too! Lowe's is getting $35 for the same hose.

EDIT: I might actually go back and just get two more $15 blue Zero G hoses for black tank flush and general purpose. I can make marks along the whole length with a black Sharpie to indicate the black tank flush hose and green marks on the other for general purpose. Can't beat $15 each!
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:23 AM   #33
nitrohorse

Our favorite local campground is wonderful, except for it's marginal water pressure. I bought a Zero G hose a few years ago and lost what little water pressure was available when we camped at our favorite CG. I now python wrestle with our 35 ft white potable hose when we go to our local getaway. I guess if a CG has good water pressure, the expandable hoses work great.

I also drank out of garden hoses many summers ago. Trick is to let the water run till the warm water flushes out and the cool/cold water follows. We were kids then and life was much simpler. Hell, my Mom would bake cup cakes for me to take into school on my birthday and no one convulsed on her peanut butter icing.

Yup, those were the days.....
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 AM   #34
Bill-2020

For what it’s worth— the potable water hoses (white, marine/RV) are all 1/2” inside diameter (ID), so is the Zero-G hose. I can’t speak for the useless collapsible hoses that some use. I sanitize the water system before each trip, religiously. However we also use drinking water (galllon jugs or bottled) for coffee and such. Our local city water has a bit of chlorine added to it. You can smell and taste it. But that’s Florida for you. If there’s any waterline break we are put under “boil water” alerts until it’s deemed safe to drink in a few days.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:47 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
Our favorite local campground is wonderful, except for it's marginal water pressure. I bought a Zero G hose a few years ago and lost what little water pressure was available when we camped at our favorite CG. I now python wrestle with our 35 ft white potable hose when we go to our local getaway. I guess if a CG has good water pressure, the expandable hoses work great.

I also drank out of garden hoses many summers ago. Trick is to let the water run till the warm water flushes out and the cool/cold water follows. We were kids then and life was much simpler. Hell, my Mom would bake cup cakes for me to take into school on my birthday and no one convulsed on her peanut butter icing.

Yup, those were the days.....
In that situation I would use the cg water to fill my fresh water tank. Thr onboard pump should supply 45-50 psi.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
Our favorite local campground is wonderful, except for it's marginal water pressure. I bought a Zero G hose a few years ago and lost what little water pressure was available when we camped at our favorite CG. I now python wrestle with our 35 ft white potable hose when we go to our local getaway. I guess if a CG has good water pressure, the expandable hoses work great......
Quote:
In that situation I would use the cg water to fill my fresh water tank. Thr onboard pump should supply 45-50 psi.
Or, you could do both. Connect to the campground water supply AND turn on your trailer water pump. The campground water source will supply pressure to the trailer and if it falls below the water pump setting (usually 45-50 PSI) the pump will turn on to "boost the water pressure" to keep it at the pump setting.

The "advantage" of doing it this way is that you won't "empty your fresh water tank as rapidly. If on full hookups, it prevents having to fill the fresh water tank as often. You may find that if the campground water pressure is "too low to get water into the trailer system" that you'll be essentially running on the pump consistently, but usually, if there's a "somewhat reasonable, but low campground pressure, that source will usually supply about half (maybe more) so a 40 gallon FW tank will "last for around 80 gallons" before you have to refill the trailer tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #37
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
For what it’s worth— the potable water hoses (white, marine/RV) are all 1/2” inside diameter (ID), so is the Zero-G hose. I can’t speak for the useless collapsible hoses that some use. I sanitize the water system before each trip, religiously. However we also use drinking water (galllon jugs or bottled) for coffee and such. Our local city water has a bit of chlorine added to it. You can smell and taste it. But that’s Florida for you. If there’s any waterline break we are put under “boil water” alerts until it’s deemed safe to drink in a few days.
I'm going to correct myself here... the blue Zero-G hose at Target is 1/2" ID for $19 and the gray Zero-G at Lowes 5/8" ID for $26. Either way, the PEX it all eventually runs through is still 1/2".