Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
ftroop82

First Time Out - Problems

We bought a 2010 1795QB, our first camper (only used twice per CW), two months ago and this was the first time out, paid $230 for complete check up by CW, prior to pickup). Truck (2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L) pulled the camper fine other than cutting my gas mileage in half (rpms around 2000 to 2300 at 65 mph in tow mode), got the the camper set up no problems, tried to light the hot water heater(suburban) and the pilot light took forever to light, finally lit and the blower cut on, sounded like a jet engine. It was close to 28 degrees so walked inside cut the furnace on(suburban) and furnace ran great. Raised the tv antenna, no stations (Wineguard w/Wingmaster). Ran to nearest Walmart near campground; bought an indoor antenna- instantly picked up 6 channels. Problems start... hot water heater jet engine shut down, I could not get the pilot light re-lit after holding the pilot button down until my finger was blue and my lighter almost ran out of butane; gave up on hot water. Around 0400 hrs, the furnace shut down and the blower would come on, but no heat, never would heat up. Threw another quilt on the bed. Next day back to walmart to pick up a electric heater. Overall, we like the camper experience other than the problems right off, just dropped the camper off at CW for repairs. I do not get good feelings about CW, but we will see......

Anybody out there have this same camper? How do you like it??

PS... Is it normal for the water pressure pump to be LOUD?
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
msp2jxr

I'm really surpised the hot water heated doesn't light itself? Most newer tailers are self igniting with the DSI . Is there a switch inside the camper to turn it on?
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
ftroop82

No switch inside TT, it's only propane.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I could only find specs for a 1790qb but it showed that the DSI w/heater was optional. (Silly question .. are your propane tanks full and BOTH turned on??) Also, did you turn on the amplifier for the Wineguard antenna. (Little green or red light on RF connector)

Try burning a stove burner for a while to purge any air or moisture from the lines. JM2¢, Hank

Yes! most water pumps are loud.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
SteveC7010

If both the hot water and the furnace would not fire up, you probably ran one of the propane tanks dry. Either turn the second tank on, or flip the valve on the regulator, depending on which you have.

Camping in 28 degree weather with the furnace running will use up propane. Were the tanks full when you started the weekend? Cold weather camping pretty much requires you to start with full tanks. With our last trailer, we always carried a spare 20# or 30# that was fairly full. Depending on what type of camping we do this coming year, we will continue to travel with at least one spare 30# bottle.

For the TV, did you turn on the amplifier? Some where in the TT, probably the bedroom is the antenna connection and a 12vdc outlet. There is a little slide switch on the panel and a red LED. Turn the switch on (LED lights) to enable the antenna system throughout the trailer. This should be how the TT is wired, and it does not matter which TV antenna connection you use as they all go through the amplifier.

Yes, the water pumps are moderately loud.

I have not seen a newer trailer in several years that does not have auto ignition and propane/110vac energy sources for the water heater. You might want the dealership to look this over and verify that you really do have a propane only, manual pilot water heater.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
ftroop82

You are correct it is a 1790QB and both propane tanks were full and both opened all the way, we cooked dinner in the oven so the propane was working at least to the stove/oven, the amplifer (green Light ) was on.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
SteveC7010

The control panel for the antenna system looks like this in many of the trailers. Yours may be the same or fairly similar.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
ftroop82

Mine looks similar but has a push button and a green light when the amplifier is on.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
You are correct it is a 1790QB and both propane tanks were full and both opened all the way, we cooked dinner in the oven so the propane was working at least to the stove/oven, the amplifer (green Light ) was on.
Ok, now we seem to be getting somewhere. Not sure of your level of trailer experience but you seem to have a good grasp of things so far. There should be a switch for the water heater inside the trailer that lights up when on just like the water pump switch. The main burner(jet engine) should go off when the water reaches temp but the pilot should stay lit. If the pilot lights while holding in "Pilot" button but goes out when button is released there is a problem with thermocouple .. Either not adjusted or bad. There may also be a reset switch on the W/H sealed under a black rubber circle with barely readable letters saying "RESET". Wind can also drive you crazy blowing out the pilot. It has been a long time since I had a heater like that but I do remember them being a pain at times. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
mhs4771

Be carefull of some CWs. They fill both the tanks on my unit when new, but never purged the air out of them. Ran ok for a while, then there was more air than gas giving very little flame, if you could get one at all. Just something to think about.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote